WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Question Used backpacking gear ay or nay?

I am just curious what everyone's thought is on buying used backpacking gear. If you could by lightly used gear at 40% to 60% off retail would you?
    Buy and Sell Used Outdoor Gear!
    www.ologearexchange.com

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
    -- T.S. Eliot

Absolutely. If it's been well taken care of, used is a great way to go.

Never a sleeping bag or quilt but, otherwise yes.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Socalhiker87 View Post
    I am just curious what everyone's thought is on buying used backpacking gear. If you could by lightly used gear at 40% to 60% off retail would you?

Given that your signature line includes a link labeled as "Buy and Sell Used Outdoor Gear!" I consider this a loaded question...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Now I just feel cheap and violated

Same here.

And only 6 posts? Hmmm.

And yes, I know my post count is not high, but then I don't ask (very) loaded questions.

If you can afford new gear, researching it and anticipating it is a big part of the thrill. But you can save major bucks by buying lightly used tents - especially - and backpacks. As said above, I wouldn't consider buying a pre-owned sleeping bag - unless it still had tags and had never been slept in.

No need to be rude, the OP asked a legitimate question. He's trying to get feedback from the hiker community, nothing wrong with that.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

as a dedicated frugalist, used is the only way to fly. I always try used first.
    I guess, if cost was no object, new would be fine, but lets face it, cost IS a MAIN object!!!
    I've never had a bad experience with the forum here.
    I can try a brand and resell it for 10% off easily if it's not quite right.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

I would never buy used bedding but I do get outdoor clothing at thrift stores. But in the end I usually do not buy used gear for the simple fact that most folks are asking for near retail prices. If I wanted to pay retail I would buy new.

Why the chastising? There is not a rude post and it has only been pointed out that the OP is a commercial post.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 04-20-2014 at 07:32.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Pretty sure asking for information about a potential business is allowed . Advertising on the other hand is for those banner ads!

To the OP's question:
    I buy used backpacking gear. I do business with individuals, getting a feel for them. Personal communication is always important. I always ask "why are you selling it?" I don't think I would buy many items from a store that's selling used unless I could inspect the items or have them guaranteed to have been inspected. Even then, I doubt I would purchase sleeping bags or clothing - both items I have purchased from people here on Whiteblaze.

Hmm, to backtrack a bit, I live near IME and they have a consignment shop in their basement. If the right piece showed up there, I would purchase it - clothing and sleeping bags included. Seeing it in person is a huge component.

I would not purchase a used water filter.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

I'd have no problem buying gear, with the exception of sleeping gear, used. The problem is that it is very seldom less expensive than new gear on sale. If it is, then it is beat up and a poor investment. I looked for a used tent on craigs list a few years ago and anything I found was within 20% of the new sticker price. That's a price I can always buy new gear for. It would have to be at 50% or less of the sticker price and in almost new condition before I'd buy it.

Images

Very high quality UL gear will often sell at 80-90% retail. I have even seen 100% retail when the gear in question has long lead time new from the supplier. I have bought several things used and all have worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Pretty sure asking for information about a potential business is allowed . Advertising on the other hand is for those banner ads!

To the OP's question:
    I buy used backpacking gear. I do business with individuals, getting a feel for them. Personal communication is always important. I always ask "why are you selling it?" I don't think I would buy many items from a store that's selling used unless I could inspect the items or have them guaranteed to have been inspected. Even then, I doubt I would purchase sleeping bags or clothing - both items I have purchased from people here on Whiteblaze.

Hmm, to backtrack a bit, I live near IME and they have a consignment shop in their basement. If the right piece showed up there, I would purchase it - clothing and sleeping bags included. Seeing it in person is a huge component.

I would not purchase a used water filter.
    To me, the OP reads as thinly veiled advertisement for an existing business.

Agreed on buying sleeping bags and clothing used after an inspection. I've even purchased a bag on eBay from a seller that claimed it had only been used once or twice. There were pictures of the bag showing it lofting up fully and I took a chance (out the door for about $175 instead of $350-400 new). Very glad I did, that bag has seen lots of use for the last six years and is still holding up great.

Probably wouldn't buy a filter used in general since a lot of the new ones are designed as single use (like the Sawyers). The ones with replaceable elements wouldn't bother me so much because they can be cleaned and a new cartridge installed. Would have to be a great deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Socalhiker87 View Post
    I have done this dozens of times. If I like the item, I keep it. If it ends up not being ideal for me, I will resell. On eBay, I've sometimes gotten more for it than I paid in the first place. Important to make some assessment of the seller, especially if it's an expensive item (like high quality down). But it can save many $$$.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Thanks for all the answers guys! I felt like this was a great site to get some input from experienced hikers and backpackers. I am at the beginning stages of starting a used outdoor gear retail shop in Southern California. I've been hiking, backpacking, and camping for many years. I love the idea of working in a field that makes me happy. I've heard if you love your job you will never work a day in your life. Also, I don't claim to know all and I enjoy asking other's opinion especially from members of this forum, it's one of the best ways to learn. You can find some of the most passionate and knowledgeable people about a topic from forums like this. Thanks again. I apologize to the guys that felt cheated. That's you honest opinion and I respect that! Happy trails!
    Buy and Sell Used Outdoor Gear!
    www.ologearexchange.com

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
    -- T.S. Eliot

Section Hiker

Chiming in on the used sleeping bag subject. I wouldn't buy a used low-end bag or a bag from someone I wasn't familiar with. I DID buy a used Western Mountaineering down bag from a fellow WB'er. It's the only way I would be able to buy such a quality bag.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I am glad you posted a clarification. The next part is just my opinion...I would have liked to see that explanation included in your first post.

Journal Entries

Ive bought and sold a bit of gear. Used, high quality gear, is a great way to go. Just like lightly used used cars are too.

But, just like cars, I would never buy them from a dealer. By default, they no longer become a good bargain when a 3rd party gets involved and tries to make money off of them. Usually way overpriced IMO.

I dont see used gear as being a high margin business when people already have ample places to sell their gear to others. High quality gear sells within MINUTES on BPL. Sometimes withing SECONDS of being posted.

Cheap gear , doesnt sell at all. People look for lower prices on high quality items they dont want to pay full new price on due the very high prices. If I cant get like-new gear for ~65% of the new price, Id rather just buy it new. No sense taking risk to save $30 on an item, $150 is a different story.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-26-2014 at 05:54.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I dont see used gear as being a high margin business when people already have ample places to sell their gear to others. High quality gear sells within MINUTES on BPL. Sometimes withing SECONDS of being posted.
    I've been told it can do okay. The example I was told was of a guy that gets used gear from rich touristy towns like Mammoth Lakes, and then selling it elsewhere. It really makes a lot of sense too since on this forum and others I hear about people finding nice wool and down gear at thrift stores, but I can't find anything like that here unless it's in really nasty shape. I've never seen prices for decent down sleeping bags on craigslist anywhere close to what I see here and other backpacking sites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++