Default halfmiles maps & guidebook strategy

Hey fellow hikers! i'm trying to sort out a logistics issue in regards to dealing with all my maps & guidebook. For my thru hike im planning on using Yogi's handbook along with Halfmile's maps & trail notes and the water report. For my AT thru hike i just carried AWOL's guidebook and tore out pages once i was done with them, but its not that easy for the PCT since halfmile's maps alone are 300+ pages. The way i see it i have a few options:
    1) before i leave i could organize all of Yogi's handbook sections with the corresponding halfmile maps, trail notes, and water report. Then have someone back home send maildrops with the next section i'll need.
    2) put the handbook, maps, trail notes, and water reports in a bounce box and get sections out as i need them.
    3) use halfmile's app on my smartphone and either maildrop or bounce box sections of the guidebook, trail notes, and water report.

I'm leaning towards using a bounce box that way i dont have to rely on someone back home. Also im a little nervous about using the app instead of carrying the paper maps because if i run out of battery or my phone breaks id be screwed. I was hoping some former PCT thru hikers out there would have some advice. Any thoughts?

~PATCHES

Images

I sent all of my boxes out before my hike with a very rough ETA on them. They were all there when I arrived.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    I sent all of my boxes out before my hike with a very rough ETA on them. They were all there when I arrived.
    Side note: The only PO that I had a drop sent to was Stehekin and I called ahead and made sure it was OK to have my box sit there for months. All of my other drops were to resorts/hostels/etc

I wouldn't carry paper maps at all. Since all of Halfmile's maps and waypoints are in PDF just place them on whatever electronic device you are carrying. If you haven't been on the PCT before you'll be surprised at little you need them. Yogi's guidebook will help you when you hit the towns and that's all I would take.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

I carried a couple sections in advance because I like to see what's coming up in regards to resupplying. If you could get by just with trail notes, then maybe you could put the rest on your cell phone. I'm wary of cell phones since I've broken one on a hike before. Plus it'd be a good idea to have an extra battery or battery pack if the only copy of something so important will be on your cell phone, which adds some weight back and adds more charging hassle, but may eliminate the hassle of a bounce box.

Fwiw, I printed my Halfmile maps in half size. Two pages per side, double sided, so four pages per sheet. Then I trimmed away some of the margins so it'd fit in quart size Ziploc bags.

++ New Posts ++