WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Finally, don't discount the total pack weight. The Atmos series is built for lightweight loads, and in my experience is great under 25 pounds and miserable above 30. At higher weights, the hip belt starts to collapse and the pack shifts down on your back, putting all the weight on the shoulders.
    Agree 90%. I say only 90% because even at 30 the Atmos is a bit overloaded. I'd say more like 25-27 is tops for this pack to be comfortable on me, at least. I have no hips though, meaning I need a much more substantial hip belt on a pack for it to take weight off of my shoulders during a hike.

I've owned many Osprey packs, the Atmos, Exos, Aether. The first two are great lightweight packs, but again, only up to 25# or so. The Aether can carry significantly more (40-50), but weighs 5 pounds, more like an expedition pack. If you want a lightweight pack that CAN carry loads comfortably, check out some different packs, like the ULA packs. The OHM/Circuit packs have much better hip belts than the lightweight Ospreys and carry 25-30 pound loads much more comfortable for my body type (no hips).

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver21 View Post
    Oh and I don't know what to say about the FL trail. I did part of it in Milton / Munson / Baker area (Jackson trail). It was well marked and well groomed. I didn't find it particularly interesting. Just a path though a bunch of pine trees some of which have burned in the last couple of years. The only other place I have hiked was southern AZ and I think AZ was much better but the SW was new to me while this is familiar.

I stayed near bear lake and something decided to poke around my campsite. I didn't hear much stomping around but did hear some heavy breathing. I said "go away" and I guess whatever it was did. I swear something pushed against the tent and I pushed back but I woke up with my arm on the side of the tent so maybe I was dreaming that. Nothing got into my pack or anything so no foul I guess.

Probably an armadillo.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Images

It may be how you are pptting on the pack. Try putting on the pack, bend over and kike it up before you connect the buckle onthe hip belt. Then pull the adjustments on the shoulder straps. When you stand up the pack should feel like itis riding too high on your hips. The hipblet buckle should be tight and directly over your belly button, this way the weight fo the pack is on the top of your hip bones. Just a suggestion, but if I don't start with the pack hipbelt very high, I do not get the full benefit of the weight transfer from shoulders to hips. Just a thought. Also, I put the heaviest (food) on the bottom and work up the pack to the lightest. I find this helps with stability and balance...Just some thoughts....

I was told by the outfitter that you wanted heavier items higher to keep from pulling back. I think I just had the hip belt too low. I also think it is too big. When I raise the hip belt up near my belly button and really tighten it the buckles almost touch.

Section Hiker

I hate to speculate, but it really sounds to me like you have the wrong pack. I had a heck of a time finding the right one for me. If you're starting this Wednesday--did I read that right?--you don't have time to mess around. Definitely someone at Hiker Hostel should be able to help you with fit, adjustments and packing your load properly (be sure to ask nicely and express your gratitude!)... But you will walk right into Mountain Crossings 31 miles up the trail. That's the outfitter. If your current pack is still killing you by then, spend the money there (up to $250 maybe) to have them get you into the right pack. The success if your hike likely depends on it. Have a great hike!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Yes I am starting this Wednesday. I hope to be able to make this pack work since I went to an outfitter specifically to have them help me get it right the first time. I was close to just ordering a Granite Gear 60 online and knowing what I know now, I wish that I would have. Oh well live and learn I guess.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver21 View Post
    Yes I am starting this Wednesday. I hope to be able to make this pack work since I went to an outfitter specifically to have them help me get it right the first time. I was close to just ordering a Granite Gear 60 online and knowing what I know now, I wish that I would have. Oh well live and learn I guess.
    Maybe I missed it, but where are you starting from? If there is an outfitter along the trail where you are hiking, you will have an opportunity to either get the pack fitted correctly, or swap it out with one that does fit.

I would do two things at this point.

1. Do everything you can to minimize the weigh you are carrying. Remember 1 lt of water weighs ~2 pounds, so that may be an easy place to start (not knowing what you are carrying). Even dropping 3 or 4 pounds can make a huge difference.

2. Get the weight on you hips the best you can. I think it was Starchild that mentioned a breast strap (sorry if it was someone else), If the pack cannot sit on your hips like it should without the top of the pack falling away from your body, a breast strap can help.

