WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default words of encouragement

So tonight I took my dog to the park and we only walked a mile and a half. I just wasn't feeling it and kinda bummed bc I'm heading out for 30 miles on at the AT this weekend. When I got home I has to remind myself that it's ok to have those off blah days. It's just about going 1 more step, 1 more corner, 1 more mile, 1 more day and no matter how far you end up going,you went and did it.

It's easy to put off going for a long walk - there is always something else to do. Like doing laundry, cleaning house, going grocery shopping, watching TV, wasting time on on the internet forums. But when ever I do finally get around to going out for a long walk, I'm sure glad I did when I get back from it. Be it a couple of miles or a couple of hunderd.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

I like to focus on the prize: after a short 20-mile section this last weekend (our first of the season), I had some sore muscles and joints, especially going up or down the stairs. But by the third day, the soreness was gone, and as I went up the stairs, I was rewarded with the sensation of iron in my calves. I'm still smiling, (and maybe bragging a little).

When you are old and physically unable to walk, maybe even to the bathroom, you will be very sorry you didn't go on that long walk. I saw an advertisement once on the back cover of a magazine: "Never ever stop moving". I'd like that put on my headstone.

Quote Originally Posted by One More View Post
    So tonight I took my dog to the park and we only walked a mile and a half. I just wasn't feeling it and kinda bummed bc I'm heading out for 30 miles on at the AT this weekend. When I got home I has to remind myself that it's ok to have those off blah days. It's just about going 1 more step, 1 more corner, 1 more mile, 1 more day and no matter how far you end up going,you went and did it.
    You are fine, One More. Just keep moving. When you get on the trail, just take your time and enjoy every sight and sound. Welcome to WB... nice to have you here!

I know this doesn't apply to you but I always tell my out of shape friends who want to start exercising that anything is better than nothing. A lot of the time the hardest thing for me is to get that first 5 or 10 minutes in. I'm training for a PCT hike and there are days when I just have to shut it down. Once you get on the trail your focus will change and you'll be fine.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

A quote I particularly relate to: "I spent a terribly long portion of my life walking before I discovered hiking." (Frank Lee Ruggles, former NPS photographer).

Personally, I don't really enjoy walking all that much. Don't like walking around my neighborhood, in parks, on the treadmill. It's boring as could be. Hiking is a completely different story though. I look forward to every one of my hikes/backpacks with the anticipation of a kid on Christmas morning....but I dread even the thought of a boring walk.

Images

I can't compare hiking to walking. I don't like walking around the neighborhood or anything. I do the treadmill, maybe 2 miles every other day, but I watch a movie on the ipad while I'm doing it. Hiking is different. I did 36 miles over a three day weekend. It was tough, but I handled it. Hiking offers the chance to see new things and challenge the body. A mile walk around the neighborhood is just dull, just houses and dogs that owners don't know how to keep fenced in.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    I look forward to every one of my hikes/backpacks with the anticipation of a kid on Christmas morning....but I dread even the thought of a boring walk.
    On the two-hour drive to the trailhead for our recent weekend hike, I was singin' about everything: the tree or the creek or the buildings beside the road, the traffic, the clouds, the leaves, the hills, dips, and curves of the road - all of it nonsense of course. Didn't realize it at first, but the anticipation of our hike is what put me in a GREAT mood.

Sometimes, we see what God puts in front of us. Recently I've developed a neurological nerve condition, and now walk on a cane, not well. I've shouldered a great deal medically, coped by going off on the trail. The thought of losing that escape, that relief... that scares me.

Better everyday. And my encouragement?

I will walk the Roan Highlands again. I have to believe that to my bones

My son recently had a touch of the profound. i loved it.

Man I just want a beer, My dog and my guitar. A good joint and a girls head on my chest to watch the clouds over the hills

++ New Posts ++