WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

dude, im sold. if I dont end up with a case of H Topper then that money is definitely going to a few pounds of this. the pictures have me salivating.

what's jerky got to do with speed hikin'?

Not to hijack an anti-whey thread.... but I use "MHP Up your Mass" Choclate Brownie or Macaroon weight gainer mixxed with water on hikes..... it's an easy 1000 calories and tastes amazing.

Just dont let it sit in your bottle without washing it out for too long. Tastes great with cool water though and doesnt make you feel like you ate a ton of salt if you wanna go light.

Oh.... also, you get 5lbs for about $33..... which is a ton of drinks.

Images

House of Jerky and Such in Helen GA had some of the most unusual Jerky.
    DSCN0372.jpg

Slab jerky sounds really good. Just ordered a couple pounds. Thanks for posting.
    Had been making my own and/or buying from jerkynet.com, but if it's as good as you say, I'll be a good customer.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I keep a folder of gear bookmarks in my browser for future reference. Bookmarked!

Quote Originally Posted by harmonjazzman View Post
    Thanks! Ordered 3lbs today
    Let me know what you think!

I was in the newest Buc-ee's last Friday. Sampled some of their turkey jerky. First, it was real slabs of turkey breast. It was edible and tasted ok.
    The price is outrageous: $32/pound. Alas, I can't handle that.
    Thanks to all the good, reasonably priced sources mentioned above.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by harmonjazzman View Post
    Got my 3 lbs in and finally cut into it tonight. It really is amazing. The bark is rather tough but rich and smokey. The center, however, is soft and tender...full of flavor...absolutely addictive. My gf prefers the regular as it has a nice spice in the bark. I prefer the spicy because the mild heat sits on your tongue a little longer. The aroma of smoke fills the room. Definitely our new favorite trail food!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    Glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    It comes a bit moist fresh from the smoker. You can store it in the freezer to maintain the moisture level/tenderness. Just make sure to completely thaw it prior to packing it by putting it out on the counter for a few days before you pack it. I made this mistake before when I had someone doing maildrops for me. They dropped the jerky in the boxes frozen and it got a bit fuzzy on the outside. I scraped off the fuzz and ate it.

You can also simply hang the jerky up or store it in a paper bag in the pantry. It continues to dry out and does eventually get fairly tough. No biggie if you are cooking it or willing to slice thin strips to chew on.

If/when it dries to fast it can also get a bit of white powder on the surface. This is what they call "salt bleed" and are simply salt deposits left as the jerky continues to dry. Had this happen a few times when I bought a few slabs and left them in the car for a few days in warmer weather.

I have also made pemmican with this jerky. Simply leave it out for six months until it gets brittle, then use a mortar and pestle to smash it into sawdust. The jerky dust is also excellent in soups or with mashed potatoes. If somehow the jerky escapes my mouth long enough to dry out too far for normal tastes then I set it aside for this use.

To the best of my knowledge, the slab jerky does not go bad. Archeologists have found pemmican prepared by Native American's that was over 200 years old and still edible. I have personally eaten it after roughly a year (found a bag in the bottom of the car camping box).
    Two weeks ago, I opened one of the packs and had a piece, then put it in a zip lock bag. Opened it up today and there were multiple large spots of mold on both sides. Should I have left it out on the counter longer before bagging it? Not sure where I went wrong...

For folks who want their jerky made from grass fed beef with no sugar I recommend these people:

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categor...f%3ABeef+Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Two weeks ago, I opened one of the packs and had a piece, then put it in a zip lock bag. Opened it up today and there were multiple large spots of mold on both sides. Should I have left it out on the counter longer before bagging it? Not sure where I went wrong...
    Yar, it is still drying when it's fresh. It's more moist and tasty that way, but to preserve the moisture it's best kept in the fridge.
    For the trail, I usually leave it in the butcher paper it comes in and keep it on the counter for a week or two until it dries out better.
    For packing I put it into a brown paper lunch bag so it can breathe.

I typically chop it into 2 ounce cubes or strips for portions and then brown bag it. After it sits out a week I put in the freezer until it's ready to go and let it thaw on the counter for a day or two. Unfortunately when my brother did my mail drops on one trip he just pulled it out and chucked it into a baggie and shipped it, leading to the same problem you have.

The good news-
    Mold- actual spots of mold
    Salt bleed- a powdery/spotty coating of white dust.

If either problem occurs- just wash the jerky off, scrub any stubborn spots and eat it. No kidding. One of the reasons I love this jerky is even when you screw it up, that's all you have to do to fix it. I learned the salt bleed trick from Mike Held, I learned the mold trick out of desperation when my brother screwed up my drops. (I wasn't tossing away the jerky) I'm sure more scientific folks may disagree, but the meat is fully cured and the mold is just growing on the bit of moisture that seeped out. I have scrubbed off and eaten several pounds of it over the years this way. We've been taking it on climbing, canoe, backpacking and car camping trips for over twenty years. We've all left it in the wrong place or shoved it in a baggie and forgotten pieces and ended up in the same boat.

Every issue with Mold I've had has been human error, I've never had a piece go bad on it's own. That said- Held's will refund any of their products if needed.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 04-08-2014 at 09:27.

Good deal. I also got a voicemail from them yesterday indicating they'd send me a replacement, so their customer service is excellent. Thanks for the suggestions on preventing this in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++