The breast strap works like a sternum strap, but wraps around your body to the point where the shoulder straps attach to the pack. What the strap does is allows you to run the shoulder straps a little loose to get the weigh on your hips, without allowing the pack to fall away from your back.

A breast strap is not a replacement for a pack that fits correctly, but it can be a short term solution if you have no choice but to use the pack you have. I have used these with scouts that have grown out of their packs between hikes. It can make the difference between misery, and a fun hike.

Why aren't you at the store where you bought the pack right now? Either getting the folks there to show you how to wear your current pack correctly. Or, getting a different size and/or a different pack?
    I suspect Option 2 is the correct answer.
    The padded ends of the hip belt should not ever be touching each other unless you have the belt up around the soft part of your midsection. The hip belt should be firmly resting on the solid bones of your pelvis.
    Go back to the shop where you bought it. Don't leave until you have the correct solution for carrying 30 pounds comfortably.
    We have done all we can do by speculation and remote control.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I appreciate all the help. I really do. I loaded the pack with everything I am taking and I have a reservation tomorrow at Hike Hostel. I am starting at Springer. I adjusted the pack again and settled the hip belt much higher and much tighter. This took the weight off my shoulders. I believe part of the issue (could be all of the issue) is my fault. I was wearing the hip bet around where a belt would be on my pants and that is too low I guess. We will see if I can get any suggestions at the hostel or on the trail.

I will be offline and on the trail for the next 3 weeks or so. I will update my solution when I can.

Thanks again!

Cool

Wish we had photos. You will eventually figure it out.
    The hip belt on all of my packs is below the belt loops (I don't wear a belt under the hip belt) or waist elastic band when I have the belt firmly in place on my pelvic bones.
    http://gregorypacks.com/en/fit?cid=G...Fit_Philosophy
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=19925
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/sizing_and_fitting
    http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...sting-fit.html
    http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-fit-a-backpack/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnLCM_3RjuA

Have a great time!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Registered User Charlie Pickens's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Am also from Florida and will be starting a 10 day section on Wed but wont be there at Springer until 12:30. Wife and I both had to get fitted at REI for packs after buying packs online and not getting a proper fit. Mostly due to not measuring properly. Was able to find something that fit us both properly and felt right. Not all packs seem to fit or feel the same and some are just not meant for certain body types. I wound up with an REI Crestrail 70L that felt really good but it certainly wan't my first choice. the wife wound up with a Deuter and it was perfect for her. We've been doing around 9 to 10 miles in them on shake outs trips and training and barely feel the weight. Good luck on your section. Maybe we'll meet up on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wish we had photos. You will eventually figure it out.
    The hip belt on all of my packs is below the belt loops (I don't wear a belt under the hip belt) or waist elastic band when I have the belt firmly in place on my pelvic bones.
    http://gregorypacks.com/en/fit?cid=G...Fit_Philosophy
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=19925
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/sizing_and_fitting
    http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...sting-fit.html
    http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-fit-a-backpack/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnLCM_3RjuA

Have a great time!

Wayne
    I agree. The Hips are lower than waist. I wear my pants around my waist, my pack belt rests on my hips which is lower than where the belt on my pants is.

No matter how tight you make the belt on your pack, it will eventually slip down to your hips (which are a natural shelf for the pack belt to sit on). This will put the weight back on your shoulders until you either slide the pack back up to your waist, or loosen the shoulder straps. When you loosen the shoulder straps the weight will shift back to your hips, but then the top of the pack falls away from your back and shifts your center of gravity, the pack will also be unstable and move around to much.

A well fitting pack rests the weight on the hips, while allowing shoulder straps to hold the pack tight to the back and keep it stabilized (this requires some weight to be on the shoulders, but not much). This all assumes the pack is not overloaded and the frame is doing its job of transferring the weight from the pack to the hip belt.

