WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Tent vs Hammock vs Bivy vs Tarp Tent

A question about shelter systems. I hear a lot about tarp tents, hammocks, etc. What's the big deal? What is the major draw to using anything other than a traditional lightweight tent, EXCEPT for the weight that you save?

I'm pretty dead set on continuing to use a tent (I like having 4 walls, being able to sit up, keep things inside & dry, and having some kind of material between me & the outside), but still want to know why the other shelter systems are so popular?

Each has certian advanatages and disadvantages depending on the situation, with weight being one of the considerations.

A tarp can be the lightest option, but it only protects you from rain (and marginally so unless it's pretty big). Tarps are usefull for emergency shelter where frequent rain and bugs are not a factor.

A bivy can also be light weight and is a little better than just a tarp as your fully enclosed and usually includes bug protection. Since a bivy sack takes up no more space then your sleeping bag, they are suitable to be used in shelters for additional warmth or protection from bugs or wind blown rain. The main disadvatage is you can't get inside and change clothes unless your double jointed. Getting in and out while it's raining is also a big issue, so you need a tarp to go over it if your on a rainy trail like the AT can be.

A hammock has the advanatage in that it can be used anywhere there are trees, regardless of what the terrain is below you. You can set up on a steep hill or over rocks or branches or very wet ground. Some people think thier more comfortable then sleeping on the ground. The disadvanatge is you need two sturdy trees about 10 feet apart and nothing to speak of growing in between them. The other down side is the weight and complexity of the set up, since it also need a tarp over it and some kind of insulation under it.

Personally, having tried all of the above in different forms and situations, I've settled on just using a nice tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

They are all shelters. A traditional freestanding dome tent is just the most complex and therefore heaviest form of shelter.

All other forms of shelters are basically your dome tent minus a certain feature or two usually in exchange for a weight savings, and/or a smaller footprint.

For example, something like a Big Agnes Fly Creek isn't exactly free-standing because the rear corners need to be staked out. Because of this, there are fewer tent poles and therefore a weight savings.

Something like a Tarptent Stratospire takes that idea to the next level by completely jettisoning tent poles in favor of requiring your trekking poles (which you'll presumably be carrying, anyways) for support. All 6 corners are required to be staked out for the shelter to be taut. The result is weight savings.

Something like a zpacks hexamid goes to the next level by replacing the stand-alone mesh liner and attaching perimeter mesh directly to the tent fly (or tarp) itself. At the bottom is your traditional bathtub floor. We call this arrangement a tarp tent (not to be confused with the Tarptent brand) because it is essentially a tarp with the inner tent attached to it. It is a single wall shelter. The downside to this weight saving design is condensation, caused by your breath while sleeping, can now accumulate on the fly and, perhaps drip directly on you during the night (or be knocked onto you by rain or wind). However, in arid climates this is hardly an issue and even in moist climates (like the AT), it can still be mitigated with some care. But not everyone can be bothered to care. Usually with tarptents, the sides of the solid tarp can be pitched higher to allow more air movement to lessen condensation, but they have to be pitched lower to protect against windblown (sideways) rain and splashing.

The next feature to remove for the sake of weight savings is the perimeter netting and the floor. "Bugs aren't out all the time", they say, so they replace the tent floor with a groundsheet and skip the netting. When the bug are out, they might bring a bug bivy, which is like an inner net tent from our first few offerings, but much smaller (and therefore lighter)--just big enough for someone to shimmy into inside their bag. You can't sit up in a bivy, and depending on the design, it may just lay on your face while you sleep, although most cli-up to your tarp somewhere. The resulting external shelter is called a shaped tarp, like the new Deschutes tarp by Six Moon Designs. It's just a tarp--nothing fancy like a tarptent, but it does come down around the occupant(s) on all sides providing some protection against windblown rain.

A particular favorite shaped tarp design is the "Mid" or pyramid shaped tarp. These are popular because the geometry gives a lot of space for relatively little walls (lightness cometh) and is great at shedding wind and snow. The downside is the trekking pole comes right down in the middle of the shelter. Solo hikers sleep on one side and use the other as a vestibule, typically. And cuddling for couples becomes a fun game of don't knock down the shelter!

Another, simpler (aka lighter--have you figured this out yet?), take on the shaped tarp is something like the Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstars which ditches pretentious notions like zippered doors.

