WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How does one go about getting a ride to High Point State Park from Honesdale PA?

I will be doing only about 130 mi of the AT starting at High Point State Park to a little pass the Hudson River. The only issue is that I'm from California, flying into NY and then dropping my stuff at my summer camp. But camp is about 50 miles from the AT. I already contacted the camp hoping they'd be able to give me a ride but no such luck. So I'm hoping you'd be able to help me out here? Thank you and much appreciated!

P.S
    Planning to be out there June 2nd or 3rd of this year.

How are you getting to the camp? It looks like the most direct path from NYC is I-80 to the Delaware water gap, then up 209 to 6 to Honesdale. If that is the case, how about starting at the Delaware water gap instead , since you would be passing through there anyway? Just have anything else you need sent direct to the camp.

Otherwise, its a pretty direct route from Honesdale to High Point so I'd think hitch hiking wouldn't be totally unrealistic.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yes, how were you planning to get to camp in the first place? Are they transporting you from NYC? Why not return to NYC the same way after camp is over, then taking a train or bus to the AT (either Pawling NY or Bear Mountain) and hiking south to Delaware Water Gap, then back to NYC by bus. Or the reverse: Bus to DWG, hike past the Hudson, then train back to NYC.

I suppose you've checked out renting a car and driving yourself. I know it's horridly expensive if you're under 25.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Journal Entries

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I don't have a car. What I do is go to Port Jervis by train and walk out of town to the park. It's around 7 miles and you pass a few restaurants along the way. After that there's nothing. Or, you can go to Port Jervis and get a cab. The train comes from Hoboken, NJ or you can go from Penn Station in NY and change at Seacaucus.

That pass you're talking about may be South Mountain Pass. Down below is Manitou and trains only run on Metro-North there on the weekend so you may have to go to either Peekskill or Garrison to go back to NY. Need More info? I'll be back to check.

I believe train service to Port Jervis is extremely limted on weekends. Just FYI.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    I believe train service to Port Jervis is extremely limted on weekends. Just FYI.
    here is te current schedule for a Saturday.

Origin
    Departure

Destination
    Arrival

Total Travel
    Time
    09:21 AM
    Port Jervis Line #0071
    11:31 AM 130 minutes
    11:21 AM
    Port Jervis Line #0073
    01:31 PM 130 minutes
    01:19 PM
    Port Jervis Line #0075
    03:49 PM 150 minutes
    04:04 PM
    Port Jervis Line #0077
    06:16 PM 132 minutes
    06:13 PM
    Port Jervis Line #0079
    08:22 PM 129 minutes
    09:28 PM
    Port Jervis Line #0081
    11:57 PM 149 minutes
    12:40 AM
    Port Jervis Line #0069
    03:08 AM 148 minutes

About every two hours.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Make an adventure trip of it. Get the camp to run you to Skinners Falls, Narrowsburg, NY, or Minisink Ford and rent a canoe from Bob Landers or Kittatinny. Paddle down to Matamoras, have the outfitter pick up the canoe there, and hike the half-dozen remaining miles to the trail. Plan a couple of days for this one. Narrowsburg to Barryville is about a six hour paddle, Barryville to Matamoras is about eight. I think you can get even closer to the trail in DWG if you continue down river. There are takeouts at River Beach, Dingmans, Bushkill and Smithfield. I don't know how any of that might connect because I've never paddled that section.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++