WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Continuous Ridgeline

Hello everyone,

As I stated in the neoair thread, I'm new to hammock life. I've got a Grand Trunk Nano7, and I already had their tree slings (5 oz) from my other double GT hammock I take for the GF and I to relax in. I'll be taking the Nano7 on my solo trips. My question is am I crazy to order Zline and mini carabiners with line locks fro Joe at Zpacks for my tarp ridgeline and run the goofy heavy GT straps for suspension? Also, does anyone have any experience tying a prussic knot with the zline? Thanks!

Images

am I crazy
    yes but we are all a little bit crazy.

What you are going thru is normal. As you get new gear and use it, you learn about lighter weight easier to use items and upgrade as funds permit.

In the meantime, work with what you have and HYOK and have fun
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanO20 View Post
    Hello everyone,

As I stated in the neoair thread, I'm new to hammock life. I've got a Grand Trunk Nano7, and I already had their tree slings (5 oz) from my other double GT hammock I take for the GF and I to relax in. I'll be taking the Nano7 on my solo trips. My question is am I crazy to order Zline and mini carabiners with line locks fro Joe at Zpacks for my tarp ridgeline and run the goofy heavy GT straps for suspension? Also, does anyone have any experience tying a prussic knot with the zline? Thanks!

I used prussic knots on zline on a trip last year, but I had problems with the knots not holding, causing my tarp to sag towards the middle of the ridgeline. I like the zline, so I just cut it and stopped using the continuous ridgeline rather than going back to my old line. I liked the continuous line because I hung my clothes from it at night, but I can still do that using the ridgeline in my WBBB. I really don't miss the continuous line. I also have the line locs, and love them. They weigh virtually nothing and are super easy to adjust.
    -tagg

I have a ridgeline made from 2.2mm Zing-it that I carry with me and use sometimes. Like if I setup in the rain, or a long span between trees, it is nice to be able to slide the prussics back and forth to get my tarp centered. But I don't bother with it if I have a short distance between trees. Prussics hold fine with 2.2mm. IMO, a ridgeline should be used outside of the tarp to keep the silicon-coated nylon from abrading in the wind, and the rain from rubbing through.

In the past I used 250lb test Spectra fishing line for my tarp lines, but it is too small for fancy knots. Now I pretty much use ZingIt for everything.

Images

Most times prussic knots with 3 wraps will not hold on Zing It or Lash It ( Same line just different color). Just wrap the prussic 5 times and make to sure to keep it from getting tangling on its self and you will be good.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I find that the klemheist works better than a prussic on slick line like Zing It/Lash It.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

++ New Posts ++