WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sociopaths

Default sociopaths

I've enjoyed a number of trail journals.
    Listening to the beauty of sitting on a rock watching the sun set, sitting on the same rock watching the sun rise.
    Coming across a doe, seeing how it guards it's fawn. Giving it the respect it's asking for.
    A field of wild flowers every conceivable color.
    the bone deep tired/sore from hiking in the rain for the last 3 days, only expecting 3 more.
    Digging deep into your soul.
    I expect most hikers are like this.

But what do you do about the sociopaths ?

The guy with a machette on 1 hip and a pistol on the other, telling you the shelter is full !!
    with his 2 buddies, and a dog lunging on it's leash ready to tear your face off.
    no body else around

the person bragging about the gun he has in his pack

the person with the dog that jumps on and tears your tent.

The person with the dog barking all night long, saying gosh he doesn't do that at home.
    !!! But we're not at your house are we !!!

The weekenders that leave 3 cases of beer cans and 6 empty whiskey bottles behind the shelter.

the person who demands a place in the shelter because it's raining hard and he decided to not bring a tent.

Same person who wants to use your water filter, or your stove, he didn't bring one.

I am the center of my universe
    You are the center of yours
    Parallel universes

I am your friend not your adversary
    Respect each other

Have we met?

It's just the AT.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Geez, talk about Victim Mentality. Your characterization of what one runs into on the AT is way out of step with reality. However, it's true you can run into one of the scenarios above, but showing fear is one thing that should never be part of your response.

You're probably reading too much into what you're reading in TJ. Maybe you should read something about breaking the habit of becoming one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_mentality

I dont bring a dog/gun or rambo knife but enjoy people who do. I like dogs but dont want the hassle of bringing mine. I like when other hikers have guns...I get the best of both worlds, zero weight with protection.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Geez, talk about Victim Mentality. Your characterization of what one runs into on the AT is way out of step with reality. However, it's true you can run into one of the scenarios above, but showing fear is one thing that should never be part of your response.

You're probably reading too much into what you're reading in TJ. Maybe you should read something about breaking the habit of becoming one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_mentality
    +1 and amen!
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

Stay home.... Find a couch and talk to someone...

http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Social-Skills
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-19-2014 at 09:20.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I've enjoyed a number of trail journals.
    Listening to the beauty of sitting on a rock watching the sun set, sitting on the same rock watching the sun rise.
    Coming across a doe, seeing how it guards it's fawn. Giving it the respect it's asking for.
    A field of wild flowers every conceivable color.
    the bone deep tired/sore from hiking in the rain for the last 3 days, only expecting 3 more.
    Digging deep into your soul.
    I expect most hikers are like this.

The guy with a machette on 1 hip and a pistol on the other, telling you the shelter is full !!
    with his 2 buddies, and a dog lunging on it's leash ready to tear your face off.
    no body else around

the person bragging about the gun he has in his pack

the person with the dog that jumps on and tears your tent.

The person with the dog barking all night long, saying gosh he doesn't do that at home.
    !!! But we're not at your house are we !!!

The weekenders that leave 3 cases of beer cans and 6 empty whiskey bottles behind the shelter.

the person who demands a place in the shelter because it's raining hard and he decided to not bring a tent.

Same person who wants to use your water filter, or your stove, he didn't bring one.

I am the center of my universe
    You are the center of yours
    Parallel universes

I am your friend not your adversary
    Respect each other
    Yea, that is general WB shop talk. Being around a lot of those folks for a short time makes them appear more dangerous than really are. Had you spent more time with them you can see the world more through there eyes. The barking dog thing. What can you say, it can be hard to get a good night sleep near a shelter, lots of characters.

I thought YOU were thru-hiking this year.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Those people sound more like dooms-day preppers getting ready for the zombie apocalypse. A sociopath is a completely different animal (and I say animal, purposely). I know what you mean, but from someone who has first hand experience with a clinical sociopath...I'd rather hang out with the preppers but that's just my zero-tolerance policy for lying

The dog thing really gets to me. Dog's should be able to obey the "down" "sit" "hush" "no" and "go away" commands without hesitation or fail. The people who have out of control pets either do not put in the time (responsibility) necessary with their animals, or are abusing their purpose (i.e. those dogs don't belong in social settings).

As for guns, I've carried before on backcountry trips. I did 10 days in Glacier National Park and both my partner and I carried (bear spray and sidearms). We had some liberal hippies start in on gun violence and how it should be illegal (blah blah), and about 4 hours down the trail the group walked around a corner about 15yds from a grizzly. We didn't hear a peep about guns the rest of the day, and they were attached to our hip wherever we went (hmmm?). I can see where it would be annoying hearing all the bragging going on who's packing what, but I think of it like a dry-fly or compass...it's just a tool that I might have to use, but hopefully I don't

Happy Trails,

Clay

Journal Entries
    Images

cwhitt7 that last paragraph had me laughing my hiking socks off....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I feel that being able to hike/backpack along the AT is an absolute privilege, and I am grateful to those who developed it, maintain the trail, and lobby to protect this gem in the world.

