WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Straps killing my shoulders

I am getting ready to start a 3 week section on Wednesday. It will be my first. I did an overnight warm up last night here in FL on the FL trail. I did 14 miles out, made camp, and 14 miles back the next day. I carried my full gear that I am taking to the AT even though I knew I didn't need all the food.
    I have an Osprey Atmos 65 and the straps are killing my shoulders. My legs are fine but my neck / shoulder connector muscle hurts pretty bad. The pack always feels like it is pulling me back.
    I have the heavier stuff loaded near my back and I pulled the straps near my shoulders that pull the load in as much as I can but it still sucks. I have messed with all the adjustments but I still spent a good deal of time walking with my thumbs holding the straps forward. Am I adjusted wrong or am I just a sissy?
    I was near 30lbs with full food and water.

Journal Entries

I'm sure you're just a sissy. ....I'm kidding! I'm kidding!
    My old pack was hard to get right. Seems like I often had sore strained muscles or tendons o whatever, and we were constantly adjusting straps. That "neck/shoulder connector" pain you described sounds much too familiar to me. When I got a new pack, I bought a Deuter. It's heavier than some others, but I love it. The weight has never been a problem in the way that it rides on my body, and I often carry 35-40 pounds.

Could be several thingsl Wrong sized pack, too heavy a pack, Hip belt not carrying the load.

Journal Entries

Others more familiar with the pack should be consulted, but most of the weight should be on your hips, so tighten your waist strap first, making sure that it just above your hip-pointers, plus any compression straps at the hips. The load-lifters you speak of are secondary, and the chest one third. You can also try re-distributing the contents, as flat FL ain't like anywhere else.

I am from Pensacola, but haven't used any outfitters around here, such as Weatherfords, but you might.

it's a very popular pack, so unless it just doesn't fit your torso--gregorypacks dot com has a useful video on this--you ought to able to adjust it. If that fails, let's switch, as my Gregory Z-65 medium has fallen out of favor, and I love the Osprey from afar.

all the best with it.
    nick
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Images

65 is a large pack. is it filled to above shoulder straps?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Could be several things you could try ;
    - Assuming a properly fitted pack
    1) Is the pack packed properly , repack items .
    2) Adjust the load lifters on the shoulder straps
    3) Adjust sternum straps up front.
    4) Are you hiking with an upright posture.

Most often the muscles and shoulder blades need time to get accustomed to a carry a heavy load.
    I would try carrying less weight to begin with and work up to a full load in time for your hike.
    You might try putting thick foam under those shoulder straps and readjust the pack.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I got the pack at Weatherfords which is the only outfitter in town. They helped me with the fit. It is a medium size pack. I am 5'10" and ~165 more torso than leg though (30" inseam). I elongated the pack by moving the Velcro thing down and that helped a little. I have the waist belt in the right place I think but it isn't carry that much load. If I tighten it a bunch it get raw from my shorts or underwear and it makes my hip joints sore so I don't have it all that tight.
    I'll check out the video but I took measurements before I bought it but I did defer to the staff at the store on some things because I am not that experienced.

The pack I full but closes easily, it is not stuffed. I am fairly upright walking. I am going to find some foam and adjust some more.

To have the hip height right, where should the strap cross my belly in relation to my belly button?

Journal Entries

I have something I call a sub-dermal tear in a shoulder that can cause extreme sharp pain like a knife twisted in my back. Usually after 2 days backpacking it is unbearable. It caused me discomfort and outright pain on my thru with a pack that has a internal frame that took most of the load off my shoulders.

Then rigging up my pack with a additional strap that goes under my arms and across my chest took all that away, maybe 1x/day I would feel it just for a instant.

As soon as I read this, I said to myself, "hey self, I know what's going on!". I think that what Nick P said is right. I also refer you to this site: http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/sizing_and_fitting
    Osprey packs are a bit on the small side for their torso length measurements. Torso length is really, really important for people like us with short inseams. I recommend you go back and try out a longer pack, not the medium. I wear a L-sized pack and I'm shorter than you. I can easily carry 35 pounds with no weight on my shoulders, with the shoulder straps just providing stability. Make sure that you tighten your straps in the right order, starting with everything loose and then cranking down the waist.

