WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Trail Days - Damascus, VA May 16-18

Basically just wanna know whos gonna be there and if anyone was there last year who can tell me a little more about it. I live about 2 hours north and am planning on going and camping.

I'll be long past Damascus by them. Here's some info.
    AT15
    OT15

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

This will be my first year. I've heard it is a raucous, fun-filled party and sure not to be missed. I'm meeting up with some hiking buddies and hoping to see a few more familiar faces we've met up and down the trail.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I'm a definite maybe. It just depends on timing and inclination; the introvert in me might find the hiker mobs too reminiscent of nyc at rush hour. Or I might attend the Whitetop Ramp Festival (http://www.mtrogersvfd-rs.com/ramp-festival) on May 18.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I'm a definite maybe. It just depends on timing and inclination; the introvert in me might find the hiker mobs too reminiscent of nyc at rush hour. Or I might attend the Whitetop Ramp Festival (http://www.mtrogersvfd-rs.com/ramp-festival) on May 18.
    Ramps aren't for the faint of heart.

Images

I will be hiking in SoBo on a section hike, this will be my 3rd consecutive year. Basically it's weekend long celebration of the trail and it's ever growing community. The whole town is committed to the trail so the atmosphere is irreplaceable, If the AT has had an impact on you at any level I'm sure your in for a grand ol time. I'll be camped on Hammock Island or with my pals at the Call of the Wild town, if your camping by the ball fields for the weekend, quiet end is by Tent City and Upstream, The Raucous comes generally from Billville and Riff Raff's camp area, down stream.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bezekid609 View Post
    I will be hiking in SoBo on a section hike, this will be my 3rd consecutive year. Basically it's weekend long celebration of the trail and it's ever growing community. The whole town is committed to the trail so the atmosphere is irreplaceable, If the AT has had an impact on you at any level I'm sure your in for a grand ol time. I'll be camped on Hammock Island or with my pals at the Call of the Wild town, if your camping by the ball fields for the weekend, quiet end is by Tent City and Upstream, The Raucous comes generally from Billville and Riff Raff's camp area, down stream.
    Hammock Island seems like the place for me. If i come down the morning of 16th will there still be room.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We'll be there.....meeting up with some hiker buddies (where have I read that recently?) and learning what the celebration is all about!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

I'm gonna show up even if I don't know a soul. Sounds like a heck of a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddywhompus View Post
    Basically just wanna know whos gonna be there and if anyone was there last year who can tell me a little more about it. I live about 2 hours north and am planning on going and camping.
    I plan to attend this year and have for 8 out of the past 10 years. I choose not to camp at the campground. As others have stated, the campground has gained the reputation for being "a raucous, fun-filled party." If that is your thing, great. For those of us to whom that does not appeal, Trail Days still offers much. Check out the website http://traildays.us/. There are informative and entertaining programs offered throughout the weekend, a super vendor booth area set up in the park, etc.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    The Ramp Festival is delightful; Trail Days, not so much in that there have been incidents there that put one off. Why not take in both?
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Not I. But it's quite a scene, and I can recommend the ramp festival as well. If I were a nobo thru-hiker, I'd have it in my plans unless I was way too far ahead or behind.

Once was enough, though. For a thru-hiker en route it's not be missed, but otherwise...

I'm planning on being there, and will probably stay at the new Woodchuck hostel again. Should be finishing up the Southern AT before or after that weekend.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Caddywhompus View Post
    I'm gonna show up even if I don't know a soul. Sounds like a heck of a time.
    It won't take long for you to know lots of people. Damascus is amazingly friendly and inviting. Come by and see Crazy Larry...get a trail magic bag...meet Snacktime, me, FarmerChef, Mama Bear, Hiney, Skeeterbait, Moe and Cady. You'll leave with at least 9 new friends.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I'm actually thinking about hiking up on a section hike. I don't know anyone going...So I look forward to meeting a bunch of people!
    Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wtrenda View Post
    I'm actually thinking about hiking up on a section hike. I don't know anyone going...So I look forward to meeting a bunch of people!
    Well, you just saw the list of folks waiting to meet you at Crazy Larry's! See you there!

I'll be SOBO from Atkins and should arrive ~ the 15th or 16th. I think it will be a fun experience. Looking foward to everything...the trail,Damascus, the highlands...all of it!

I'll be there. It's my first year. Afterwards I'll be hitching to Washington to southbound the PCT. Really looking forward to it! Any class of 2011 people in here?
    ABackpackersLife.com

Images

I wouldn't be concerned about room, though most established sites will have formed by Friday. If your hammocking you have plenty of tree's, if your tenting theres always the field. I'll be there Thursday, only one river with an island in the "campground". It's $5 to camp for the weekend. see ya there

I'll be there. I was thinking of driving but, would rather carpool. Parking is going to be ridiculous so, if anyone wants to ride share I'm game. I will be spending the weekend and tenting.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++