WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm curious about the elemental horizons packs, has anyone used those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently picked up a new 2014 Osprey Exos 48. About 2#, 6 oz in weight. Although I've only had it out on two hikes so far, I love this pack. The newer style hip and shoulder pads are very comfortable. I can actually reach my waterbottles in the side pockets. The pack is nicley done and super comfortable with the trampoline-style back suspension.

For fun, go to the zpacks site and design your own "Zero" pack. It may give you an idea of what to look for in another pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stevens View Post
    I'm curious about the elemental horizons packs, has anyone used those?
    I recently purchased a Kalais, but have not had a chance to hike with it yet. I can post a review at the end of the summer hiking season. It is a newer company which is why you don't hear so much about them yet.

I'm curious, I need a new pack for my section hike this summer in June, have you had a ula pack before? These appear to be the ones I'm comparing to.

Sorry I am not really qualified to give a review as I have only used crappy packs before this and haven't had a chance to use my new one. Here is a link from earlier this year where I was asking the same questions. I got some useful advice and bought the Kalais based on some good reviews on-line from people who know a lot more than me. I would say that with these options, you probably can't go too wrong, other than the fact that pack fitting is a very personal thing (like shoes?) and even the best pack in the world may not fit you just right. There is always the buy both and sell or return the one you like least strategy. The customer service you get from these cottage companies is generally excellent.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ghlight=kalais

Has anyone tried out SMD Flight series packs yet? I might be interested in their flight 44, but there is little information on how they ride and carry a load. It is Brian Frankle at SMD now, I'm interested if these will be similar to the ULA packs. If anyone has tried one of these I'd like to know what you think!! I'm looking at the Kalais, the OHM 2.0, the Flight 40 by SMD, Gossamer Gear Gorilla, the GoLite Jam 50. I've seen tons of positive feedback for the ULA route. Thanks for all the help guys! Starting to feel part of the community here at Whiteblaze

Quote Originally Posted by apd07c View Post
    For fun, go to the zpacks site and design your own "Zero" pack. It may give you an idea of what to look for in another pack.
    ZimmerBuilt packs get very little mention here. Everybody is all about ULA, MLD, etc., etc. I wonder why?

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/

The same goes for packs from Hyperlite Mountain Gear.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/packs.html

"Bueller? Bueller? Anybody?" Does anyone have any feedback on Zimmerbuilt & Hyperlite Mountain gear backpacks?

While we wait, I'll give two thumbs WAY up for the Jensen pack from Rivendell Mountain Works. I bought mine from the original company in Victor, Idaho way back in the Dark Ages. I was astounded to learn a couple years ago that the packs were back in production in Seattle. Bulletproof 1000D Cordura construction. Positive weight transfer to your hips. Will handle loads that make the wimpy skimpy packs scream for mercy. Available in two versions: Original & Giant. The external pockets are the best on the market this side of the Mystery Ranch Terraplane. I am strongly considering buying a Giant Jensen to replace my ArcFlex Terraplane for multi-week and/or winter trips.

http://www.rivendellmountainworks.co.../jensen-packs/

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I liked my original Ohm, except for the hip belt. The Ohm 2.0 fixes that. The rest of the pack is great -- plenty of capacity, good compression, love the stretchy mesh front pocket, etc.

I ended up getting a custom Circuit so I could have only one pack, and it handles my winter gear. But if I wanted a smaller pack for warm weather hiking (when my base is down to around 12 pounds), the Ohm 2.0 would be at the top of my list.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The Gossamer Gear Mariposa is a great pack.

So I went ahead and got the Ohm 2.0, thanks for all of the help guys!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMan View Post
    The Gossamer Gear Mariposa is a great pack.
    Here Here...2nd that.

I've been using the Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil® Day Pack lately. It is 2.4 oz with enough room for UL gear and food. I've only used it for a couple hundred miles but I really like it. I don't even notice I have a pack on.

