WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Packing Canister Stove - What is best?

Hello, I have Snowpeak Gigapower canister stove. What is the best way to pack it? I have seen some people keep the stove and canister connected and pack it together in a cook kit; I have seen others pack the stove and canister separate, and reconnect every time they use it. For those that travel with a canister stoves how do you pack it? Thank you for your replies.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you keep the stove connected to the canister, then you risk something possibly knocking the control valve and letting all the gas out of your canister (something that can be a hazardous situation).

But if you remove the stove from the canister, the canister seals itself and it becomes impossible to accidentally "spill" your fuel.

Journal Entries

The hazard risk (ignition and explosion) is basically nonexistent on the trail in a pack typically wet or damp, however the possibility of leaking gas and running out are real concerns. I would suggest separating the 2.

Images

Unless you have a Gigapower with an auto ignition, and then I would say that it is a possibility.

As for packing up I generally kept the stove in its case, and packed it in my cook pot with the other parts of the cook kit. I usually packed the canister separately, especially since it would not fit into the pot.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Unless you have a Gigapower with an auto ignition, and then I would say that it is a possibility.As for packing up I generally kept the stove in its case, and packed it in my cook pot with the other parts of the cook kit. I usually packed the canister separately, especially since it would not fit into the pot.
    Same here - except sometimes I bring my 1L pot so the canister and Vargo Ti stove fit nicely inside. Point is, I would never recommend leaving them connected - I just don't trust 'em that much. Further, in the interest of being self-righteous , I'd make sure I keep the plastic protective lid on the stove when not in use.

Hope this helps

I would not risk traveling with the burner still attached to the canister.... but maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginocasanova View Post
    Hello, I have Snowpeak Gigapower canister stove. What is the best way to pack it? I have seen some people keep the stove and canister connected and pack it together in a cook kit; I have seen others pack the stove and canister separate, and reconnect every time they use it. For those that travel with a canister stoves how do you pack it? Thank you for your replies.
    Not the same model stove, but I have an Optimus solo cook kit that holds various stoves and related kitchen stuff. Fuel stored separately as it should be.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    The hazard risk (ignition and explosion) is basically nonexistent on the trail in a pack typically wet or damp, however the possibility of leaking gas and running out are real concerns. I would suggest separating the 2.
    I don't hike underwater. The OP failed to give us a hiking location.
    Fuel and stove separate.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Slightly off topic, but never pack a white gas stove in your pots. Please don't ask how I know.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Slightly off topic, but never pack a white gas stove in your pots. Please don't ask how I know.
    I've packed my white gas stove in my Ti pot in the past. You've got me wondering.

i'm glad i clicked on the "what's new" at the top of the home page. i have a giga power and i also have a snow peak 600 cup. i pack the stove inside the cup at the bottom, under a 4oz canister. the 600 cup is designed to put the stove at the bottom under the 4oz canster. the canister sits flush with the top of the cup.

i wouldn't worry about the stove breaking either. i've been doing it like this for years now and it's still fine. they are durable for a reason! i'll post some pics soon.

in order for this setup to work, you will need two snow peak hotlips. the hotlips prevent the sides of the canister from making noise in your cup while you're hiking. and the fit with the canister in the cup with the hotlips is SPOT ON. just fold the stove, put it in the bottom of the cup with the stove's starter side on the bottom(face down), then put the canister(with the gray cap, shown in picture) left on the canister, upside down. then take a short accessory strap and strap it around to keep everything in place. as long as the strap is tight, there will be absolutely no movement or noise whatsoever with the setup. i've used this setup for years(as long as i'm taking this on a trip) and everything is fine. the cup doesn't bend from tightening the strap because the canister placed in the cup with the hotlips in place prevent the cup from bending. it's a strong cup anyway. two of my friends have used the same setup for a long time and everything is still in place and in working order. the strap has never come off because it is snug and tight, and probably never will because nobody places a monkey or cat in a pack to take it off, everything in your pack sits in place.

IMG_1901.jpgIMG_1902.jpgIMG_1903.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Toga View Post
    I've packed my white gas stove in my Ti pot in the past. You've got me wondering.
    Petroleum is a rather poor condiment, even in minute quantities.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

+1 on jsbikehike's system-- that's exactly how I've been packing my GigaPower/canister combo, and it works perfectly.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Images

Always separate. It's not exactly a time saver to keep them connected.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Just a note for those that can fit their cannister inside their pot...if I don't use some sort of padding inside my Titan pot, the noise of the gas cannister inside of the pot due to shaking will drive me nuts in no time.

Journal Entries
    Images

I use a canister,stove. I disconnect the two and store my stove in my pot and store both in my food bag.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I had a similar problem with an alchy stove that my buddy stored inside our cookpot after using acetone/nailpolish remover as fuel. I don't recommend it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Just a note for those that can fit their cannister inside their pot...if I don't use some sort of padding inside my Titan pot, the noise of the gas cannister inside of the pot due to shaking will drive me nuts in no time.
    I ran into an issue with galvanic corrosion from storing a canister inside my Titan Kettle between hikes. So I now use a thin sleeve on the bottom of the canister.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++