WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What would make them take the mileage out of the end to Enders guide? Glad I got my old one with it still there...

Hiking the AT/LT this summer myself, love the LT, not sure my body does. Have a great hike!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I'm planning on doing my e2e nobo hike starting around 7-6 or 7-7 maybe we'll run into eachother.

I e2e'd the LT last year from June 25 to July 21. The first ten days (June) it never stopped raining. All of July was great weather. Rained at night a few times but days were beautiful.

I concur all who said the Inn at the Long Trail is a must stop. The Green Mountain House Hiker Hostel is another must.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    I think the new Winooski River LT bridge will divert the trail a little east of the roadwalk bridge xing, where the trail goes thru Jonesville, where the Post Office is located. Not sure if that new suspension bridge will be finished in time for this summer. July should be a good month to hike the LT, a lot warmer than September that's for sure!
    When the new bridge is complete the trail will miss Jonesville, but will be that much closer to Bolton (I'll measure it next time I drive by) , which has a small store with a deli, but no P.O.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by punkin pie View Post
    I'm planning on doing my e2e nobo hike starting around 7-6 or 7-7 maybe we'll run into eachother.
    We're starting a few days ahead of you, but we're not fast hikers so we'll keep an eye in our rear view mirrors for when you pass us
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Big Cranky, have a great hike.

Forgive me, I did not read the entire thread. In July the temperature swings can be large, from high 40's up north at night to mid 80's during the day. Rain is common in the afternoon, while 4-5 day rains are not the norm like they are in May/June. A warm fleece or light thinsulate jacket is really nice in the evening. Manchester, is really nice as are Bennington, Burlington and Stowe. After your hike on the way home a detour to either the ME coast, Arcadia NP (Bar Harbor), Cape Cod National Seashore or the Adirondaks in NY via the ferry from Burlington VT are worth it. The Berkshires of MA are really at the height of the season with concerts, theater etc. as well. If you need help on the southern end, PM me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The End to Ender's Guide does a good job identifying hiker services...but in the latest edition they took out all the mileage data. So if you like that kind of info you will need the Long Trail Guide or the Long Trail Map (nicely done) may suffice.
    I discovered this for myself when I got the E2E guide. I emailed the GMC to ask if there is any sort of databook, especially an electronic version, and there is not. So I have been spending my evenings making my own, using a combination of the Companion and the AT Guide for the southern portion, and the Long Trail Guide and the map for the rest. Then I am adding information from the E2E guide and from all the wonderful emails from the LT mentors that the GMC sent me, plus info from this thread and others. When I'm done, I'll have the equivalent of the data pages from the Companion, except for the whole LT, which I find very useful while actually on the trail. It should easily print on a single letter-size page, front and back, and still be legible (with my strongest reading glasses, anyway.)

So thanks to everyone for all the helpful information. I really appreciate it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Enjoy your hike, Vermont is a great state with really great people in it. The AT/LT in Vermont is a hard trail in that it has mud, roots and many puds, but otherwise, I've always loved hiking in Vermont and will be hiking it this summer as well.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

If we get to Manchester Center and the Green Mountain House is full, is there a recommended place to stay in town? This would be around July 8 or 9. Sutton's Place looks interesting. Any others? We don't need fancy, but would like something a little nicer than the super low end motels.

Also, for the GMH, it's not walking distance to town, right? We'd need to do all our resupply first?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Also, for the GMH, it's not walking distance to town, right? We'd need to do all our resupply first?
    If you're staying at the Green Mountain House then you would get to town, do your town chores, then give Jeff a call and he'll come pick you up.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

I'm planning to hit the trail for my second e2e in mid-July. Hopefully I'll see some of you out there!

Images

If you're going southbound, we'll likely see you up north. If northbound, you'll probably pass us right before the border.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Heading North, camped near William Douglas shelter tonight. Hope to run into some folks.

I've stayed at Sutton's Place on three LT hikes, and IMO it is the best place to stay in Manchester Ctr. You should call and reserve a room, sometimes Frank gets booked up on busy weekends, and for special events in town. Very hiker friendly and within walking distance of everything in town. There are also some motels just outside town on VT 11/30.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    If we get to Manchester Center and the Green Mountain House is full, is there a recommended place to stay in town? This would be around July 8 or 9. Sutton's Place looks interesting. Any others? We don't need fancy, but would like something a little nicer than the super low end motels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++