It still sound to me like your pack is to short.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Pickens View Post
    Am also from Florida and will be starting a 10 day section on Wed but wont be there at Springer until 12:30. Wife and I both had to get fitted at REI for packs after buying packs online and not getting a proper fit. Mostly due to not measuring properly. Was able to find something that fit us both properly and felt right. Not all packs seem to fit or feel the same and some are just not meant for certain body types. I wound up with an REI Crestrail 70L that felt really good but it certainly wan't my first choice. the wife wound up with a Deuter and it was perfect for her. We've been doing around 9 to 10 miles in them on shake outs trips and training and barely feel the weight. Good luck on your section. Maybe we'll meet up on the trail.
    Like shoes, backpacks require a careful, personal fitting. When you find a good fitting backpack, buy a spare! In this day and age of brief product life, products are often replaced with a "new and improved model" that isn't the same. I'm glad that you found folks who could fit you correctly. REI takes a fair amount of bashing for over priced goods. However, service like you got is worth whatever it cost.
    One last note on shoulder strap tension: Have a friend slide their finger under the strap where it crosses over your shoulder. It should be an easy slide fit.

Wayne

I've found that for most people new to hiking the tightness and load-bearing situation of the hip belt when it's being properly used can actually be uncomfortable at first, because it's not something you're used to. With the right pack (and you do have a good one) there shouldn't be any chafing with your clothing, but a little ache/tightness I think is actually to be expected. It'll move the whole pack up a bit so you'll be able to tighten the shoulder straps even more which will bring the whole pack closer to your body, which will go even further reduce that feeling like it's pulling you back.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I looked at the pack and do not see "load leveler straps" I thought all expensive packs have them. These straps run from the front of your shoulder straps to high on the pack itself. When tightened, they pull the top of the pack towards your body. This reduces the load on your shoulders.

Maybe the load levelers are the straps ends visible on the front of the shoulder harness. The pack may be so color coordinated that I can't see them. Try pulling on them and see if the pack pulls in at the top.

Not using loadlevelers correctly is the most common cause of your problem.

HTH
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

dreamweaver21 should be on the trail. Past Mountain Crossings by now. With the Osprey correctly tuned in. Or using a new pack.
    Or headed back to Pensacola. Only The Shadow knows.
    Good luck with your hike,
    dreamweaver21.

Wayne

Images

The guy who taught our newbie group on our first outing said "when the hip belt is tightened to the point that you can barely breathe, it's almost tight enough". I subscribe to that feeling as well. Any weight on your shoulders should mostly be pulling back - as if the pack wants to fall off backwards. A downward pull is going to happen, but it shouldn't be very much.
    If you're committed to one brand you might want to try a different size in that brand. There are a few brands that sell adjustable packs. I know mine can be adjusted for many different torso lengths, so if it is fitting a little off in the length area, I can adjust it up or down.
    Weight reduction can only take you so far. If you've gotten rid of everything you can, and don't have enough money to buy lighter stuff, then you're going to have to go with what you have. And don't let anyone tell you "your pack is too big". If you've got down to your bare minimums and your stuff won't fit inside, its not big enough...and if you have a lot of space left, your pack is too big. But no one can tell you that "X liters is too large", without looking at how your gear fits in it.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I had this problem when I first started backpacking. You shouldn't, IMHO, have any measureable weight on your shoulders, should be on your hips. 1) You must have the proper torso size, if it dont fit you're fighting a losing battle. 2) Leave everything up top loose and sinch your waste band. 3) Take up the slack in the shoulder straps but they should not be putting much pressure on the shoulders. 4) Pull the load lifter in to get the pack next to the back. 5) Adjust the sturmum strap. Having said all this...it'll take you a year to really learn how to sight it in to where you're really happy, did me anyway. Just the slightest adjustment can make the difference in comfortable and irritated, just having the shoulder strapes 1/8"different has been an issue for me. Good luck.

I use the Atmos 50 and usually have an average weight near 30 lbs. I've had issues with the shoulders as well.
    I solved it by strapping the hip belt higher on my torso, so that there is actually a gap between my shoulders and the strap.
    This has helped me out tremendously. Make sure the hip belt is tight, and carries most of the weight and you should be good to go.

You guys got it. I learned that if I loosened everything, put the pack on, bent forward a bit, jumped the pack up higher on my back so that the strap goes just under my navel, tightened the waistband very snug, then pulled the shoulder adjustments, and finally the load lifters, I could get the pack high enough on my back with little weight on my shoulders pulling me back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++