WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Finger Lakes Nat'l Forest- NY

https://www.flickr.com/photos/492395...7644148107703/

This weekend I went hiking in NY's Finger Lakes Nat'l Forest, covering 16,000 acres between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes. I did a figure 8 loop using the Interloken, No-Tan-Takto, Backbone, Ravine, and Burnt Hill Trails.

I was very surprised by the beauty of this hike. The trails are very easy with level and rolling terrain, there are virtually no rocks. Keep in mind the trails can be very wet and it is best to avoid going in early to mid Spring like I did. Even though there are many boardwalks, water and mud was still an issue. Wait until the trails dry out. The trails go through scenic woodlands with some large trees and plantations of pine. There are also many fields and pastures along the trails, offering non-stop views. In the summer, cows use the pastures. The trails are still open, but be sure to close the gates. There are also two ponds, Foster and Teeter Ponds, both are scenic. Teeter is the largest and has a lot of beaver activity. In fact there was a beaver lodge right on the trail. There were two good campsites near this pond. Ravine Trail was very scenic as the trail explored the rim of a narrow ravine with cascades, hemlocks, and large trees. The bird life was impressive on this hike, I saw several red tail hawks, many kestrels, and brown thrushes.
    Wind and sun exposure can be an issue on this hike.

The trails are very well signed and the Interloken Trail was well blazed, as was the Ravine Trail. The other trails were not as well blazed, or not at all, but were easy to follow. One section on the No-Tan-Takto Trail was hard to follow between Seneca Road and County Road 1, but wasn't too hard to figure out. The No-Tan-Takto Trail is officially blazed yellow, but you will also notice some blue blazes. This trail passes through extensive fields with many views. The Backbone Trail followed an old country lane, now grassy and passes several small streams. I had all the trails to myself. A great hike, well worth the time to check out. The hike was around 20 miles.

The FLNF has some nice trails and good campsites. The great campsites are hidden off the main trails. There are also some other semi-marked and unmarked trails especially in the southern portion. One other word about the main trails, as spring turns to summer, they will get muddy as well because many are designated horse trails. The history of the area is interesting. Evidence of old homesteads are easily found. Foster and/or Teeter ponds get stocked with trout in early spring. Most are soon caught as they are easy to get to. AFAIK, no trout survive the winter so same year stock is all one will catch. There are smallmouth bass too (not very large).

As in PA, if'n you like the National Forest in west-central NY you'll love the State Forests.

My favorite trail in that area is the wine tasting trail.

++ New Posts ++