You shouldn't have to put up with this discomfort with an Osprey pack.

Journal Entries

The waist belt should be "clicked" below the navel, in a straight line across from the iliac crest, the top of the ridge that is your hip-bone. Put your thumbs on your hop bone and point your pointing fingers towards each other.

I never got the sense, from hanging around, that Weatherford's staff had much experience with AT hikers, but that's just my impression. A good outfitters might be in your future.

What was your impression of the Florida trail?

If you can not make the hi belt seriously tight without pain something is amiss with the fit, the belt, or your clothing. Keep adjusting as suggested above, and if nothing works get a new pack from an outfitter with good pack fitters. There is no reason to suffer in this era. Before padded hip belts, sure, but not now.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Well I will be at Hiker Hostel on Tuesday and they told me it was full so I imagine someone there might be able to give me some pointers. I am not ignoring the fact that it could just be me not know what I am doing I have read there is an outfitter not too far from Springer that is right on the trail. Worst case, if my arms haven't fallen off they can find me a pack that fits right.

I did load some stuff in my pack and play with it some more just now. I may have had the hip belt too low before. If I put it up to where it buckles jut under my navel I can tighten it down to carry the weight. It feels like it is above my hip bones though.

Oh and I don't know what to say about the FL trail. I did part of it in Milton / Munson / Baker area (Jackson trail). It was well marked and well groomed. I didn't find it particularly interesting. Just a path though a bunch of pine trees some of which have burned in the last couple of years. The only other place I have hiked was southern AZ and I think AZ was much better but the SW was new to me while this is familiar.

I stayed near bear lake and something decided to poke around my campsite. I didn't hear much stomping around but did hear some heavy breathing. I said "go away" and I guess whatever it was did. I swear something pushed against the tent and I pushed back but I woke up with my arm on the side of the tent so maybe I was dreaming that. Nothing got into my pack or anything so no foul I guess.

Journal Entries

There's no need to wait until you're on the trail to resolve your pack issue...you won't believe the customer support at wherever you bought the pack.

Bear Lake is mostly populated with dogs, though I have seen some feral hogs in BNF. If you ever want to get up for a local hike, PM me....I have come to appreciate the FL Trail.

This is what I was told by the outfitter when I bought my pack and it has worked out well for me.

1. The center of the hip belt goes directly over the top of your hip bones located on the sides of you body.
    2. 100% of the pack should rest on your hip belt.
    3. No weight should be pulling down on your shoulders.

When putting on your pack tighten your hip belt first.

I vote for the hip belt solutions as well. I generally rotate between my shoulder straps bearing the weight and my hip belt at about a 20/80 ratio. The shoulder straps mainly stabilize the pack while the hip belt carries the weight. Works for me.

Images

I'll never get 100% of the weight on my hips, but I have to get almost all of it there or I'm miserable. Some random thoughts:

For me, the key is to get the hip belt in a comfortable spot and tighten it down pretty hard, then pull the shoulder straps until they are just across my shoulders without extering pressure -- here is where I jump up a little to get the pack a smidge higher on my back, then pull in the hip belt a tiny bit more. Now, if the pack is still leaning back (which it will be), pull the load lifter straps in until the pack is sitting close to the back.

When hiking, I will regularly make small changes in the suspension -- loosen the hip belt and snug down the shoulder straps for a little while, then reverse, or loosen the load lifters when walking uphill, that sort of thing. It's the small changes that keep me from getting hurt in any one area.

There is probably going to be a hiker at the Hiker Hostel who can help with this. Look for the guy or gal with the smallest pack Failing that, the outfitter at Neels Gap is either a 3 day walk or a 30 minute drive away.

Finally, don't discount the total pack weight. The Atmos series is built for lightweight loads, and in my experience is great under 25 pounds and miserable above 30. At higher weights, the hip belt starts to collapse and the pack shifts down on your back, putting all the weight on the shoulders.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Make sure your hip belt is adjusted to take most of the load off your shoulders. Lighten your load. Lighten it some more. These three steps should help.
    Weight low in your pack will pull backwards less than weight high in your pack.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++