And finally we get to our flat tarps. Flat tarps are fun because an experienced user can pitch them multiple different ways, which bestows that user super high nerd points. Ever seen an arcade game where every top ten highscore is the same name? That's the kind of nerd points we are talking about.
    What stinks about flat tarps is the spray factor. Windblown rain and splashy rain can get you bag rather wet, so often in rainy weather, tarp users prefer to bring along a bivy. This might be kinda like the big bivy we talked about earlier but it more solid and less "netty". Some bivies might have net over the face portion, some might not. The point is that bivy+ tarp is versatile and allows a user to carry the minimum weight possible.

I think that about covers it. oh wait you asked about hammocks--Hammocks can be like any if the above shelters except they hang from trees to keep the users safe from bears. I think that covers it then.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

I continue to use my hammock because I get much better sleep in it, and I wake up less sore. It's just much more comfortable.
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

Images

Snake covered it pretty well. Some thoughts:

A tarp-tent is just a tent, with four walls, doors, bug netting, etc. it's usually single wall (no separate inside tent), and the walls are usually mesh, not solid nylon. It's basically the offspring of a tarp mated with some bug netting and a floor. The Tarptent brand is a good one, but there are several other high quality tarp-tent makers like Six Moons Designs and Lightheart.

A hammock is a very comfortable way to sleep for many hikers. Love my hammock. It's basically an elevated flat tarp setup. Pitch the tarp between two trees, then hang the hammock underneath. Some hammocks have bug netting and doors and all. Downsides include requiring some sort of insulation underneath in cool weather. Also, most hammock setups are actually heavier than a Tarptent setup.

Depending on what you are are using now, a single wall tarp-tent like shelter could save a fair amount of weight. The Tarptent Notch is less than 30 ounces, and the Zpacks solo shelters are all well under a pound. These have all the things you like in your tent. The only real difference may be that they have more ventilation with the all-mesh walls. This is a blessing in hot weather and not so much in very cold weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl View Post
    I continue to use my hammock because I get much better sleep in it, and I wake up less sore. It's just much more comfortable.
    +1 and I like the huge amount of space under my tarp

Images

It's another personal choice: what works best for YOU. I love my Clark jungle hammock, I just can't get used to rolling out in 25* blowing rain and sleet, trying to get dressed and keeping dry at the same time. I slept great, but went back to my tent.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    It's another personal choice: what works best for YOU. I love my Clark jungle hammock, I just can't get used to rolling out in 25* blowing rain and sleet, trying to get dressed and keeping dry at the same time. I slept great, but went back to my tent.
    I can only imagine that you were either using no tarp at all or a very minimal one. I've seen some people try to get away with something smaller than I'd like to use for a bath sheet and then wonder why they're having problems. If 1.1 oz sil is too heavy for you, then take a look at cuben or the new argon fabric.

A tarp sufficiently large to give your hammock good coverage will also be large enough for you to get dressed, pack up, cook breakfast and stay dry at the same time.

Images

Hey, Old Boot !!!

No, I was using the extra-large that came with the hammock, or at least waaaaay back then. Just looked at the Clark web site and the tarp has changed, with curves. Size nowadays is 96" x 127.5 ". Down here in FL, most of the rain is either straight down and heavy or blows just a bit. Either way, not too cold.

I may still look at a larger, lighter one. Saw either Skunk-Ape or Lee-Bob in 2012 with a HAAAAA-UGE hammock tarp that was fairly light.
    Last edited by Old Hiker; 04-25-2014 at 10:49. Reason: Found sizing of rain fly
    Old Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    A question about shelter systems. I hear a lot about tarp tents, hammocks, etc. What's the big deal? What is the major draw to using anything other than a traditional lightweight tent, EXCEPT for the weight that you save?

I'm pretty dead set on continuing to use a tent (I like having 4 walls, being able to sit up, keep things inside & dry, and having some kind of material between me & the outside), but still want to know why the other shelter systems are so popular?
    A hammock is more comfortable than any tent without cots--this 48 yr old back doesn't like tree roots and the hard ground. To me a hammock with a tarp is the driest solution of the three, unless the rain driven wind is honking at 25 or 30 mph (in which case, I've chosen the wrong spot to camp). Backpacking size tents are very claustrophic to me, and don't delude yourself, the material is no protection against anything outside except the elements.

