WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

What's the record for number of times getting norovirus? Between the virus and the skunks I'm getting a tad bit agitated here.......

At least let me die kicking the crap outta one of these bears that seem to have an affinity for my tent.....

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    I noticed that there seems to be no penalty for running out of food, either on health or energy. I went the final 15-20 days without food before dying due to lack of funds.
    The energy seems to go down quicker if you have no food? Or I could be seeing things because my eyes are shot after so many failed attempts!

Woo Hoo! about time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
    Woo Hoo! about time.....
    WOO HOO!! I skeered to keep trying! Not really, I hike too slow or something!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Well, cr@p, I got Lyme disease three times before I got to Damascus. That's gotta hurt.

Edit - then I got it a fourth time before I got to Marion. I am apparently a magnet fot ticks.
    In your dream you were a "chick magnet", but in reality (or at least this game) you ended up just being a "tick magnet".
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    WOO HOO!! I skeered to keep trying! Not really, I hike too slow or something!
    I stayed clean shaven, went slow and asked everyone I saw if they were a thru-hiker and quizzed the heck out of them thereby tricking the game into thinking I was a section hiker and not a participant. Before the software figured out where I came from I was mounting the sign. Epic winning.

Saw too many rattlesnakes, got Giardia and health dropped. But determined I trudged on and died before Harpers Ferry. I will my remaining $4000+ to ATC.

I've come back from the dead and am in Maine. The rain hasn't taken many zero days, I've built up immunity to Giardia, but am low on funds so need to 'buy' a yogi and eat berries and roots.

made it to maine before the umpteenth case of norovirus killed me...going to try again!!

Retiree and Wal Mart are a bad combo.....FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Well, cr@p, I got Lyme disease three times before I got to Damascus. That's gotta hurt.

Edit - then I got it a fourth time before I got to Marion. I am apparently a magnet fot ticks.
    I always knew you were a "tick magnet".

Journal Entries

Default made it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    http://atthruhike.com/

EDIT: Just to be clear, I did not program this game.
    Second try, made it.. Keep eye on health. I kept it above 50. A snake bite takes away 50 health. Made by mid Sept. with 700 bucks left and 32 zero days. HIKE ON!!!

Miller

Died near Stratton, Maine for lack of cash.

Total miles hiked: 1986.3 miles
    Average per day: 12.4 miles
    Zero days: 22 days

Game has some potential. I'm surprised I stayed with it as long as I did. The balancing act between energy, health, mileage and money is driven home forcefully. I don't think I'll be playing it again though. Once was enough.

I think it would be a lot more fun if it was more realistic. For example, most hikers carry their own shelter. If the next shelter is 12 miles the choice shouldn't be to stay at this shelter or hike 12 more miles to the next.

Food management is important, not only having enough food but not carrying many days of food that won't be used before the next town. 5 days of food every time one resupplies doesn't make sense.

And it's not death (rattle snake bites, etc) that takes people off the trail. It's primarily morale.

Obviously people are finding the game entertaining, but it could be fun and a better lesson in planning and tactics at the same time. Regardless, it was interesting to try.

damn, clicked keep hiking by accident, ran out energy and died

Total miles hiked: 1380
    Average per day: 14.7
    Zero days: 22

had $550 left

don't take so many zeros or you'll go broke, sleep more often at shelters for energy... and a secret to the game i didn't catch onto for too long, you can hike monster miles as long as you have energy... its just a numbers game, keep them up and you're fine

entertained, not hooked

1380.1 miles
    14.7 miles
    22 days

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    Food management is important, not only having enough food but not carrying many days of food that won't be used before the next town. 5 days of food every time one resupplies doesn't make sense....
    I think that would be an easy and useful addition. There should be a penalty for carrying too much food but then also an option for the amount of food to buy. Also, maybe if it could then show the distance to the next two towns and shelter, so you can plan a little further out.

Also, it would be nice if there was a progress bar for money spent at the top along with days and miles hiked. Then it would be easier to keep track of you budget (if the dollars spent bar is ahead of your miles bar, you're in trouble).

What is your longest day? I had one in the 80s when my energy surprisingly shot up to 100%. I went for it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Not to be too picky but I think there are technical issues as well -- shelters missing or out of order, distances wrong. But someone could run with this and develop it further. It's got potential.

Needs lots more user input. Eg. how one's cash is spent. No control of that right now. Ability to camp in the woods would be another big plus.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++