WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Record Attempt

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    He posted a series of YouTube clips as a journal, you might enjoy watching those:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...vPg8LWbxOmTLCG
    huh? Matt already hiked his hike. Think youve got your hikers confused.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Totally agree. I never hike much more than 2 / 2.5 MPH, but I hike 12-14 hours a day.
    I came to hike, not sit around or sleep the day away.
    That doesn't work if you have to do 54 miles a day - not quite enough hours in a day. A consistant 3 MPH pace takes 18 hours to cover 54 miles, leaving only 6 hours of down time. Realisticly he'd have to maintain closer to a 4 MPH pace, which is pretty hard to do, even on the easy streaches of trail. The killer is the fact this pace has to be maintained 6 days out of 7 for 40 days.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This should be interesting. I wonder if he will have the fortitude to continue when it becomes clear that he cannot attain his speed goal, which will be likely while still in New England.

He's doing some amazing training, BUT!! I think his only chance is to believe, start, pray real hard, and just maybe he will be raptured to Springer Mountain.

Images

I find the strategy behind a speed hike very interesting. Taking one day off per week is an intriguing strategy. I'm curious to see how it'll play out. I find it hard to believe that having a day off to rest and recover physically and mentally is worth the extra miles per day for the other 6 days per week, but we'll see how it plays out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    I find the strategy behind a speed hike very interesting. Taking one day off per week is an intriguing strategy. I'm curious to see how it'll play out. I find it hard to believe that having a day off to rest and recover physically and mentally is worth the extra miles per day for the other 6 days per week, but we'll see how it plays out.
    If you look at successful record hikes, they held fairly consistent daily mileage. This is not a strategy that will work. Not only is taking a day off not the smartest, doing 50 plus mile day will not be sustainable. I suspect he will be off place prior to the end of the first week.

The Pro cyclists often have a hard time on off days, They all go out for a 1/3 distance at slower speed, just to stay loose, an extra massage, on a off day the body has time to catch up to the trauma it's gone thru, and react. Legs will lock up, store lactic acid and give it time to really affect your muscle fibers, etc.
    We'll see how far he gets the 1st Mon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    huh? Matt already hiked his hike. Think youve got your hikers confused.
    I was responding to the post directly above mine referring to Matt not having time to keep a journal on his hike.

So, Monson in 2 days aye?
    Maine in 5?
    Nah! Won't happen.
    God or not.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

Got to say it. I hike for enjoyment and plain old fashion fun. So no I do not wish him success and than more of this type of foolishness on our trail.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Got to say it. I hike for enjoyment and plain old fashion fun. So no I do not wish him success and than more of this type of foolishness on our trail.
    No, you do not "got to say it." If you want to encourage someone, great. If you think they won't make it, that's not unreasonable either. But there's no justification whatsoever for coming into the speed hiking section and calling an attempt to hike fast "foolishness" and wish failure on them.

Images

enough with the documentaries running in rome ga is not the same as running in the roots and rocks of maine

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Funny how you find this interesting - cause it is! On my first 1500+ mile hike I started with the idea that zero days were good (and they probably were at the time). 11 of 78 days were zero days, with some zeroish days inbetween. But, most of those zero days were had in the three first quarters of the hike. After a while, as you progress as a hiker zero days become.. hard? I imagine this depends on the hiker, and whether or not he feels an urge to move forward - I know I do

On my other 1800+ mile hike I had one zero day, and finished in 75 days. Weird thing tho, was that on my first hike my longest day was 61 miles, while on the second hike my longest day was 46 miles. I never really plan how far Im going, but doing multiple 60 mile days would be tough, but consecutive 45 mile days feels a lot easier.

For record breakers I imagine finding this sweet spot is crucial if they wanna maximize (or should I say minimize) their efficiency. The real challenge is that no terrain nor day is alike. Hard hills in cold weather may may prove a lot easier than flat tussocks in hot weather and so. So the ability to balance just this is what makes me the most impressed with all these record breakers

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    The Pro cyclists often have a hard time on off days, They all go out for a 1/3 distance at slower speed, just to stay loose, an extra massage, on a off day the body has time to catch up to the trauma it's gone thru, and react. Legs will lock up, store lactic acid and give it time to really affect your muscle fibers, etc.
    We'll see how far he gets the 1st Mon.
    Yes. This

Quote Originally Posted by likeahike View Post
    The whole thing may be perfectly legit, but I find the following interesting:

The website says donations will be funneled thru the 401c3 "Project H2O" which was founded and is presided over by non other than the film maker - Ryan Simmons.

In further checking, I can't find any mention of "Project H2O" in the IRS databases.

More checking, the website domain they list on their facebook page "projecth2o.com" is for sale.
    Bump. Fishy indeed.

I went to high school with Drew. I will say this.... He does some serious mileage frequently as it is. I know he just came off a 4 day 220ish mile run near Dahlonega and has many miles in and around Springer before.

I'm not saying he will or won't break it, but I support his cause as he is doing it for good reasons. Ultimately, it's his hike to hike (run) and I wish him the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I agree. I'm afraid the AT is going to look like Disneyland by the time I can do a thru hike.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    http://johndruckenmiller.com/rome-ma...the-journey-2/

can't be done with days off. his "crew" has no experience
    Whether he sets a record or not I bet he finishes the trail.......

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mad4scrapping View Post
    I agree. I'm afraid the AT is going to look like Disneyland by the time I can do a thru hike.
    Mt Everest is overcrowded as well......

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    In regards to this guy's chances, a quote from Thomas a Kempis comes to mind: "Man proposes. God disposes."
    call me Jack, 276-274-3637

Quote Originally Posted by Half Note View Post
    Bump. Fishy indeed.

Can't say if it's fishy or not, but Project H2O is listed with the IRS as a 509(a)(2) -- not a 501(c)(3). It's considered a tax-deductible educational organization ... but it looks like the org hasn't really been "touched" in years.

http://non-profit-organizations.find...roject-H20-Inc
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++