WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Spot v. Delorme

Images

Default Spot v. Delorme

Thinking about getting one of these devices. Primary use would be for my husband to take on bike rides to be able to contact me for pickup in case he has some sort of problem. Secondary use would be for me to take hiking to send him messages. Most of the area where we will be biking and hiking has no cell phone coverage, so using cell phones is not really an option.

At this point we're leaning towards the Delorme.

Or maybe we'll choke on the price and not get anything at all.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Section Hiker

I backpack by myself and bought the Delorme around the first of this year. I am happy with it and consider it worth the price--my family agrees. Unless the Spot has changed, the Delorme has a LOT more capability. With the Delorme, you have your 3 preset messages that don't count toward your monthly allowance, but you can also compose, send, and receive text and email. It is first and foremost a satellite communicator. You family can go onto your MapShare page and click the Locate button to find you in real time, as well as follow your track. For GPS and mapping, it integrates with my iPhone and if/when I want to look at the map (where I am, where I've been, where I want to go) I can turn on my phone and do that. This would be helpful if you get lost or in just planning your next day. The only thing I wish it did better was be more accurate with mileage and elevation as well as drop waypoints at fewer than 10 minute intervals. But, it is a communicator. I am also happy with the battery life so far. I can tell you, it does take a couple minutes for messages to send/receive. The times my messages have not gone through I either turned it off too early upon reaching camp, or once I chucked it under my backpack in the tent and it didn't send. It does beep when the message is done sending, so you just have to listen for that before turning it off for the day. Hope this helps!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries
    Images

I used the Spot Gen 2 on CDT last year. I liked it so much I just purchased the Gen 3 Spot device for my return to CDT this June 20th to hike SOBO. Gen 3 has longer battery life and other features to offer over the Gen 2.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I have been happy with the Delorme SE I got part year. Have not had any issues with it

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

If you want to send custom messages that eliminates the SPOT doesn't it?

I have a gen 2 SPOT and it has performed perfectly. There is one custom message field that can be pre-programmed but as far as sending customized text from any random place on the trail it would never do.

Images

The custom message feature seems pretty handy for us figuring out where to meet up.

The other reason we're leaning towards the Delorme is that we'd probably only use the service for 3 or 4 months a year. (Not a long of biking going on in Montana the rest of the time.) There are many complaints online about Spot having terrible customer service and making it almost impossible to cancel your service contract.

Are you going to carry the Spot on the PCT, 10-K?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Are you going to carry the Spot on the PCT, 10-K?
    I've fought tooth and nail against it. The deal I have with my wife is that she can send it to me at Kennedy Meadows.

As for making it hard to cancel a subscription - here's a trick. Get a Visa gift card, spend all of it but a few dollars, then replace the credit card they have on file with the gift card number when you're ready to cancel your subscription. They'll try to bill it but it'll get declined - then you'll just create an email filter that sends all the "Your card was declined" emails to your trash folder so you will never see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Thinking about getting one of these devices. Primary use would be for my husband to take on bike rides to be able to contact me for pickup in case he has some sort of problem. Secondary use would be for me to take hiking to send him messages. Most of the area where we will be biking and hiking has no cell phone coverage, so using cell phones is not really an option.

At this point we're leaning towards the Delorme.

Or maybe we'll choke on the price and not get anything at all.
    I have both. I changed from using my Spot to Delorme for one important reason. With the Delorme, you can receive a return message.

A couple of years ago, I was hiking the Clear Creek Trail in the Grand Canyon. Although it was October, it was still very hot. One of the men in our group collapsed on the trail. We determined that his situation was dire enough to warrant a helicopter rescue. I activated the SPOT' 911 feature. While we waited I administered first aid and was successful in reviving the man. After rehydration and rest he was able to walk out. The helicopter never came. When we hiked out, I learned that the SPOT message was not received. Apparently, the transmission of the message was blocked by the canyon walls.

The same thing could happen with the Delorme; however, with the Delorme I would know the message was not receive because I would not receive a return message. With the Delorme, the emergency center will send a reply. The two way communication is worth the extra cost.

I have had only one incident with the Delorme. One time I accidentally sent an emergency signal (it is to complicated to explain). I immediately received a return message and was able to cancel the call before any action was taken. Their quick response was confirmation that it works as I expected.

I have used my Delorme in South America and Asia. It is a good way to stay in touch with family when we travel. Last year, we sent and received text messages from the Amazon Jungles and from the Mekong River.
    Shutterbug

We have choices now. Just based on cost alone:
    - PLB - ~$250 - Good for 5 - 6 years.
    - SPOT Gen 3 - $150 hardware, $162* per year subscription. Only annual subscription available.
    - Delorme InReach - ~$300 hardware, a number of plans. Minimum of ~$90* and a max of ~ >$1000 per year.

*Freedom plan, $25, ,$20, $15, $14(140 track points), $5(10 messages), $12(one month contract) - track points was WAG based on my typical 3 day trip.
    * includes rescue insurance

Features are a different subject.

Journal Entries
    Images

Marta: There is a real nice ad for a Delorme product like we are discussing in latest BP magazine. It is for the inReach Explorer. Page 35. I wonder what service charges are like for this. With my Spot I pay about $150 a year. one time fee all year service.
    Last edited by SunnyWalker; 04-20-2014 at 14:26.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

++ New Posts ++