WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

No trail name yet
    NOBO
    Early march
    Hiking with my cousin. This will be my 3rd time getting on the trail. The first attempt was more of a trial run and I broke my foot on the 2cd. 3rd times the charm right? :-)

Trail Name: Florida Mike
    Direction: NOBO
    Estimated Start Date: End of March/Early April, good excuse to get out of PC Beach during spring break
    Approach Trail - yes! drill SGT!

Any additional info that you want the world to know: Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I'll be lookin' at your shoes.

Trail Name: Rewind, but open to change. Rewind came from our first shakedown hike when we went 5 miles in the wrong direction and had to call the shuttle driver to pick us up and start over. (Doh!) We couldn't just turn around and re-trace due to time constraints and our car being at the other end!
    Estimated Start Date: March 23, give or take
    Approach Trail: No way! I see no point in adding 8 miles of hell to an already arduous trip at the point where I'm the least physically fit!

I'll be traveling with my partner who does not have his trail name yet. I suggested Fast Forward to go with my Rewind as he is always full-steam ahead but so far it doesn't "feel right" for him. We are both in our 50's and hiking for Life Transitions, looking forward to being part of the Trail Community. I will be a slow hiker due to a gimpy foot, so other snails will be welcome!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pattiwp View Post
    Trail Name: Rewind, but open to change. Rewind came from our first shakedown hike when we went 5 miles in the wrong direction and had to call the shuttle driver to pick us up and start over. (Doh!) We couldn't just turn around and re-trace due to time constraints and our car being at the other end... We are both in our 50's and hiking for Life Transitions, looking forward to being part of the Trail Community. I will be a slow hiker due to a gimpy foot, so other snails will be welcome!
    That is a good story. I like the honesty and humor. You will do well.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by lamarr View Post
    Speakeasy will be out again in '15. Aborted the trip in '11 due to a death in the family. I will be going NOBO from the place I got off(roughly 300 miles in) after the April Fools Bash in Franklin. Ron's party is not to be missed!
    Well things always subject to change!....... I'll be starting near St Patrick's Day again from Springer. Retracing the first couple of hundred miles will be worth it if I can help anybody out that is wavering out of the starting gate. I'm going to try to time it to not miss the Bash.

Default I'm all in!!!

No trail name as of yet
    ESD: Last week of February
    Yes! and NOBO

I'll be blogging on Dustycamel.org not to far down the road. I will pass on start date when I begin.

I'm beyond excited to take on this challenge. I have no false impressions that this will be a 5 plus month trip to Disney World but this has been a dream of mine for so long... Recently I just kind of felt now was the time.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Trail Name / Not yet.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Direction NOBO[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Estimated Start Date / March 15 to 18, 2015[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Approach Trail - yes or no / Not sure yet[/COLOR]

Trail Name- Not received/picked
    Direction- NOBO

Estimated Start Date- April-May
    Approach Trail - Hell yes

sparky2000
    Mar 8
    aproach yes

Ham Sawyer

NOBO

First week of march, still tossed about attending ATKO so either right before or right after that.

Yes approach, I like the gateway and the photos of the falls I've seen, and 8 miles seems pretty inconsequential in this whole thing.

Other info? Hmm I'm usually a pretty slow hiker so I imagine this being closer to a 6 month thru for me. I really enjoy the 10 mile days on weekend hikes and though I'll have to ramp that up a little if I want to finish I doubt I'll be pulling 20's all the time. I like to take my time on the trail, take lots of snack breaks, check out the side trails, get to camp in time to gather firewood if daylight allows it, etc. I figure since I'm pretty much walking away from all security in my life to do this, why rush it?

Great attitude, Ham! If I catch up with you, we'll walk a while together. I'll be a week or so behind you.

Take your time and enjoy. I'll be along shortly...
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    Trail Name: Scruffs & Woodstock
    Start Date: 12/31/2014
    Approach: Yes
    Update:
    Start Date 12/30/2014
    Approach: No
    AT15
    OT15

My husband started calling me "Mr. Underhill" since that's Frodo's "trail name". I think I'm going to keep it because it is sweet!

Default Good Karma Mike

Trail Name- dont have one yet

Direction-NOBO

Estimated Start Date- mid march / april 1st.

Approach Trail - not sure yet

Was not planning on doing my thru hike for another two years, but my hiking partner got his ladie knocked up so he will not be able to do it. So i am embarking on the adventure in 2015 before something happens in my life where it will restrict me from doing a thru hike.

Is their an offical registry for thru hikers?

Trail Name: Short bus

Starting around mid March.

NOBO

Retiring from the teaching profession in January and this is something I have wanted to do since the early 70s. My aunt and uncle were park rangers at Vogel State park back then and actually lived at Neel's Gap before the time of Mountain Crossings. I liked talking to the hikers coming through when I was visiting them during the summer.

Approach: Not if I can help it.

No trail name yet
    SOBO
    May 25, 2015
    thru-hike with my son

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_the_cat View Post
    My husband started calling me "Mr. Underhill" since that's Frodo's "trail name". I think I'm going to keep it because it is sweet!
    Does it make me a nerd if I caught that immediately?

Name: Dusk
    Direction: SOBO

Start Date: May 25th-Mid June
    Approach Trail - Nopes

I'm starting my sobo trip after I graduate! Since I graduate mid May, I have to wait until Maine opens. If anyone is going the same time and wants a buddy, please let me know!!

Going to do 1/2 a thru hike. Southbound from Harpers Ferry to Springer. Heading out April 1.

Knitwit
    Departure date April 4, 2015
    NOBO to Harper's Ferry (or thereabouts) and flip-flop from Kathadin to where I left off.
    I am hiking wth my standard poodle much of the way, and am doing the flip-flop because I am untried (though training now) and older and I want to make sure that I do not have to rush throught New Hampshire and Maine and risk injury from needing to make time,

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++