WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default What are your AT holidays and do you celebrate them?

The AT has certain celebratory days, most of them are location based, not based on a calendar. Most are common to all thru hikers, yet on different dates. The big 4 I can come up with is:

Start of hike (for many that is what I call 'Springer Mountain Day')
    1/2 Gallon Challenge
    Hike Naked Day (the only one that is calendar based)
    Katahdin (or end of thru hike)

Of the above 4 the 1/2 gallon challenge date will most likely fade from my memory as to the date (though if I revisit the location that's another story) but unquestionably a AT 'holiday', the other 3 I believe I will always celebrate.

So what are you AT holidays?

How about your first AT Hike?

For me, I was about 10 years old and my father took me for a weekend backpacking trip in MD. I think we started at Wash Monument State Park. I recall the monument and hiking to a shelter for at least one night. I had a tan-colored canvas frameless backpack (really more like a school book bag). I'm sure dad carried most of the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    So what are you AT holidays?
    My worst day on the trail ever, the day I climbed Blood Mountain in a blizzard. I call the friend I climbed with every March 13th and have a sense of gratitude for still having 10 fingers and toes.

The hard times are often more memorable than the good times. And there's no reason not to celebrate having lived through many of them.

Journal Entries
    Images

I always remember January 28th as the day I tore my ACL, but I celebrate February 8th as the anniversary of the day I had surgery to replace my ACL. I try to celebrate each February 8th hiking on the trail. It's usually cold, sloppy, snowy, and my yaktrax usually tear. :-p But it's still a celebration! When I thru-hike I am certain I will celebrate my Springer day.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

CF97 > Everything Else.

Waking up early on Easter Monday (since none of us were religious we had no clue what day it was and a day hiker told us), I head my fellow hiker trash's food bags around the shelter area like easter eggs.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Oct 17th is supposed to be peak foliage. So I go hiking either the weekend before or after every year. It's my guaranteed time to go whether it's by myself or with someone else.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Every year i celebrate the dates i finished my AT thru's ( three ), and my first AT injury.

What about Earl Schaffer's birthday any body celebrate that one.
    what about the DATE the AT was actually finished.
    and what about the DATE Grandma Gatwood finished her first thru.
    what about the date the ATC was concieved.
    Does ANY body celebrate these Traditional AT Holidays and others.

++ New Posts ++