WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Record Attempt

Default Record Attempt

http://johndruckenmiller.com/rome-ma...the-journey-2/

can't be done with days off. his "crew" has no experience

Sounds like he is trying to do too much at once. Run the trail, make a documentary, take Sundays off. Seems to me that the filmmakers will just get in the way and slow him down.

how can he fail. god told him to do it.

I didn't see anything about when he is going to attempt it? I'm assuming he will do a SOBO like Matt Kirk and Jen Pfarr Davis did.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    how can he fail. god told him to do it.
    True - but then god told him to take Sundays off so its almost like he's being set up for failure.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I didn't see anything about when he is going to attempt it? I'm assuming he will do a SOBO like Matt Kirk and Jen Pfarr Davis did.
    Article says he departs early June from Maine.

If he's running 130-180 miles a week, that's pretty serious training. I hope it's on trails though. The photo in the article is along roads. There wasn't a lot (if any) of info about his back country experience.

Images

The trail navigates through some of the toughest terrain on the East Coast, beginning in Maine and ending in North Georgia. He plans to begin his run in early June in Maine and run on foot back to Georgia.
    Here is both when and which direction. Pulled from the article
    I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

That's Rome Georgia, and it sounds like he's training on the trails above Berry College. If I remember right, there's about 400 or 500 feet of climb to get up above the reservoir. Do that over and over and over... But it's not Maine... He might be surprised in that first week or two.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

dont think he'll make it, but here's to a good cause! at least he's doing good. wish him the best.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    http://johndruckenmiller.com/rome-ma...the-journey-2/

can't be done with days off. his "crew" has no experience
    I think he should complete a thru-hike first just so he will know exactly what he is getting into. JPD and Matt both had considerable thru-hike experience before attempting record hikes.

Yeap, that's gonna be one short film.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Skeptical like the rest of you guys. Still, I wish him the best. Hope things go well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Article says he departs early June from Maine.

If he's running 130-180 miles a week, that's pretty serious training. I hope it's on trails though. The photo in the article is along roads. There wasn't a lot (if any) of info about his back country experience.
    It is good training, but even then it isn't eve half distance he needs to go everyday. and since he is taking Sundays off he really only has about 39 or 40 days of running/hiking ??? which wild be roughly 55 miles a day. I hope when God spoke to him and told him to do this he also taught him some basic math skills.

He seemed quite clear on the math involved from the article in the OP. Maybe he's physically prepared, maybe not, but nobody runs 300 miles a week (that I'm aware of). Too much pounding, not enough recovery time. Certainly JPD wasn't running that much, or the others that came before her.

His last statement says a lot about whether he thinks (knows) he can do it:
    But I won’t consider it a failure if I don’t break the record. We still believe we have a pretty awesome story to share.”

In my mind, that is a bad way to start. You have to think (know) that you can do it. And will.

Taking Sundays off is a sure road to failure IMO.

Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    dont think he'll make it, but here's to a good cause! at least he's doing good. wish him the best.
    I give the former pastor a great deal of credit for informing his donors where their money will go to first:

"Before having an opportunity to raise funds for the Village of Eden, he will be raising funds to train for the next year and for the actual attempt. This campaign will allow Drew to dedicate himself to a regimented training schedule, a disciplined diet, gas for the numerous drives to train in the mountains, and any other expenses he may incur throughout the remainder of 2013 and into 2014."

Journal Entries

Quite a challenge he's set for himself. I wish him well, but I thought the "seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God..."

According to Google maps, Rome GA is a 1hr 30min drive to Amicalola Falls. Why wouldn't he just drive there and see if he can do 53 mile days on the A.T.?
    I guess the cost of the RV they're going to use will be part of administration cost. Just looks like someone taking advantage of good christian people to support their hike.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I give the former pastor a great deal of credit for informing his donors where their money will go to first:

"Before having an opportunity to raise funds for the Village of Eden, he will be raising funds to train for the next year and for the actual attempt. This campaign will allow Drew to dedicate himself to a regimented training schedule, a disciplined diet, gas for the numerous drives to train in the mountains, and any other expenses he may incur throughout the remainder of 2013 and into 2014."
    If the above is accurate, then he has trained in the mountains. Although training in the Georgia mountains is not the same as Maine mountains, in early June, where he'll be knee deep in mud, fording raging streams and constantly falling down on wet rocks, tripping over roots and jumping over blow downs. He'd have a better chance doing this in the fall instead of the spring, which shows he hasn't thought this out very well. I suppose he picked June for the maximum hours of daylight, but trail conditions is a major factor to consider that time of year.

Oh well, it will be fun to see how far he gets.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 04-17-2014 at 14:34.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

God and math do not lie, but they sure do like to play tricks on you; it's easy to fall for their pranks

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++