Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: In Idyllwild

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default In Idyllwild

In Saied Valley, next stop: Ashland! Loving the PCT!

I am having the time of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Nice. How many people would you say are in front of you, based off the registers? I'm about to put a soda cache at an undisclosed location in the middle of Oregon and want to know how long I can wait, and maybe have some vague idea of how often I need to go up and check on it/restock it.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Best guesstimate based on talking to southbounders is between 65-90ish. Tons more behind me.

At Callahan's just outside Ashland. Hiked from Saied Valley to here in 2 days.

That's nuts how many people are that far forward at this time of year. Last year, I think the first thru-hiker in the register at the Oregon border was Whitney Houston, and he was there July 4 (His entry was, "It rains on Whitney Houston."). On August 1, 2012 I was day-hiking on the PCT near Mt. Thielsen and ran into a NOBO who said he was the 50th person to get into Oregon. So that was the margin for the front of the pack then, and now there might be a hundred people in Washington by August 1, let alone Mt. Thielsen 300 miles farther back. The times, they change.

Also, you must be hiking with Carrot? Every time I see her Facebook updates, she's in the same place you are.

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

I'm Leapfrogging carrot and twinkle - they'll be in Ashland today. I'm going to take at least 2 zeros here so I'll get behind again - I haven't had a day without hiking since Tahoe.

In crescent lake - glad I skipped shelter cove and came here instead. Easy hitch, good store, restaurant, and hotel - lined a ride to the trail in the morning within an hour of getting here. Can't believe this place is off the pct radar. Everyone went to ($$$$) shelter cove.

There is a neat trail not far from you - the North Umpqua River Trail. I've never done it but it's on my Oregon hiking radar. http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...egonoutdoors01

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    There is a neat trail not far from you - the North Umpqua River Trail. I've never done it but it's on my Oregon hiking radar. http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...egonoutdoors01
    I was car-camping on the North Umpqua this morning. Anything remotely close to or on that river indeed kicks ass. It's the most beautiful, dramatic and sparsely traveled river coming west out of the Cascades in Oregon. And there's a trail along the whole thing, and you can connect up to one of the best parts of the Oregon PCT (the Thielsen area) from it. Can't lose.

Well, I was hoping to say HI to you somewhere on OR Section E, but I'll be doing that section SOBO from July 29 - Aug 5, so it looks like you'll already be north of McKenzie Pass by then.

You're moving fast. Enjoy the Three Sisters area.

Godspeed, 10-K.

Crossed McKenzie pass today - am at Big Lake Youth Camp right now. Sorry we missed each other.

Nice shot of 10-K from Carrot's twitter feed. In jefferson park with mt hood in the distance.

At the Summit Inn at snoqualmie pass. Only 260 miles left!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    At the Summit Inn at snoqualmie pass. Only 260 miles left!
    You're flying. I looked at my journal from '08 (hard to believe it's been 6 years already) and I didn't get there until Sep 8. Absolutely gorgeous part of the trail coming up for you.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

From your earlier reports, I had assumed you'd finish around Labor Day. You are now obviously going to finish this month. Enjoy your last 2 weeks, as I thought the northern Cascades was the 2nd most scenic part of the trail after the JMT.

When I hiked in '09, I arrived at Snowqualmie Pass on Sept. 18. The resulting fall colors of the north Cascades was one of the highlights of my trip. Though I paid for that privilege with some cold temperatures and some snow at the very end. I was reading someone's journal from this year that was already worrying about fall arriving in the Cascades due to some weather they encountered near Timberline Lodge. They are a full month ahead of where I was when I hiked! The hiker's who finish this year are going to have a warped perspective of pace and where a hiker should be by what date compared to most years.

Just hiked into Stevens pass and am at the Dinsmores. The northern cascades are amazing.

Miner, I'm in the front of the pack - there are tons of hikers who will finish around the time you did.

Finished at 10:40 am yesterday! April 21 - august 20. Great time all the way!

Images

Awesome! Congratulations!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Saw your great finish photo. Good job!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Finished at 10:40 am yesterday! April 21 - august 20. Great time all the way!
    10K, what a great adventure. again. sooo happy for you.
    Lazarus

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++