WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Military Veteran and meds. on thru-hike

This question is mostly for 1.)Obviously, Veterans of any service, 2.) Is or was on medications of any type from the VA, 3.) Thru-hiked while having had to have there meds. How did you manage your refills? I take a number of meds. Four of them I can't miss a day or bad things happen so, no option of missing any days. To complicate matters a little more, I can only get 30 days at a time, I will most likely be with a group and on a schedule. I'm just trying to get a feel of how other may have dealt with a similar issue. And if other thru-hikers what to share, that's fine also.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

Can you use the consolidated mail order pharmacy and have them mail dropped to you by a family member on the trail?

I got my VA to give me 6 mo. of my meds. Talked my brother into mailing half to Harper's Ferry.

Images

I just spoke with the Primary Care Physician and got mine on a 90 day refill by telling them that I would be on the trail. Then had the wife refill the prescription forwarded to me by mail.

Images

Hey, DY !

I'm now on three meds that are fairly necessary. I can skip days, but not have bad things happen. One for memory, two for bladder/prostate. I'm planning on going to the doc 3-6 months out and explain things to her/him (depends on who it is at that time) and see if I can get 3-6 months at a time.

This is the same time frame as getting a complete (again) physical to make sure nothing ELSE is creeping up on me.

I'm also going to check pharmacies on or near the trail to see if they take Tricare Prime and just pay for them if I need to.

My work HSA stops when I'm on a leave of absence, so that's no help.

Good luck.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Hey, DY !

I'm now on three meds that are fairly necessary. I can skip days, but not have bad things happen. One for memory, two for bladder/prostate. I'm planning on going to the doc 3-6 months out and explain things to her/him (depends on who it is at that time) and see if I can get 3-6 months at a time.

This is the same time frame as getting a complete (again) physical to make sure nothing ELSE is creeping up on me.

I'm also going to check pharmacies on or near the trail to see if they take Tricare Prime and just pay for them if I need to.

My work HSA stops when I'm on a leave of absence, so that's no help.

Good luck.
    Damn Yankee, I use a Tricare Prime mail order pharmacy, I called and told them that I was planning on being gone for six months, what could I do about my prescriptions. they said that I could request a six months supply and get it approved, normally I get 90 days. Try it.

Thanks for the help. I will talk with my PCT or VA pharmacist and see if I'm able to get 6 months worth and just have the misses mail them forward

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Journal Entries

I also spoke with my physician and the pharmacy and they both told me that when the time arrives for my hike they would give me a 6 month prescription. I'm glad to hear that others have been able to do the same. It was a year ago that I brought up the subject so I haven't really tested their word at this point.

I was going to basically say what everyone else has stated so it's covered. Plus, if you are doing the through hike with Warrior Hike, you'll have documented proof you are doing the hike so it shouldn't be a problem.

Journal Entries
    Images

Great question since I am a vet- totally and permanently disabled thru the VA system- and will thru hike NOBO in 2016. Pain meds, among others, have been a constant worry and this thread helped tremendously. I use TRICARE and will talk with primary care about the refill system. Wife is with me so will need a trusted person to fill and then send meds. One question- how safe are we on trail with those type of meds? Not getting attacked or anything- just theft. I know one way is to be quiet about them- but I also know stuff happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ericmack View Post
    Great question since I am a vet- totally and permanently disabled thru the VA system- and will thru hike NOBO in 2016. Pain meds, among others, have been a constant worry and this thread helped tremendously. I use TRICARE and will talk with primary care about the refill system. Wife is with me so will need a trusted person to fill and then send meds. One question- how safe are we on trail with those type of meds? Not getting attacked or anything- just theft. I know one way is to be quiet about them- but I also know stuff happens.
    Nobody's going to steal your stuff unless you advertise that you have it. Hikers are mostly good people.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks- my feeling too. Just wanted to get the wisdom of those who have walked this before me.

remember also, if you have a current RX on file, say at your home pharmacy, you can go in any pharmacy. Explain what is up. they will contact your home pharmacy, get the RX and fill it. No 'mailing the meds" needed. I had to do this once, we were in my grandparents small PA mountain town. I had not brought an RX cause I didn't PLAN on hurting my bad back. Went down to the local pharmacy. they called our home (TX) pharmacy. I walked out with my RX about 30 minutes later.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

One question- how safe are we on trail with those type of meds? Not getting attacked or anything- just theft. I know one way is to be quiet about them- but I also know stuff happens.
    Just don't leave them in plain sight like on the top of your pack or on a bunk in a hostel while your out doing something else. That goes for anything other small, valuable items. Somebody might risk picking up something of value laying in plain sight if you tempt them, but won't risk rummaging through a pack.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Just don't leave them in plain sight like on the top of your pack or on a bunk in a hostel while your out doing something else. That goes for anything other small, valuable items. Somebody might risk picking up something of value laying in plain sight if you tempt them, but won't risk rummaging through a pack.
    I used to sail a bit and friends of mine were able to do the same thing for the six month supply. All they did was tell their doctor they were planning a trip abroad and he wrote them a six month scrip. Ran out once and called in and he verified the renewal with the local pharmacy who refilled another 6 months for them.
    Rolex

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks- never in a million years thought of that!
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    remember also, if you have a current RX on file, say at your home pharmacy, you can go in any pharmacy. Explain what is up. they will contact your home pharmacy, get the RX and fill it. No 'mailing the meds" needed. I had to do this once, we were in my grandparents small PA mountain town. I had not brought an RX cause I didn't PLAN on hurting my bad back. Went down to the local pharmacy. they called our home (TX) pharmacy. I walked out with my RX about 30 minutes later.

Journal Entries
    Images

Another example of the importance of a homebase person.
    Honesty and good relationship with two doctors can also do the trick.
    Sometimes the same drug has two versions. Get one from VA. One from primary each for 90 days.
    Example: Metoprolol tartrate 50 mg twice a day from VA.
    Metoprolol Succ ER 100 mg once a day from primary.

Exact same med. But each Doctor will require their own blood work for legal reasons.

Never had a doctor say "Look I'm going to ruin your hike over a beta blocker."

Thanks- never in a million years thought of that!
    Know also, you can use Sams Club or CostCo. Without being a member. You can walk in, go straight to the pharmacy and get what you need, RX filled.
    Also, pharmacies will transfer within your area. One time I was on some drug that there wasn't much call for. I'd already filled it once at Kroger's. Went in to refil it and yep, NOT IN STOCK. Seems while they had reordered, someone else was also placed on the med. So, the pharmacist said "have a seat". She called the Walgreen down the street, not in stock. She called the next pharmacy, the CVS. Not in stock. She called....finally, like third call to ANOTHER pharmacy, they had it, she transferred the refill. By the time I drove to the other store, it was sitting there ready for me to pay for it and pick up.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Journal Entries
    Images

Great answers and frankly- great relief reading these replies. Hadn't thought of half of them and look forward to a long chat with primary care about my options. Thanks to all who replied- my meds are many- from beta blockers/ACE Inhibiters to various other ones that are less normal. Thanks again.
    Eric

++ New Posts ++