WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Old Logger's Path, PA

It looks like OLP has many water sources...'Runs'...which it crosses or parallels.

I was wondering, specifically, if there is a water source between Sharp Top Vista and Sprout Point Vista.

There appears to be a couple of streams which, since unnamed compared to the other Runs, I suspect may be unreliable(?).

I am thinking of doing OLP at the end of May.

Thanks!

Images

The water was everywhere in the dead of winter, I imagine May is still early enough that water shouldn't be an issue for you.

Those creeks run most of the year, but can be reduced to a trickle or even dry up in a dry summer. There are also a few nice campsites along those streams. Have fun it is a great trail.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
    Those creeks run most of the year, but can be reduced to a trickle or even dry up in a dry summer. There are also a few nice campsites along those streams. Have fun it is a great trail.
    Thanks for the info!! Very helpful!

Images

This looks like a good 2 night trip. Maybe this can work for next weekend.

This is a great trail. Plenty of water. Make sure to check out the swimming hole near Rock Run and Yellow Dog Run confluence. Might be way too cold, but it was way too cold in August. Here's a pic of that area from last August and two months ago: OLP.jpg

Images

I tried looking online. Any permits required, or is there a state park office to pick up an official map? This looks great for a two night getaway. I would get there around 11am, should I print out the map and park at the lot at Maston and just go for it?

Quote Originally Posted by no-name View Post
    I tried looking online. Any permits required, or is there a state park office to pick up an official map? This looks great for a two night getaway. I would get there around 11am, should I print out the map and park at the lot at Maston and just go for it?
    No permits, unless it's fire season and you want to make a fire. If you email the Loyalsock forestry office, they'll mail you an official map. If not, you can download and print the map from here: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...path/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by no-name View Post
    I just called the forestry office today at (570)-946-4049. The woman who answered was very nice; happy to send me an OLP Trail Map via snail-mail.

Also, she said that there are no issues with accessing the trailhead. The bridge has been repaired and whatever other issues there were...have been resolved.

Have a great hike!

Images

Same here, very nice on the phone, said the map would be mailed today...looks like an excellent trip for a three day weekend!!
    Quote Originally Posted by goin'4ahike View Post
    I just called the forestry office today at (570)-946-4049. The woman who answered was very nice; happy to send me an OLP Trail Map via snail-mail.

Also, she said that there are no issues with accessing the trailhead. The bridge has been repaired and whatever other issues there were...have been resolved.

Have a great hike!

OLP is an excellent 2-3 day hike. Moderate terrain, grades are mostly gradual, several nice views, great camping, streams, big rocks, fairly isolated. Rock Run is very beautiful, it is worth the extra time to explore; all of it is gorgeous. Be aware there is no bridge across Pleasant Stream, so be prepared for wet feet (you could cross on a tree last time I hiked it). Many wildflowers in May, particularly violets.

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

I called the forestry office yesterday, the map arrived in today's mail! I'm planning to hike the OLP this Sunday to Tuesday. It looks like the common way to go is counter-clockwise, is there any reason to consider the alternative?
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Half View Post
    I called the forestry office yesterday, the map arrived in today's mail! I'm planning to hike the OLP this Sunday to Tuesday. It looks like the common way to go is counter-clockwise, is there any reason to consider the alternative?
    Anything I have read indicates counter-clockwise is the popular direction. It may be because there is a beautiful tenting spot at the convergence of Rock Run and Yellow Dog Run about 6 miles in which seems a popular stop for the 1st night and, apparently, a great spot to explore a bit. Have fun! Be safe. Please provide a trip report! Would like to know what you think of the OLP.

++ New Posts ++