WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Halulite Minimalist fro GSI

Trying to lighten up my pack, and right now my eyes are on the Halulite Minimalist. Has anyone tried this cookset?

http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/...kware_cooksets

or any other lightweight options would be great, at 6.3 oz for around $28 I wouldn't mind going up a bit on price, but would need to be less in weight. My current cookset is an MSR stowaway pot, and a sea to summit delta bowl, weighting (combined) 18.4 oz

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/79
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/co...y-pots/product
    Novice in All Things blog writer
    http://noviceallthings.blogspot.com

I have a GSI dualist, reasonably cheap and reasonably light. The two bowls and two cups are overkill for a party of three but they make the self contained system work for a party of 3 or 4. I like it for groups. My buddies loathe the bowl/cups.

That said, here's a few things to consider about the soloist.

i like fixed handles over pot lifters - which I always misplace - or GSI's thumb condom. YMMV.

the foon sux. Replace it with a Ti or polycarbonate utensil.

I'm not convinced of the utility of the neoprene sleeve. Assess for yourself.

For about twice the dollars you can buy an MSR Titan pot. 850 ml, folding handles, fits a small gas canister, and a small stove. This is my preferred solo pot, cup, and bowl. And it's lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by charliethruhike View Post
    Trying to lighten up my pack, and right now my eyes are on the Halulite Minimalist. Has anyone tried this cookset?

http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/...kware_cooksets
    I bought it and used it once, it was a pain to use without a handle, easy to get burned with hot water, it's now hanging in the basement and will probably never be used again unless I find someone to loan it to.

I have the the Minimalist. It's definitely a good setup up for the price. I actually just sprung for an Evernew pot, but if you're not looking to spend that much, this is the way to go.

Two caveats: the spork is bad. It will eventually break when you're digging in that Mountain House Chili Mac' N' Beef. Also, the fact that there are no handles makes it a little awkward when pouring your water out. With the pot holder that it comes with, you have to pour it away from your hand (if that makes sense) or else the steam will burn your hand.

I say go for a toaks 750ml titanium pot ($35) and a gsi outdoors infinity mug ($10) with the handle cut off, it is useless anyways. My GF uses this and it weighs 6.75 oz for both. Halulite pot is not fire safe supposedly. For 1 more oz you get a dedicated separate insulated mug that fits inside pot and a pot that can be used on wood fire if needed. I too owned the minimalist and pawned it off on a friend for his starter gear. The spork is useless. I now use snowpeak 900 with 4 dog lid and the gsi infinity mug. If I had to do it all over I would go with this setup because it is cheap$$, light weight, quality, and functional. Also get a Finum Brewing Basket if you like coffee. It is the exact same thing as the msr one but at a fraction of the cost. I mean EXACTLY the same. You can cut off one ear and it will drop right inside the infinity cup. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post
    I say go for a toaks 750ml titanium pot ($35) and a gsi outdoors infinity mug ($10) with the handle cut off, it is useless anyways. My GF uses this and it weighs 6.75 oz for both.
    Does this leave room to put a canister and stove inside the pot as well?
    Novice in All Things blog writer
    http://noviceallthings.blogspot.com

I've got the Minimalist. Played with it. I was surprised how heavy it was given its size. I'll probably end up donating it to my Scout Troop for them to reward it to someone as a prize.

My go-to cookpot is the Evernew 900ml pot. http://www.evernewamerica.com/ECA252.htm Very light. I own many different pots. I always seem to go back to this one as my solo pot. I also use a home-made pot cozy made of reflectrix.

For my bowl, I use an empty 'I Can't Believe Its Butter' tub. Fits perfectly inside the pot (the lid will also fit if you invert the lid under the tub). I think the tub & lid weighs 0.8 oz.

For my cup, I use the Sea to Summit X-Mug. Weighs 2.2 oz. Not the lightest option. But, very compact. My spoon is a standard length lexan spoon. Both the mug & the spoon fit on top of my pot cozy & my over-size Z-packs pot stuff sack (sized for the 1.3L Evernew pot) encases the entire kit.

Typically, I place my Snow Peak canister stove inside the kit as well. Along w/ a lighter & some spices (salt, pepper, Tabasco, etc).

There are lighter kit set-ups. I own some that are lighter. But, this set up seems to consistently work the best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by charliethruhike View Post
    Does this leave room to put a canister and stove inside the pot as well?
    In a 750 toaks you can fit a small canister and stove but not with coffee cup. A small stove will fit in mug though so you could have pot,mug,stove. I dont think any can hold everything without sacrificing weight, size, or a real crappy cup design. I used to have a soloist but the cup was junk. The ergonomics of the wide cup and cheesy lid made for a balancing act to drink hot liquids.

