WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Default Lightweight Digicam Recommendations

It looks as if I'm once again in the market for a new compact digital camera and am looking for very specific recommendations meeting the following criteria. I'm not keen to use my iPhone 5S as my primary backpacking camera.

Requirements

1. At least 12 megapixels
    2. 4-7 ounces without battery
    3. At least a 4X optical zoom
    4. 2.5"+ LCD screen (backlit or light-sensitive or viewfinder backup under direct sun)
    5. 720p HD video
    6. Wide-angle lens (28-200mm or wider ideally)
    7. Image stabilization

Nice-to-haves
    • GPS
    • Waterproof/-resistant
    • Shockproof
    • Cold-hardened
    • 1080p HD video
    • Optical viewfinder
    • 300+ shots per battery charge
    • CMOS sensor (or should this be a requirement to improve picture quality?)

I'm currently considering the Canon PowerShot ELPH-340 or -140, the Panasonic TZ40, and the ruggedized Sony Cyber-Shot TX30. I'd love to hear from anyone with experience with these cameras, or others that meet my criteria.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

You will not find both a long zoom and waterproof in the same camera. Also, "digital zoom" is just in camera cropping, and best avoided. As for an optical viewfinder, I doubt you will find any at all. So, check out the many remaining candidates, read reviews, and take your pick. You are not likely to go too far wrong.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Whiteblaze thinks the comments below are too short so this is just to get it to accept the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    It looks as if I'm once again in the market for a new compact digital camera and am looking for very specific recommendations meeting the following criteria. I'm not keen to use my iPhone 5S as my primary backpacking camera.

I recently picked up a Panasonic LF1 as a back-up camera for this summer's JMT thru hike.

Requirements

1. At least 12 megapixels - 12 MP
    2. 4-7 ounces without battery - 6 oz without battery
    3. At least a 4X optical zoom - Optical Zoom: 7.1x
    4. 2.5"+ LCD screen (backlit or light-sensitive or viewfinder backup under direct sun) - 3.0" LCD Rear Screen (920,000 pixels)
    5. 720p HD video - 1920 x 1080: 60 fps, 50 fps, 30 fps, 25 fps
    6. Wide-angle lens (28-200mm or wider ideally) - 6-42.8 mm (35 mm equivalent: 28-200 mm)
    7. Image stabilization - optical

Nice-to-haves
    • GPS - no
    • Waterproof/-resistant - no
    • Shockproof - no
    • Cold-hardened - no
    • 1080p HD video - yes
    • Optical viewfinder - electronic - can turn LCD screen off to conserve battery and for bright sun
    • 300+ shots per battery charge - not quite, 290 I believe, but extra batteries are VERY light and cheap)
    • CMOS sensor (or should this be a requirement to improve picture quality?) - 1:1.7 MOS sensor - larger than most P&S sensors. MOS is an alternative to CMOS. It is a low energy consumer, great color rendition, higher light sensitivity, and supposedly lower noise. Used by several of the Micro 4/3 camera makers.

In addition to the above:

- This camera, charges via USB I also picked up an external charger with two extra batteries on Amazon for $25. Wasabi batteries - very reputable company.
    - Built in WiFi
    - Panasonic "Panorama" mode. Makes panorama shots extremely easy, in-camera. Not as high quality as taking multiple shots and later stitching together, but very easy and of usable quality as long as large prints aren't desired.

Really, I'm not a Panasonic salesman, but this camera is on sale now at B&H for $299. Normally $349.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

I'm currently considering the Canon PowerShot ELPH-340 or -140, the Panasonic TZ40, and the ruggedized Sony Cyber-Shot TX30. I'd love to hear from anyone with experience with these cameras, or others that meet my criteria.

Images

Thanks, Lyle! I'll check out the Panasonic LF1.

Images

Just did a little sleuthing. Actually the LF1 video is 1080i not 1080p - maybe a deal-killer for you if that is important. Not a problem for me. Check it out anyway, very compact!!

Olympus just announced a new waterproof to several meters

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

I will just add this to your "look - see" I have tried numerous manufactures and software or cold temps let me down... take a peek at cool pix with Nikon. - never had any issues.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Thanks, WOW. I've seen good reviews of the Nikon Coolpix, but the weight is a bit heavier than I'd like. I will likely use it to compare relative picture quality.

Maybe not appropriate for "straight forward", but consider a look at the Nokia Lumina phones.

