WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default BA Fly Creek UL1 tent - 2014 version

After doing some online research, I saw that the Big Agnes website was advertising the new updated 2014 Fly Creek UL1 and UL2 tents were a bit lighter. So I called the BA customer service shop to ask some questions on where they shaved the weight from the older versions, (which were pretty good as they were). I just received my new UL1, and after looking it over I can see where the savings were achieved. The 2014 version of the UL1 is approx. 3 to 4 oz. lighter, (trail weight 1 lb - 11 oz). The UL2 accomplished similar weight savings. The ounces shaved were primarily achieved with a lighter pole set material, and lighter weight guylines. The new poleset has the same design, but does appear to be a lighter weight aluminum. I also substitute a set of Vargo Titanium stakes for the aluminum stakes that come with the tent, to save a couple ounces. I weighed the complete new UL1 tent, guylines, poles, and my Titanium stakes, and the total weight came in at 1 lb. - 14 oz. This will likely be my go-to solo tent for most backpacking trips in the future, unless I can get by with my MLD cuben tarp on some trips. Check out the new BA UL1 and UL2 if you're shopping for a tent. (I'm not a salesman either!)

Give me back those ounces in a beefier zipper! I've had 3 and they all had zipper failures. Besides that they are great tents. Thanks for sharing!

Here's a view of the new UL1 Tent, they also changed the guyline tensioners to Line-LOKs .... but as far as I can tell, the tent zippers are the same!

IMG_6056.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Copper Spur was also update this year to be a little lighter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeerd View Post
    Give me back those ounces in a beefier zipper! I've had 3 and they all had zipper failures. Besides that they are great tents. Thanks for sharing!

did big agnes replace the tent after the zipper failures?

My wife and I used the Big Agnes UL fly creek 3 on our first hike. Loved it. No zipper problems yet. We went thru rain the entire first night, had water standing under the tent. Not a drop inside. Some carbon fiber poles would be awesome though.

++ New Posts ++