WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Patagonia Houdini vs the montbell tachyon anorak??

Looking for lt weight wind/rain shell for summer JMT thru and AT hikes...plan to bring emergency poncho for heavy rain over shell. Anyone tried either?....MB is a little lighter at 2.5oz vs 4oz....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned both, and the Houdini is a nice wind shirt, but I now use the Montbell Tachyon Anorak and love it. I take in on every hike, and really used it a lot on last years' LT end to end hike.

I just got the Houdini last week for my JMT thru and am impressed. I got to test it the other day at work during sunrise on Haleakala here on Maui (elevation 10,023') in gusty winds of 20-30mph, misty (wet from clouds but not really rain) and a temp in the upper 30's / low 40's not counting the wind chill. My normal attire would be a 100twt fleece 1/4 zip, a polartec 200 vest, and a TNF Hyvent rain jacket in those conditions. I spent a half hour standing around in just the 1/4 zip fleece and Houdini, and was plenty warm. I simply didn't feel the wind which normally cuts right thru, and the mist just beaded up and evaporated without wetting out.
    The one complaint I have is a minor sizing issue. At 6'2" and 240#, I really need a 2XL, but the largest Houdini is only XL. It is a little tight thru the chest for me, but not so much I can't live with it. Sleeve length and everything else was spot on, and I can still fit my fleece under it, so I am keeping it. If my chest was any bigger (47.5") it wouldn't work for me.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

For summer, the odds will be low to experience a heavy rain on the JMT. Go with the lighter option. My choice would be the more breathable option over a water resistant wind shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    I just got the Houdini last week for my JMT thru and am impressed. I got to test it the other day at work during sunrise on Haleakala here on Maui (elevation 10,023') in gusty winds of 20-30mph, misty (wet from clouds but not really rain) and a temp in the upper 30's / low 40's not counting the wind chill. My normal attire would be a 100twt fleece 1/4 zip, a polartec 200 vest, and a TNF Hyvent rain jacket in those conditions. I spent a half hour standing around in just the 1/4 zip fleece and Houdini, and was plenty warm. I simply didn't feel the wind which normally cuts right thru, and the mist just beaded up and evaporated without wetting out.
    The one complaint I have is a minor sizing issue. At 6'2" and 240#, I really need a 2XL, but the largest Houdini is only XL. It is a little tight thru the chest for me, but not so much I can't live with it. Sleeve length and everything else was spot on, and I can still fit my fleece under it, so I am keeping it. If my chest was any bigger (47.5") it wouldn't work for me.
    I have a Houdini 2XL, but it is likely a 2010 or 2011 version. I don't know if they still make them.

Images

I have used the MB for over 1500 miles in the past two years, and... won't leave home without it. Can't beat the weight, stows and you don't even know it's there. I use it for wind, and chilly mornings and evenings. It will shed light rain, but not long. It is a specific use piece, and IMOA works well.

Thx...sold on it

Journal Entries

Last yr the houdini changed to a much less breathable fabric. It is no longer the much-loved windshirt it was a couple years ago!

The montbell tachyon is one of the most breathable out there not. Especially the jacket, which has mesh panels under the arms.
    I have a current yr anorak, it is lighter than the montbell specs. 2.07 oz in Large, and quite large really. No problem going over my exlight.

Used the montbell in conjunction with thin UL baselayer top , and exlight on the AT the last 4 days or so. A couple of cold mornings one cold evening, and one day of 45F drizzle. Worked ok. Not nearly as breathable as Id like for strenuous uphills even in 45F weather, but nothing is.

Thx...I'm keeping my eyes open for a sale on the tachyon anorak....

++ New Posts ++