WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Port Clinton Mail Drops...

I did try a search and I had no luck, so here goes: Does anyone know of any mail-drop options in Port Clinton PA besides the post office? Looks like there's a real chance I'd be there on the weekend and don't want to rely on the Post Office for my resupply box. I've tried calling the PC Hotel, no one ever answers for some reason (so I take that as a probable "no").

Any info appreciated, thanks in advance.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nothing comes to mind. Port Clinton is very small. Other than the Port Clinton Hotel, The Companion lists the Union House Bed & Bath (610)562-4076 and a Microtel (610)562-4234. The Microtel is a mile or two away on a very busy road. As for the Port Clinton Hotel, they tend to close for about a week every Jul, usually around the 4th.

The Port Clinton Post Office is definitely one of the easiest to access on the AT. It is probably less than 50ft from where the trail turns out of town. And, the B&B is right across the street. So, the only inconvenience to the PO is your date of arrival. I would just make sure the package arrives before you do and then just make it so you arrive during the week. How are you able to tell now, that you will arrive on a weekend?

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

norovirus awareness

Journal Entries
    Images

There is the Port Clinton Hotel but I don't think they have mail drops. The only place is the post office.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Nothing comes to mind. Port Clinton is very small. Other than the Port Clinton Hotel, The Companion lists the Union House Bed & Bath (610)562-4076 and a Microtel (610)562-4234. The Microtel is a mile or two away on a very busy road. As for the Port Clinton Hotel, they tend to close for about a week every Jul, usually around the 4th.

The Port Clinton Post Office is definitely one of the easiest to access on the AT. It is probably less than 50ft from where the trail turns out of town. And, the B&B is right across the street. So, the only inconvenience to the PO is your date of arrival. I would just make sure the package arrives before you do and then just make it so you arrive during the week. How are you able to tell now, that you will arrive on a weekend?
    Fair question!!! I'm just doing a 400 mile section, starting a couple hundred south of PC, and at my "normal" pace with no zeros, I would arrive at PC on a Friday, meaning probably more like a Saturday (one zero in there), meaning good chance I'd miss the PO being open, hence my question. Thanks for the info, I'll probably just use the PO then and hope. The one single time I used a PO on the AT up to this point (NOBO last year), I was forced to take a nero because of the PO hours. No biggie though. I wonder if Cabelas takes mail drops? Worth a call I suppose.

Journal Entries
    Images

'Sometimes' Cabela's will pickup hikers at the Pavilion in PC. But, then again, unless you have a special dietary concern, why send a maildrop to Cabela's? WalMart is nearby, and if you are already at Cabela's, resupply would be easy. Just my thoughts . . . (I would not rely on a pickup/return trip from Cabela's)

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Not in the Companion description (will be 2015) they do accept mail drops but you may want to call 1st, especially if you're not staying. If staying ask for the hiker rate. (10% off)

Microtel Inn
    50 Industrial Drive
    Hamburg, PA 19526

610-562-4234

(I'll add this to the Mailing label page as well)

Why even bother? Palmerton is only 2 days away. Resupply at the Pine Grove supermarket and get a meal at Port Clinton as you pass through.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Why even bother? Palmerton is only 2 days away. Resupply at the Pine Grove supermarket and get a meal at Port Clinton as you pass through.
    Palmerton, Hamburg what's the difference? We don't know what direction he's hiking but he can resupply in either town but get a drop closer to the trail.

Duncannon to Port Clinton = 70 mi, Port Clinton to DWG = 76 miles (no real need for Palmerton/Slatington)

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Palmerton, Hamburg what's the difference? We don't know what direction he's hiking but he can resupply in either town but get a drop closer to the trail.

Duncannon to Port Clinton = 70 mi, Port Clinton to DWG = 76 miles (no real need for Palmerton/Slatington)
    He said he's starting couple 100 miles south of Port Clinton. Palmerton has several grocery stores to choose from and the free town hostel, so it makes a better stop then Port Clinton. When I went through PA, I ate lunch at a supermarket or resturant almost every day and still averaged 20 mpd.

Images

Yeah folks, thanks for all the thoughts. I'm just going follow advice below and carry a bit more of my "essentials" from the last resupply point and shop-resupply to keep it simple and not rely on PO timing. Truly, thanks!

What's the name of that candy store next to the restaurant/pub in Port Clinton?

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    What's the name of that candy store next to the restaurant/pub in Port Clinton?
    The peanut shop. If you want candy, any and all kinds, that's the place to shop.

The peanut shop loves hikers, we smell like money to them. If you need to resupply with food hike the Schuylkill River Trail to Hamburg. They got a good grocery store. No need to hitchike and rely on strangers for a ride. It is a bit of a hike though.

++ New Posts ++