I honestly can't imagine using a bivy or tarp, maybe a tarp-tent, but it would have to verge on being a tent.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Backpacking size tents are very claustrophic to me
    And a Hammock isn't? Between the bottom wrapped around me and the netting and tarp closely overhead, I find hammocks more claustrophobic than a tent. Once your bundled up inside a hammock, it's a lot harder to see outside then when in a tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    And a Hammock isn't? Between the bottom wrapped around me and the netting and tarp closely overhead, I find hammocks more claustrophobic than a tent. Once your bundled up inside a hammock, it's a lot harder to see outside then when in a tent.
    Sometimes it's better NOT to see what's gonna eat you.

I put my elderly, closed cell pad in the bottom of mine to spread it out. (Or was that my elderly bottom on a closed cell pad in mine ???) It's old, so it's wider than anything I've seen these days. Spreads out the sides pretty well and has given me cold protection down to about 20*, measured.
    Old Hiker

Images

That is if you are using a gathered end hammock (which, granted most folks do), and exactly one of the big reasons I went with the bridge hammock. With a bridge I get to lay rather flat and not have everything wrap right up around me, while also keeping the underquilt, narrow and lightweight.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I have a 12x12 tarp, and it's usually about 3 feet over eye level in the hammock.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Choice of shelter is dependent upon prevailing weather and terrain. What works in the heavily forested, relatively wet eastern half of North America may be nearly useless in places like Big Bend N.P. or above treeline.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

I appreciate the comments. I know the differences between the systems- I was pretty much asking what advantages one has over the other. I saw a few hammock systems that weigh just as much as tents, so I guess it's a matter of whether you want to lay on the ground OR hang. Add a quilt and sleeping pad and tarp & you have a 5 lb system. I will most likely try a hammock just to say I did, as long as I'm saving SOME kind of weight. I think I'd have to get some kicka** sleep to justify going hammock only.

I am switching to a lighter sleeping pad, so I know my tent sleeping won't be as comfy, but there's something to be said for being able to do stuff in a tent you can't in any other system, like change clothes, wash yourself (I'd rather spare everyone the spectacle of personal hygiene).

To me, the choice is to go tent and maybe try hammock.

Images

I get some kicka** sleep in my hammock. For solo hiking in the summer it's worth the extra weight, by far. YMMV.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Wait until it's warm enough out, then buy a $20 hammock and sleep out in it a couple nights to get used to it. This is the cheapest way to try it out before you start going out and buying under quilts, etc.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

In every discussion like this people invariably always say but with a hammock you have to have insulation under you to keep from getting cold. How many of you sleep in a tent directly on the ground without a pad under you? Same difference. You will freeze your but off in a tent on the ground in cold weather without insulation under you and be damned uncomfortable to boot.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post

I love my hammock. If I went to ground I would probably wind up with a shires TarpTent contrail, which is a simple tent with a bathtub floor and a mosquito net built in.
    Hammock pros: Not on the ground. Wet ground, water pooling, light rain, level spots, rocks, roots, etc are never a problem. No worries about sleeping pad leaking air and flattening out.

Hammock cons: Need trees right distance (12-18 feet) - which are often also good tenting spots in improved campsites, need under quilt insulation

Hammock myths:
    Hammocks are lighter. Not always. My friend's contrail is lighter than my hennessy setup, and I still have to carry an extra tarp for the roof. Even my eno and tarp are bulkier than some single person tents, lighter, but bigger in the pack.
    You won't get wet. Tarp size is important. Under blowing rain, a good tent of the right size my protect you better (provided the water getting under said tent doesn't wet through the floor). My basic hennessy tarp just covers the hammock, while my big hex tarp provides lots of cover (at twice the weight, of course)
    Carry less stuff. Nope. Under quilt, top quilt, hammock, tarp, tree straps... about the same stuff as a tent (except your poles are already there)
    Faster setup. In summer, maybe. Throwing up a hammock, a tarp, and tossing in a sleeping bag is pretty simple. In winter, adding the under quilt extends the time. Ditto for bug nets. Rigging the tarp lines can be intensive too. Most of my tent friends - not all, just most - have about the same setup time, even laying out their tyvek and inflating the air mattress. My hiking partner with the contrail sets up incredibly fast.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++