A couple would fit your bill for pictures/videos and be, of course, multifunction.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3_digital.html

Highlights
    16MP 1/2.3" BSI CMOS Sensor
    TruePic VII Image Processor
    Olympus 4x Optical Zoom Lens
    25-100mm f/2.0-4.9 (35mm Equivalent)
    Water, Crush, Shock, Freeze & Dustproof
    3.0" 460k-Dot LCD Monitor
    Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps
    Built-In Wi-Fi, GPS, and e.Compass
    ISO 6400 and 5 fps Continuous Shooting
    Interval Shooting and Microscope Mode

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

JVC Action Camera GC-XA1 HDMI Wi-Fi most everything you wanted, AND 1/4 20 mounting system which is standard so no expensive proprietary system to work around. waterproof, shockproof. 4x only, 170 degrees, this camera takes real nice video. Black Friday special at best buy was $99. regular price is $199 I think. Very small with a lot of features. works great on a stick pic.

Images

Almost bought an Olympus Tough on a cruise. Waterproof, shockproof, useable to 14 degrees. Looked and felt nice, but not sure of the real savings (they got you because they know you don't have Internet in the damn ocean). It was $250 on the boat (and no sales tax). Should have bought it, the same camera in the states is $280, and I still have to pay shipping (but no sales tax. I love the Internet). Right now I use my wife's coolpix s3100. It only ran me $150, and it's not waterproof , but it works really well. I figure if I dunk it in the creek or drop it off a cliff, I'm not out much: not like wrecking a phone or a $300 "waterproof, shockproof" camera. It seems the most common complaint about waterproof cameras is water leaks. Imagine that...
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I think the Olympus TG-2 meets most of your criteria and nice-to-haves. I've been using one on several trips now, and it's been a great camera. It takes nice pictures, and it takes a beating (I've dropped it on concrete at least once from about 3' in the air...by accident of course). I used to have a Canon Power Shot (I was sort of a Canon fan boy), and the picture quality of it seemed to degrade over time. Maybe it was just coincidence, but I feel the exposure to extreme temperatures and moisture may have contributed to the degradation in picture quality. Plus I used to have to carry it in a bag or something to keep it from getting wet. Anyway, it's nice to have something waterproof, that can be dropped and not break the first time it's dropped, and takes nice pictures. The battery life is good too. I took it on the JMT last year, and never actually put one of the extra batteries in it that I was carrying (although I did charge it when I had the opportunity).
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Thanks, Berserker.

My daughter just sent me a link to the new GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, which can supposedly take 12MP snapshots and weighs only 2.6 oz (4.8 with waterproof housing) at a cost of $399. I don't anticipate shooting a lot of HD video, but I will be taking a look at the pros and cons of the GoPro along with the Olympus, Canon and Panasonic models.

My current plan is to get something by mid-June in time to do a thru-hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail.

Images

The cons with go-pro tend to be battery life, or so I have read. Especially shooting video...

Not sure how long the others last. I can tell you my wife's Nikon coolpix with its little li-ion battery will last days. Took it on a three day hike and shot about 100 pics and some video, no dent in the battery indicator.
    And don't let megapixels sell you cameras... thats an advertising hype they learned long ago will sell cameras faster than anything else.
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    And don't let megapixels sell you cameras... thats an advertising hype they learned long ago will sell cameras faster than anything else.
    Very true. At the same time, you will want to be taking at least 7 MP pictures if you'd eventually like to blow them up to 8x10 for display. I have a number of great pictures that I've taken over the years, but I can only blow up those 3 MP shots to about 5x7 before you start seeing graininess.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Very true. At the same time, you will want to be taking at least 7 MP pictures if you'd eventually like to blow them up to 8x10 for display. I have a number of great pictures that I've taken over the years, but I can only blow up those 3 MP shots to about 5x7 before you start seeing graininess.
    True - good luck finding a 3mp camera though, even if you wanted. But a lot of folks see a 12mp and a 14mp camera side by side, and abandon everything else to say "Ooh, this one is 14mp! It must be better". Sounds like you know what you're talking about. I'll shut up now.

Images

I like to think I know what I'm talking about for the things I know; it's the things I don't know that trip me up!

Keep the ideas coming. The GoPro is an interesting concept, but I will need to get a good read on the battery life and usability.

++ New Posts ++