WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Balance MT1210 from 806

I have been a fan of my New Balance 806s for so many years. I have finally destroyed my last pair and have to look for a new favorite since they long ago quit making em. The 806s were just made for me and heaven on my feet. I never had a blister on my whole 2013 thru.

I tried an MT1210 on a few sections when my wife was supporting me last year. I found that the MTs ran bigger than my 806s allowing my foot to "flop around" too much on rocky sections. I have given them to my son.

I just bought a size smaller version of the MT1210s and will be giving them a try on the AT soon. I have read great reviews from the MT 1210s and have my hopes up.

Do we have any folks that were 806 fans that found a new fave?
    Do we have any folks that use the MT1210s and love em?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I remember my old pair of 806's from years ago. Loved them! When they finally bit the dust, I couldn't find them anywhere. Then, one Christmas a year or two later, I found a pair of 806's on line at Cabellas! Ordered a pair in the exact same size and width I had worn successfully in the past. Guess what? They were miserable on my feet! I stopped wearing them on the trail and used them around the house as work shoes. I could never figure out what the problem was with the new pair. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Then, one Christmas a year or two later, I found a pair of 806's on line at Cabellas!
    Cabelas had a NB do a special run a few years ago after NB had already discontinued them. I bought every 11EE they had. Those worked out well for me even with some on those being in boxes in my closet for years.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I'm a big fan of them. I have also used 814s and 909s for backpacking, and have day hiked in 571s. For me the 1210s fit better in general. I have typically had to buy my NB shoes in size 13, which is a bit to big from a length standpoint, but I needed to get them in this size for the width. I gotta do Ds as all the EEs I've tried have been too wide. Enter the 1210, which has a slightly wider toebox. It works perfect for me, and I'm able to wear them closer to my true size (I have 'em in size 12.5).

Also, they are a great combination of comfort and flexibility in my opinion. I like to "feel the trail" as in often day hike in Vibram Five Fingers. I find that a lot of shoes have soles that are too stiff and/or to cushy for me to get this feel when I'm backpacking whilst still providing good support and cushion (if that makes any sense). The 1210s are a nice design that are comfortable yet let you "feel the trail".
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I'm very happy with my 1210's as well. I like them better than the cascadias and the lone peaks. I do my road running in altras so I'm used to a big footbox and the 1210's still feel great.

Is this the shoe you all are talking about? Direct from the New Balance online shop:

http://www.newbalance.com/Leadville-...ilver_and_Blue

Thanks.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Yes..........

Thanks! A friend of mine manages the New Balance store in Tyler, TX. I will check out these shoes.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Not your model specifically but I use the MT1010 and found them to be a bit big with my regular size. I tried a 1/2 size smaller and they were perfect. Since, I have switched most all of my shoes to New Balance and they run big generally as a brand.

Good luck!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Interesting observation [Ithey run big generally as a brand.
    ][/I] My experience has always been opposite, they run small for me.

I have had good luck with MT810s and have two pairs in the closet when I wear out the current pair as size 13 EEEEs disappear off the shelves rapidly when the new model comes out. One thing I have upgraded to are montrail heat moldable inserts in place of what comes with the new balances. They have a more distinct arch. The trade off is they eat up a bit more volume in the shoes so if they are tight with the stock inserts someone may have to go up one size.

http://www.zappos.com/montrail-enduro-sole. The rear half has a stiffer section that also adds a bit of protection when rock hopping in the whites (my backyard). The inserts seem to last far longer than the shoes. I have two pairs and swap them out.

++ New Posts ++