WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Borah Gear Down Vest

Anyone have experience with Borah's down vest? I've read great things about their Bivies and the price point is great on this vest, as well as the weight. How does it compare to something like the GoLite's Selkirk Ultralight? Thanks!

I have one. He made me a XXL. It was a little more cost. It is nice and light. Ron

I have one and like it a lot. Very light and well constructed. It compresses down to a small ball if needed and lofts quickly back up.

I just ordered a set of down sleeves from Luke's Ultralight so I can mix/match based on conditions. My thinking is that I can get pretty low using the vest, sleeves, my down hood and all wrapped up in my rain jacket. Haven't tested it all out yet as a system and probably won't get a chance until next fall. Total system will be about 8oz.
    Last edited by Weather-man; 04-07-2014 at 18:07.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Weather-man View Post
    I just ordered a set of down sleeves from Luke's Ultralight so I can mix/match based on conditions.
    Those sleeves would be nice on those nights when I do a lot of reading in my quilt.

For those of you that have this (or other similar ultralight down vests), what layer are you replacing with the vest? Does this go in your pack instead of a puffy? And what temperature range does it cover?

I'm seriously debating picking one of these up myself, but I'm struggling to really understand how warm it is. Would s/s baselayer+100 weight fleece+down vest keep you warm below 40* if you're sitting around camp?

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    For those of you that have this (or other similar ultralight down vests), what layer are you replacing with the vest? Does this go in your pack instead of a puffy? And what temperature range does it cover?

I'm seriously debating picking one of these up myself, but I'm struggling to really understand how warm it is. Would s/s baselayer+100 weight fleece+down vest keep you warm below 40* if you're sitting around camp?
    Yes, in my case I replaced my Nanopuff with the vest and I also added the sleeves so total weight is around 6 oz for the vest and sleeves. Adding the hood brings total weight to 7.3 oz.

The upsides are that the vest system is about 5 oz lighter than the nano puff and more importantly, much more flexible in terms of building or stripping layers based on conditions. I also believe that the system will be much warmer than the nano puff, especially when I use my rain shell as a jacket to break the wind. Yet to be proved but the loft alone indicates that it will be.

I'm thinking a bit south of 20* will be the range for the whole system sitting around with the ability to strip it down for warmer weather. Same for using it to sleep. I use a 30 degree hoodless bag (Zpack) and I think this will add significantly to the range. Again, I'll play with this in the fall when I walk a section of the long trail.

The downside is that the vest, sleeves and hood are all down whereas the nano puff is synthetic. Moisture and humidity can ruin your day...

I'm doing 17 mile hike on AT this weekend. I'm taking lightweight smart wool top,Patagonia cap 4 hoody and Bora vest. I will have Marmot wind jacket to put over layers If needed. Low48 degrees.Ron

https://www.facebook.com/borahgear

Awesome, just found borah's myspace and it looks like John has been hard at work. Both a jacket and a vest with neck on the way soon... Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Surridge View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/borahgear

Awesome, just found borah's myspace and it looks like John has been hard at work. Both a jacket and a vest with neck on the way soon... Awesome
    Pretty sure the vest with collar was the prototype, but the collar was eliminated when they released it for sale (check the dates on the Facebook posts).

++ New Posts ++