WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default The beauty of wearing used high quality hat while hiking.

Don't call me judgmental please.

I am not here to lecture about the good or evil of wearing a brand new hat on a hike. I am trying to say it is a matchless opportunity to wear an used semi broken good quality hat like Tilley Endurable hat because it can show you the way you are in a glance to any other hiker or even animal.

If I am an animal , I think I like to trust to a hiker with a broken high quality hat more than a brand new hat hiker. Nothing against the brand new hat guys and gals on the trails.It just is the way it is. Animals around here are reacting like that.

A used semi broken but not torn high quality hat brakes according to the personality of the user of the hat and is an accurate reflection of the owner. It is the owner's manual if you wish. If you have nothing to hide about your personality then let your hat speaks about you when you are silently hiking and meet another hiker.

What do you think?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Hmm.

My headgear on trail varies:
    • Bandana
    • Baseball cap from a discount store, now a couple of years old, faded, stained, scuffed and generally battered. With or without a bandana done up Foreign Legion fashion. Neither text nor logos on the cap. The cap was once blue.
    • No-name sort-of-vaguely-Tilley-style sun hat. Layered with a bug net in blackfly season. If you think that's ridiculous, you haven't been to upstate New York in blackfly season.
    • A broad-brimmed black fedora, in crushable felt. It's a Dorfman Pacific, if I recall correctly. Again, much the worse for wear. One of these years I might replace it. I resent the fact that they doubled the price when they started putting the Indiana Jones name on it. I'm certain that I had my first one at least five years before Raiders came out.
    • A blaze orange Carhartt beanie, with a stain or two and a couple of snags from wearing it on bushwhacks.
    • A black fleece balaclava, possibly layered with the above beanie. I wish that I still had my shapka ushanka - that thing was warm! Alas, I lived for a few years in a hot climate. When I got it out of storage when I moved back to a place that has a winter, I found that silverfish had got into it. No way can I afford a new one. (I got it at a thrift store that either didn't know what it was or didn't think any of their customers would pay nearly what it was worth. The fur wasn't identified, but was something in the marten family. Fisher? Sable? Luxurious, anyway.)

I don't know what any of the above might say about me.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Whenever I wear my old floppy, sun-bleached hat most dogs bark at me.
    Simple is good.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Love me my surplus boonie hat. In OD green!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Love me my surplus boonie hat. In OD green!
    Same here.

Journal Entries
    Images

hogan1.jpg not sure how to respond mate.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Shameless plug!

20140422_222311.jpg
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I liked your response mate.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Whenever I wear my old floppy, sun-bleached hat most dogs bark at me.
    And possibly wildlife avoid you not knowing or sighting them.

I have a habit of losing my favorite hats (bummer). But it is one piece of gear I am more likely to get emotionally attached to. I pretty much wear a hat everyday and my favorite changes from time to time. These days I'm sporting a baseball cap from NYU-Abu Dhabi. It was a gift from a friend who goes there. I have Tilly, but it's a wide-brimmed canvas model so it's a bit heavy for hiking (good for car camping in cool weather though). I had a great kangaroo leather Barmah Hat but lost it last fall. Kangaroo leather is amazing - very soft and flexible. I also have a nice Stetson Revenger. Well it used to be nice. It's old and beat up now. I inherited it from my dad. Year ago I had a nice Irish Tweed hat from Donegal. In the past I've had some straw Fedoras that I really liked, but they wore out. I think that is what I will get next.

http://www.barmahhatsusa.com/index.p...9#.U1cm6eIvlH4

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...3/e745c7bd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post

I am not here to lecture about the good or evil of wearing a brand new hat on a hike. I am trying to say it is a matchless opportunity to wear an used semi broken good quality hat like Tilley Endurable hat because it can show you the way you are in a glance to any other hiker or even animal.

If I am an animal , I think I like to trust to a hiker with a broken high quality hat more than a brand new hat hiker. Nothing against the brand new hat guys and gals on the trails.It just is the way it is. Animals around here are reacting like that.

A used semi broken but not torn high quality hat brakes according to the personality of the user of the hat and is an accurate reflection of the owner. It is the owner's manual if you wish. If you have nothing to hide about your personality then let your hat speaks about you when you are silently hiking and meet another hiker.

What do you think?
    Animals respond according to instinct and response to stimuli. That new hat probably reaks of the chemicals used in making it.

As far as people, quit worrying about it. If you want a new hat wear it. It none of your business what other people think of you. You're out for a hike, not to make fashion statements.

You can have my girl, but don't touch my hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U_L5Z3JZMU

Images

I wear a ball cap I got at the Grand Canyon over 10 years ago. It's been on my head for every trail step in the last 10 years. It's getting worn and tattered, but I'll wear it until it turns to dust.

What do you think?
    A used hat starts out as a new hat--unless you buy a "distressed" hat, which is just plain silly. I think your views are silly for that reason.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

What do you think?
    wth?........
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    A used hat starts out as a new hat--unless you buy a "distressed" hat, which is just plain silly. I think your views are silly for that reason.
    In my experince a broken hat is almost like a broken shoes. It is more comfortable and less prone to any discomfort that sometimes comes from using a brand new item at the beginning of a trail but that was not my original intention in OP. If my comment sounds silly to you , I have no intention to change your view. You are entitled to your view either right or wrong, rude or polite.

The last remaining bit of my 1990 outfit that's still in regular use (on and off trail) is my black and blue Seattle Sombrero. I'd be sad if I lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    "You call that a hat? This is a hat.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Only recently have hats agreed to stay with me for a while. Prior hats have jumped off mountains, dug themselves into the dirt, and leapt out of speeding cars. Some manage to vanish without a trace.

But the two who stick it out may find themselves abandoned soon for my hair is so long now that the hats don't fit! Imagine that!
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Only recently have hats agreed to stay with me for a while. Prior hats have jumped off mountains, dug themselves into the dirt, and leapt out of speeding cars. Some manage to vanish without a trace.

But the two who stick it out may find themselves abandoned soon for my hair is so long now that the hats don't fit! Imagine that!
    In my experience the most common found item on trails has been hats and caps which means it is also the most common lost item.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++