WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Hostel in Glasgow / Buena Vista area

So narrowing down the search for a potential hostel location we keep coming back to this area as a potential site for a hostel investment.

Does anyone know why there is not already a hostel in this area?

Is there a history of "hostel failure" in either place?

Bonus question for people in the area: Please PM me or email me at tbradnc at gmail.com if you have suggestion on any properties that have potential in the area.

We're still on the fence about building from scratch or converting an existing property so suggestions on raw land or existing structures are welcome.

Journal Entries

Blue Dog Art Hostel was alive and well last year in Buena Vista.

There's Three Springs Hostel that just opened up in this area. Look at the WB home page.... it's there.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for ya 10-K.

Images

Just getting off the ground this year Three Springs Hostel with pickup at Rt 60 near Buena Vista.

http://threespringshostel.com/

As mentioned above, BlueDogArt Cafe in Buena Vista is small but got good reviews from the hikers in 2013. The issue regarding Buena Vista is the distance from the trail (9 miles) and that hiker services are really spread out around town.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Bonus question for people in the area: Please PM me or email me at tbradnc at gmail.com if you have suggestion on any properties that have potential in the area.

We're still on the fence about building from scratch or converting an existing property so suggestions on raw land or existing structures are welcome.
    There are three houses with 500 yards of the crossing on. Rt. 60. I have always thought any of them would be a great place for a hostel. One owner doesn't want to sell at all, one might but not right now and the owner of the closest one passed away a couple of weeks ago. I have been trying to get information on whether it is going to be sold or not.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Just getting off the ground this year Three Springs Hostel with pickup at Rt 60 near Buena Vista.

As mentioned above, BlueDogArt Cafe in Buena Vista is small but got good reviews from the hikers in 2013. The issue regarding Buena Vista is the distance from the trail (9 miles) and that hiker services are really spread out around town.

I rode by it yesterday. Going northbound on AT, when you hit the forestry road at Hog Camp Gap, take a left and it is about a mile down the road on the left.

I really don't know much about BlueDog, I have only eaten there a couple times. I picked up a hiker yesterday that went by there but they were closed. There are only two motels in town and the best one is further away from everything.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Section Hiker

A year ago there was a house/property for sale I think at Coffeytown and Wiggins Spring Roads, at the base of Cold Mountain near Hog Camp Gap. The homes there were like 1/2 mile from the trail head/parking area at Hog Camp Gap. I passed that and thought that would be pretty cool. Someday.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Ok, thanks for all the info. I've got something to think about when I need something to obsess on when I'm hiking the PCT.

Who knows? Maybe I'll run across a great opportunity while I'm out west.

sugar grove/troutdale area

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    sugar grove/troutdale area
    I'll have a look, thanks. In a perfect world I'd pick Damascus to open up a hostel because we like the town and surrounding area.

BTW, I ran a Damascus shuttle today and there's a shuttle service on every corner now. I don't think there's a place you can stand downtown without seeing the word "Shuttle"!

In real estate, sometimes a blind offer out of the blue to a property owner to purchase their property can (not always) work. You got to remember a lot of home sales are made without the need of a "for sale" sign on the lawn.

Agree. Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much for the dog?

The dog is filed under "kids".

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    A year ago there was a house/property for sale I think at Coffeytown and Wiggins Spring Roads, at the base of Cold Mountain near Hog Camp Gap. The homes there were like 1/2 mile from the trail head/parking area at Hog Camp Gap. I passed that and thought that would be pretty cool. Someday.
    One was probably the property that is now Three Springs Hostel. It is the first place you come to heading down Wiggins Spring Road towards Coffeytown Road.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.7....7614976?hl=en
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; 04-17-2014 at 22:56.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Yeah, this area has better hostel coverage than it appeared at first. We're looking for stretch with nothing where there is a real need. That doesn't appear to exist in the south.

I should probably rehike VA north of Damascus and see what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Yeah, this area has better hostel coverage than it appeared at first. We're looking for stretch with nothing where there is a real need. That doesn't appear to exist in the south.

I should probably rehike VA north of Damascus and see what I see.
    How about Rural Retreat/Atkins area? Is there really anything between Damascus and Pearisburg?

Quote Originally Posted by Toga View Post
    How about Rural Retreat/Atkins area? Is there really anything between Damascus and Pearisburg?
    allegedly there's a place in bastian/bland area

There's Fort Bastian. Nigel Trubrit is there in the Bland area. He is trying to build log cabins etc...He has 1 cabin up, with the help of Mountain Mike (of WB) and others. His place is swamped with hikers, even though he only has tarp tents with fire pits & strung lights in them. If he can get his place up and running, like he plans, that will be great. That area needs a place, badly.

I talked to O-MA of the Three Springs Hostel the other day. (Thanks for the encouragement, Jeff) When her septic work is finished, the end of this month, she will be able to house 10 hikers, inside. She can handle more hikers if they tent outside.

She is talking to the private land owners about allowing hikers to walk through the woods & down the hill 1/2 mile or so to her hostel. If she can pull this off, she will have it made. She said they will give rides back to the trail too.

She's super nice!! Awesome cook from what I heard, as well. T&S is going to stay with her next Thursday. We are going over there to check her place out!! Can't wait!!

That's all I know!

++ New Posts ++