WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Carry your pack on a treadmill with an incline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been walking my treadmill wearing my old pack with a couple of gallon jugs of water packed inside, just for starters.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Got my gear all in. Still compiling total pack weight. Need to gather the rest of my small items, yet.

Big Four add up to 9.3 lbs on my spreadsheet. I'm pleased with that. I hope to end up with a base weight just on the heavy side of 20. That will keep me well under thirty with food and water and...

<Oh, hell. I'm a gram weenie...>

I just received my 1st gen GoLite Jam 50 last week. I'm going to be making my own hammock, tarp, and underquilt. I figure this will save me some serious money and allow me to better tailor those to my needs. I believe I can save some weight by doing these as well, instead of just buying them from Warbonnet, Hennessey, or the like. Using other hammock makers end products as a guide I believe I may be able to get my Big 4 down to about 4 pounds, under 5 for sure. Been doing lots of reading about other stuff but I think I'm going to take the less is more approach. Using Geargrams, I think I can keep my total pack weight at 20 pounds with 4 days of food and water.

That's good, wdanner. Keep at it, and you'll be in negative grams in no time. You'll be so light, you'll float up to Katahdin.

After additional spread sheet computations today, my "big four" is at almost exactly 10 lbs. Total base weight is sitting at 16.9 lbs, and I still have a few things to add. Trying to keep it under 20...I hope...before food and water. I'm a brute so I can handle it...I hope.

Only the trail will tell.

Cool

I have been planning and buying gear for two years now, so I am currently on the implementation phase. I am trying out all my gear on local trails and figuring out what will work and what doesn't. I HIGHLY recommend this to all of you as this has taught me so much about preparing for the trail, swapping out equipment, and feeling comfortable with my gear. I am currently on the hunt for a UL tent because of this practice. I am also working on a comprehensive spreadsheet based on AWOLs guides to plan my food drops, lodging, outfitters, trail angels, etc. Make sure to get the AT guide when it comes out-best resource around imo. I am also working on my budget and health insurance options. T

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++