It cost around $30.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

Wolf

How's the durability on that pack, Wolf? Looks like an interesting alternative to the Eddie Bauer rippack. Aside from being unnecessarily heavy for a collapsible bag, the Rippack falls apart pretty quickly. If that sil pack holds up okay I might have to pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    How's the durability on that pack, Wolf? Looks like an interesting alternative to the Eddie Bauer rippack. Aside from being unnecessarily heavy for a collapsible bag, the Rippack falls apart pretty quickly. If that sil pack holds up okay I might have to pick one up.
    CalebJ,

I have not hiked with it to long but it is surprising a very tought UL pack. It is very durabily for on-trail hiking. My pack has no rips, tape up splits or anything like that. As I said before, I don't even notice I have a pack on. A few time, I had to do the pat-check to make sure it was there.

I know what you mean about packs falling apart. I've tried a couple of UL packs now that you have to be real gental with or else they do fall apart. This pack seems like one of the better ones.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stevens View Post
    So I have my base weight to just below 10 lbs, to celebrate I'd like to get a new UL or lightweight pack, I figure I'll need to carry a weeks worth of food at a time max for my upper limit, I've looked at the ULA Ohm 2.0 and ULA CDT, the MLD Exodus, the GoLite Jam 50, the Osprey Exos 46 or 48 but I'm having trouble deciding, do any of you recommend any other packs I might be missing, or think that one pack is a lot better than the other? Any advice is appreciated.
    You are on the right track, but I would also look at Gossamer Gear packs. I have carried gear and food for up to 6 days between resupply on the AT; gear and 9 days of food in Olympic National park and in the Wind River Range in a Gossamer Gear Gorilla. If you want more room than the Gorilla, check out the Mariposa.

Disclaimer: I am a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear, but all of the hiking mentioned above with my trusty Gorilla predated any relationship I now have with the company.
    Last edited by QiWiz; 04-22-2014 at 17:39.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with the Exodus or a Plague (or whatever the name of the one between the burn and exodus is--I think the names sequentially follow the biblical account of Moses) w/ the optional top lid for whenever you need to bring more food.
    I think it's the "Ark" or the "Flood"? Way too much volume in my opinion: room enough for two of every species but no room for first cousins. But better than the "Onan" which spilled everything on the ground.

I'm waiting for the "Lot's Wife" model: a pack worth its salt!

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    You are on the right track, but I would also look at Gossamer Gear packs. I have carried gear and food for up to 6 days between resupply on the AT; gear and 9 days of food in Olympic National park and in the Wind River Range in a Gossamer Gear Gorilla. If you want more room than the Gorilla, check out the Mariposa.

Disclaimer: I am a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear, but all of the hiking mentioned above with my trusty Gorilla predated any relationship I now have with the company.
    Follow up question:
    Would you use the Mariposa for a 2 week unsupported trek in the Rockies...without the lightest base weight on Earth?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

I have purchased 4 ULA packs, still have 3.

My current favorite pack for weights of 25lb and less, is my arc blast.

fit and torso length, are important. ULA packs will come in discrete sizes that they are not willing to adjust (too many changed panels I guess). It may work for you, it might not. Joe can get the strap placement on the Arc perfect for you. Perfect as in zero weight on shoulders, and the pack does not lean back away from your body.

On my Circuit, the load lifters and chest strap are necessary.
    On my Ohm, the load lifters are necessary, chest strap is not
    On my Arc, neither load lifters or chest strap is needed. Joe is doing something very right.

I also have a lean 31" waist, and the Arc belt wraps it more snugly, and more comfortably than my Circuits. I put the Arc on and buckle the belt. There is never any readjusting the shoulder, waist belt, and load lifters each time as on many other packs.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-23-2014 at 21:03.

Quote Originally Posted by GBarron View Post
    I think it's the "Ark" or the "Flood"? Way too much volume in my opinion: room enough for two of every species but no room for first cousins. But better than the "Onan" which spilled everything on the ground.

I'm waiting for the "Lot's Wife" model: a pack worth its salt!
    I hear next year there's two new designs: the Methuselah is renown for it's durability and the Ramesses's Heart pack is hard enough it does double duty as it's own bear canister!
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++