When I meet new people on the trail, I'm friendly and cordial; need to fit one more in this shelter?? Sure!

But I realize that while the majority of people who enjoy the trail are grateful just as I am, there is always someone you'll run into eventually, who believes the the world is their trashcan and they're entitled to ruin whatever they see fit.

This would be the - let's be honest - hostile person with the starving and non disciplined dog carrying that machete - who believes he is entitled to the entire shelter, to allow his dog to snap at others and will feel free to leave his trash behind and write profanity on the shelter walls.

In my opinion, it is an epidemic: entitlement.

Those people are in society and as the AT is a society all its own - we're bound to run across them eventually.

When I don't feel safe, I just leave. [and from previous experience - staying will likely lead to an unrestful night as well as a loooovely case of scabies].

I wish I were kidding.

I know I'm going to get a bunch of heat about how judgmental I am but whatever - I never deface the shelters. I never leave trash behind. I never threaten other people. I keep 13 gallon trash bags in the boot of my car and when I see trash at the trailhead, I pick up bagfuls. And when I take my dog, she's well behaved, as she's been trained; and I always have a leash for backup in case someone is afraid of her at the shelter.

When I'm out, I focus on hiking my own hike. I'm grateful for the opportunity to do that! And I try to avoid the entitleds as much as possible. [yes, I just made that word up]. Keeping perspective on how beautiful the trail is and how lucky I am to enjoy it, helps me to forget (and forgive) the jerks.

Certainly it would be miserable to never be grateful for how much beauty there is around us while out in nature.

Sociopaths are usually quite friendly btw. None of the characters you mentioned sounded like sociopaths, but unique people... which I might argue is the most common personality trait of backpackers anyway. If you backpack, you are probably pretty unique and just don't realize it.

Images

Really. Maybe one of those things occur in 2000 miles. Get real. Not victim mentality its just a sheltered kid who worries about too many things that might possibly sort of happen to some other guy that you partially heard about. Fear triumphs over reality.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I agree, unless they are sociopaths! Hahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by cwhitt7 View Post
    Those people sound more like dooms-day preppers getting ready for the zombie apocalypse. A sociopath is a completely different animal (and I say animal, purposely). I know what you mean, but from someone who has first hand experience with a clinical sociopath...I'd rather hang out with the preppers but that's just my zero-tolerance policy for lying

The dog thing really gets to me. Dog's should be able to obey the "down" "sit" "hush" "no" and "go away" commands without hesitation or fail. The people who have out of control pets either do not put in the time (responsibility) necessary with their animals, or are abusing their purpose (i.e. those dogs don't belong in social settings).

As for guns, I've carried before on backcountry trips. I did 10 days in Glacier National Park and both my partner and I carried (bear spray and sidearms). We had some liberal hippies start in on gun violence and how it should be illegal (blah blah), and about 4 hours down the trail the group walked around a corner about 15yds from a grizzly. We didn't hear a peep about guns the rest of the day, and they were attached to our hip wherever we went (hmmm?). I can see where it would be annoying hearing all the bragging going on who's packing what, but I think of it like a dry-fly or compass...it's just a tool that I might have to use, but hopefully I don't

Happy Trails,

Clay
    Agree, agree, agree. I would be your best friend after running into a grizzly!

Hmmm I am probably closer to the Doomsday prepper than most, but that's because I work in disaster response, and live in hurricane central. So we have extra supplies for when things go sideways. That being said, anyone who is telling you about his firearm is NOT the guy you will probably ever have to worry about. He is someone looking for acceptance, prestige, or whatever he thinks that discussion will bring. The fact that he is discussing his weapon is a mark of immaturity since he doesn't know if you are a gun hater, or a gun "taker" LOL. He is not a threat.

Anyone who is really a "prepper" is not going to discuss what he has with him. He will keep his mouth shut and talk recipes, ultra light equipment, food storage, etc. People who have concerns that lead to prepping are often quirky, but seldom dangerous. So he is NOT a threat.

The only threat out there is possibly a real sociopath, and you will never know that he is one. Part of that sickness is the desire and ability to "hide" themselves. But relax, true socio's are few and far between (thank goodness).

And my last thought on this is that when I read the title, I thought someone was being clever......
    socio- paths Trails where people are sociable

I was sort of disappointed to find that this was a real thread and not a witticism. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by myakka_ View Post
    The only threat out there is possibly a real sociopath, and you will never know that he is one. Part of that sickness is the desire and ability to "hide" themselves. But relax, true socio's are few and far between (thank goodness).
    You nailed it.

no body else around
    Something like this just happened to a hiker the other day >Read This

Don't know if you call these people sociopaths, I think A-Holes is would be a better term.
    One thing you can do is try and hook up with another hiker and not hike alone.

I'm always much more worried about the guy who doesn't talk and tries to hide instead of the overly showy people. I know what they have.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++