I have the minimalist but haven't trail tested it yet. I nest a jetboil fuel canister and my msr micro rocket in it along with the piezo lighter and the silicon pot grabber it comes with. I also have the soloist which I have trail run. I love the soloist because of the handle... But it is a good but bigger than the minimalist. Overall however, I love GSI products. It's not the lightest but definitely has a great set of features to give for a small offering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the Halulite Minimalist.

I've used it probably 70 days since 2012.

PROS:
    Price
    Indestructible (I burnt a hole in a previous very, very thin pot with my pocket rocket).
    easy to clean
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the neoprene pot cozy. Most likely the number one reason I keep using it. Plus, I already own it.
    I like the pot grabber (although you can ditch it if you are a multi use bandana person).
    The lid/sippy top with the pot cozy keeps coffee very, very hot. Awesome in cold weather.
    I like that it is both a pot and a cup. This is the only thing I bring.
    It works with the SnowPeak "hot lips", if you want to leave the "heavy" lid at home.

Stuff I'm conflicted about:
    Lid:
    The seal around the lid can be sort of a PITA to clean. The seal comes off, so it isn't THAT bad. But it bugs me and I don't want to get sick because some food is stuck in a nook or cranny in the lid.

Lid/sippy top weighs about 1.5 oz. Sometimes I bring it, if it is more of a "camping" trip with lots of time sitting around drinking coffee. Most of the time, I just bring tinfoil and leave the lid at home.

Size:
    I've never done a thru hike and have never developed a big thru hiker appetite. The pot holds 2.5 cups of water. I don't think that you can make a full box of Kraft mac and cheese in this pot. I think you'd have boiling over issues. I've made 1/2 to 3/4 of a box, but have never attempted a full box. If I had to resupply and buy mac and cheese, and I was going to be eating a full box of mac and cheese, I think I might be looking for a larger pot. But maybe, I would just make this work. Don't know.

I can try and make a box of Kraft tomorrow.

Cons
    Spork is really cheap and broke first time I used it - like in my backyard.
    Last edited by DLP; 11-03-2014 at 22:37.

PS: Don't have individual weights for all this stuff, but the following weighs 8.63 oz

Halulite Minimalist pot
    Minimalist pot cozy (comes with pot)
    Minimalist pot lifter (comes with pot)
    Heavy duty tinfoil lid
    Small handkerchief
    lighter
    Hot Lips
    Pocket Rocket stove
    wind screen
    Stuff sack

I have the older model and have been using it for awhile now. The fork isn't that bad never broke on me yet. I use it to cook next to fires and works really good.i have my coffee from my hammock in the morning, which it excels at. You can make a whole pasta sides with tuna in it but it's a tight squeeze.the snow peak 900ml is probably the most popular but it's harder to clean out.

I like my Hallulite Minimalist for car camping at an established park, for example, a national park. I do not use the lid or hot lips. I use it with a canister stove.

It makes a handsome cookset.

I would rather backpack a JetBoil Zip, than the Hallulite Minimalist cookset I described.

That said, I also enjoy the GSI kettle for car camping at an established campsite at a park.

The fact is, the most lightweight cookset will have a small lightweight alcohol stove, matching pot, lid and windscreen. For my backpacking, I choose lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I like my Hallulite Minimalist for car camping at an established park, for example, a national park. I do not use the lid or hot lips. I use it with a canister stove.

It makes a handsome cookset.

I would rather backpack a JetBoil Zip, than the Hallulite Minimalist cookset I described.

That said, I also enjoy the GSI kettle for car camping at an established campsite at a park.

The fact is, the most lightweight cookset will have a small lightweight alcohol stove, matching pot, lid and windscreen. For my backpacking, I choose lightweight.
    I have seen a lot of folks speak highly of the kettlist. Seems like a really good option if you need larger water capacity.

I really like my Minimalist for my morning coffee in spite of it's extra weight. I also carry a Snowpeak ti pot for cooking. It's nice to be able to both eat and drink coffee at the same time. I've thought about dropping the Minimalist for a lighter plastic mug, but then I couldn't put it on my stove if I wanted to. At home, I find myself questioning the weight, but when I start packing, my Minimalist gets tossed in the pack every time.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Journal Entries

I have the Minimalist I use for drinking coffee AND put inside a Evernew 900 TI as a dutch oven and cook muffins. Watch video for ideas. I use Optimux Crux Lite stove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg9jMThiJeY
    Last edited by DeerPath; 11-05-2014 at 12:42.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

++ New Posts ++