WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ray Way pack

Default Ray Way pack

I'm going to get some sewing lessons and the person who is teaching me would like me to have a pattern. The Ray Way pack looks fun but Ray Way stuff is so expensive! Is there a cheaper way to get a backpack kit with patterns and fabric?

Images

I happen to have an early GoLite pack made back when they were using the Jardine pattern. It would be much cheaper to buy this pack than to make it yourself. PM me if you're interested.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Here is a pattern for free. You could use any fabric.
    http://www.mountainultralight.com/20...-backpack.html

Jardine's stuff might seem expensive, but it's good quality and worth the money. You're putting in the labor to actually construct the gear, but it's a huge time-saver to not have to find and order the materials yourself.

With the GoLite Jam packs selling at $100-130, I can't imagine ever wanting to sew my own pack. You might save a little bit of money doing it yourself, but what would it really amount to?

Images

It's not always about saving money. With music at 99 cents a song, why would anyone learn the guitar?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The information for the original Jardine backpack is in his book titled "Beyond Backpacking". It changed my views on many aspects of hiking and backpacking.

He has updated the book so I do not know if the information is in the new book. You might be able to find a copy of the old one somewhere.

Images

Research. Figure out what you want in a pack. It's custom, so you can have it anyway you want. Put pockets where you want, how you want and made of what you want. There are plenty of packs to be found online. Take a look at several patterns as well as commercial packs. Once you know what you want, pick out the elements, throw them together and you have yourself a pack. Just the way you want it. Make sure you size it properly to fit your body correctly. There are tons of sites on fit as well.
    I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Eh, all the sew-it-yourself packs are pretty much the same -- just a top-loading bag with straps and a couple of small outer pockets. No back ventilation to speak of, no easy access to gear inside, minimal comfort. No thanks, I think I'll stick with carrying an extra pound and having a pack that has been highly researched and professionally made, and that has the ventilation, comfortable suspension, and better gear access I prefer.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

I've made a couple of the Jardine packs, traps, and zip nets and like them for the weight and price they are. My one big issue with his packs is the lack of a good hip belt. He will give you the pattern for a hip belt on his packs but they are minimal at best and really don't do much to take the weight off your shoulders. But then this is on purpose because Ray believes that people aren't made to walk with a lot of weight on their hips. (See his book.) After a few hours of hiking my shoulders are killing me. I recently bought a new Osprey ultralight 58l pack and man what a difference. For the 8 or so extra ounces I'll take the Osprey.
    A bad day on the trail is still better than your best day at work! Never, never, ever quit.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    It's not always about saving money. With music at 99 cents a song, why would anyone learn the guitar?

Yeah, fair enough. If you consider pack sewing to be an art or a pass time, then have at it. Personally, I can't be bothered. I select my gear for it utility to serve me while I do what I am passionate about, which is hiking. Making gear just doesn't excite me unless the result provides greater utility or a significantly lower cost.

I like his tarp design. Still, I want a bottom to my shelter or to be off the ground altogether as in a hammock. The pack is cool but, as another hiker said, the hip belt is a must. Good luck with your pack. If you can, post pics of it later.

I think one of the Gossamer Gear pack designs is out there too. I cannot remember if he links it off his site like he used to.

I had a link to the directions after all:

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/gvp-pack/

++ New Posts ++