WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Jam 50L backpack

I'm looking at upgrading my backpack, and the Jam 50L pack from GoLite has caught my attention. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Also would like to know of any place in New England where I could go and actually try a pack on, they only list places on the West Coast on their site.

http://www.golite.com/Jam-50L-Pack-Unisex-P46812.aspx

The bag I am upgrading from is the Osprey Talon 44. I love the pack, but there is a difference of 10 ounces, and GoLite has a pretty intriquing price on their website of $109.99.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...specifications
    Novice in All Things blog writer
    http://noviceallthings.blogspot.com

I've used a Jam for the past five years, and it's served me very well. The size L fits my torso well (21"), and my back has always been able to "breathe." The hip belt has always seemed a little too wide for me (I've a 32-inch waist), but after cutting excess inches off the belt, all was well. I've never found an easy way to stick a neatly rolled tent into the pack, but jamming it into the outside pocket does the job.

Overall, GoLite gear is well made. You'd be happy with the pack, IMO, if it fits. I find it odd to think there's no place near you that stocks them.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

I looked on their site, and they only list stores towards the western side of the country. I've looked in nearby outfitters but haven't found one yet. are there packs around the same size as others? I know my current osprey pack is a large, even though I measure up for a medium with their standards.
    Novice in All Things blog writer
    http://noviceallthings.blogspot.com

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I've loved my Jam and used it for the almost the entirety of the AT so far. It's tough, durable and light. Not as light as a Tyvek pack but it can tolerate 35 pounds without blowing out (though your shoulders will complain loudly). With 25 pounds or less it feels great. The pockets, straps, etc. are all intelligently laid out and have worked for me for 3 seasons of use. Of course, that doesn't mean it's perfect for you. I saw a lot of Jam's on the trail last week down between Fontana and Springer. If you can't find one in a store there might be another hiker nearby who has one you could try on.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

I've used a Jam for the past two years, including a 400 mile section hike. I like it for summer section hikes, but it's a bit small for my winter trips with a larger, heavier sleeping bag and more clothes. The new Jam 50 and 70 have load lifters, which I think are an improvement over the old model which I have (although they add weight). You can lighten the pack some by cutting off several too-long straps.

I've got one. It's okay, but I like other packs better. The GoLite has problems with back ventilation, thin shoulder straps, and inconveniently positioned side pockets. They're only about a hundred bucks, and you get what you pay for. There are far better packs out there, but if you're on a budget and don't care about comfort and ventilation, then go for it.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

I have one of the '0ld' Jams but it's 50L and the same thing as what they now call the 50L Jam. I like it and carry it in the truck, motorhome and anywhere else I go motoring. To me it's good for a couple of days on the trail carrying less than 25 lbs. For any hike longer than three day I prefer a pack with a frame and better suspension system. In August I'm flying to Alaska and the Jam will be my go to pack for a few short hikes.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I would suggest you look at ULA packs, I know that they're a bit more expensive, but it's totally worth the money for it. I have the Ohm 2.0, I can carry a full winter load, with the extension collar, and in the summer it's the perfect size. It's a comfortably pack, and worth a look IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought the jam50 yesterday, lighterweighting from my deuter 40+. Hiked 8 miles wth 20 lb. pack including 2 l water. I liked it. Fit in more than I initially thought it looked like it could fit. Side pockets were kinda stiff. I had to stop and release pack to retrieve my water. The front pouch is huge!!--more than what I'm used to. Seems like thinner material than what I'm used to in a pack so hope it holds up. So far, great, for half the weight of my former pack.

I used a GoLite Jam 50L for about 1500 trail miles. Then, happily made the switch to a ULA CDT pack. The ULA carries better for me w/ my neo pad and has a few additional features than the Jam. I wouldn't ever go back.

Images

Not sure how a Jam is an upgrade from a Talon 44, especially if the Talon fits well, but HYOH

++ New Posts ++