WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How do you keep your tarp guy-lines organized?

I have an ENO Dry-Fly tarp which I have thus far set up only in my back yard. I like it, but as I was stuffing it back into it's bag, I realized the eight lines (two tie ups and six tie-outs) are going to come out in a birds nest. Does anyone have a nice system to keep these things under control when packing them away?

I made a pair of diy snakeskins out of no see'em mesh. Found the design on hammock forum and modified it for the eno tarp. The design had plans for pockets at either end for the ridge lines and the tension lines roll up with the tarp. The whole thing with the skins still fits in the original bag. If you haven't seen or used snakeskins before check them out there great for faster setup and breakdown. Its a nice way to air out your tarp on the go too.

I've been using the same tarp since 2008 (MLD Grace Solo). I fold my tarp so as I fold it up I throw the guy lines in. The end lines get thrown in as I fold the tarp along its center axis. The 3 side ones along the side facing up then get thrown in as I fold it in half again. The slightly longer time needed to fold the tarp is more then made up by the fact that I never have to untangle the guy lines when I pull it out at night. I use to take the time to wind up each line with a rubber band but the rubber bands were all breaking at the wrong time then I realized that it wasn't really necessary and just wasted a lot of time.

AT 2012

This is what I've been doing lately. I pull the stakes out - they are permanently fastened to the guy lines, and let them lie on the ground on each side of my hammock. Then, leaving one end of my rain fly tied to a tree I start bunching and rolling from one end, first getting the ridge line in the beginning of the roll. Then when I get near the first two tie outs I grab one of the stakes/tie outs and roll that entirely in, then grab the opposite and do the same... Keep on going and repeat for the last two tie outs, then end by winding the ridge line around the whole thing. The key is to make sure that each line is wrapped independently into the fly. When I put the fly up, as I unroll it the tie outs generally fall to the ground separately, and if there is a tangle it is minor. I've given up on the wrap each tie out separately approach -- takes too much time in the cold for me to deal with. I hope this makes some sense...
    Lazarus

Wow, good info guys, thank you.

If you feel like spending some money and upgrading, you could replace all your lines with reflective spectra cord. That stuff is stiff so it doesn't tangle on you. Also the reflective spectra is a great upgrade I must say myself. Especially on hammocks, most people know to stay like at least 5 feet away from a tent cause of guy lines, but sometimes when I set up my hammock my lines go out far away from my hammock, sometimes 15 feet. The reflective cordage helps other people not trip over your fly guy lines and ruin they're and your night.

The reflective stuff is a great idea. It also makes a great food hanging rope as you can locate it easier.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I used to untie the lines each night and coil them up. But they still tangled in coils. Over time, the lines have gotten stiffer with rain and dirt. So now, I just undo the stakes and stuff the tarp in my stuff sack. While they could tangle they usually don't. Makes set up and tear down easier. A lot less fumbling to tie knots and hook of line locs with cold fingers or in the rain or...
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    The reflective stuff is a great idea. It also makes a great food hanging rope as you can locate it easier.
    It didn't hold up well for me, the reflective threads got pulled out when pulling a bag over a rough limb.

Images

I tie a short length of it on my bear bag, maybe a foot long. It's enough to see with a headlamp.

My tarp has little pockets on the corners where the tie out ropes go. Coil them up, jam in the pockets. No mess in the sack. The pockets come standard on the Hennessy hex tarp, but they would be easy to add on other tarps if you have some spare nylon and a sewing machine.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

I've been using the NiteIze Curvyman thingies for rolling up my lines. I use thin zingit and can get two lines on one of these things, so just leave two Curvymans attached to the tarp for that purpose.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries

I used the spectra cord, never more then a occasional knot even when the strings are all together bunched up.

I have zing-it. I just figure-8 them over my index and pinky fingers. then a few wraps of the line to cinch it. then, roll that all up into the tarp (superfly and a hammock gear cuben). Pull on the mesh (mountaingoat) snake skins. Done. They stay perfect.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I used the spectra cord, never more then a occasional knot even when the strings are all together bunched up.
    Agree. I've never had a tangle just wadding them together.

Images

I color coordinate the pull out lines of my tarps. I put all one color lines on side of the tarp and a different color on the other side ( Yellow / Orange for example ) and they stay on the tarp. I find I have less tangles than when I use to remove them and wrap them separate.

I just figure-8 them over my index and pinky fingers
    I have used this system for my Tarps CRL and it works pretty good unless you are using the new Dutch Wasp and or TATO's
    Continuous Ridge Line Tarp Connector. Due their configuration I find I have to wrap them around something to keep the Wasp and or Ridge Line Connector from getting tangle in the line.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    If you feel like spending some money and upgrading, you could replace all your lines with reflective spectra cord. That stuff is stiff so it doesn't tangle on you. Also the reflective spectra is a great upgrade I must say myself. Especially on hammocks, most people know to stay like at least 5 feet away from a tent cause of guy lines, but sometimes when I set up my hammock my lines go out far away from my hammock, sometimes 15 feet. The reflective cordage helps other people not trip over your fly guy lines and ruin they're and your night.
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I used to untie the lines each night and coil them up. But they still tangled in coils. Over time, the lines have gotten stiffer with rain and dirt. So now, I just undo the stakes and stuff the tarp in my stuff sack. While they could tangle they usually don't. Makes set up and tear down easier. A lot less fumbling to tie knots and hook of line locs with cold fingers or in the rain or...
    Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I use very light wt Spectra on my side ties outs and something perhaps a bit stronger at the apex guy outs to attch to trees, dedicated tarp poles, trekking poles, etc on all my cat tarps permanently tied to all the guy outs and w/ adjustable releasable bowline hitches(loops) on all the side guy outs. I just stuff it all into the stuff sack and have little to no tangle issues just as others have said.

++ New Posts ++