WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Poncho tarps

Default Poncho tarps

I'm new to the ultralight/lightweight scene but I have many years of backpacking experience. I'm curious as to what The opinion is on poncho tarps as shelter/rain gear. It seems to be the best multi-purpose gear item out there and will shave loads off my pack. I'm curious about the ease of setup/space/how to make them work with a bug net. I'm currently looking at the sea to summit ones. Thank you

-Duke

Been there, done that. My opinion - the worst of both worlds. It makes for a poor shelter and for poor rain gear.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Would you recommend a regular tarp with another form of rain gear?

I would recommend a good tent and rain jacket.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

If you want to try a tarp, get an 8x10 foot silnylon flat tarp and some Spectra cord for guy outs. Use trees or hiking poles and learn to set up in several different ways in your yard. This will weigh about a pound, and pitched well will provide good protection against most weather. I've used one in heavy storms and even in a blizzard. The larger size is more forgiving of errors in pitching.

A poncho tarp sounds great -- it replaces three separate items and only weighs 12 ounces. I certainly thought so at one point. But it's very small for a tarp and quite unforgiving in bad weather. And ponchos are great as rain gear until the wind picks up and they blow all over the place and you get soaked. Basically, they can work pretty well, but you're going to get wet and have to know how to deal with that.

Now that we have a wide selection of sub-two-pound tent shelters with floors and netting, which are very protective and easy to pitch, I find my poncho tarp is a lot less appealing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bigcranky; 04-29-2014 at 11:42.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Looking to stick to a tarp setup as opposed to a tent. Save a bit of money. Setting up a tarp is no problem has I have done so before. But isnt an 8x10 a little overkill for a solo shelter? Wouldn't that be a little big a not be as efficient with heat retention?

For my style of weekend warmer weather hiking down south here, a poncho-tarp works great. At that time of year, I usually shelter hop, so setting it up in tarp mode is very rare for me. I consider it as an emergency shelter. I use a Sixmoondesigns bug bivy when I carry my MLD Pro Poncho. Works great in the shelters and when coupled with the poncho-tarp.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Duke93 View Post
    Looking to stick to a tarp setup as opposed to a tent. Save a bit of money. Setting up a tarp is no problem has I have done so before. But isnt an 8x10 a little overkill for a solo shelter? Wouldn't that be a little big a not be as efficient with heat retention?
    Heat retention? Fabric shelter? Not likely. Draft blocking? Maybe. Rain blocking is more important. If you think 8x10 is too big, try something smaller. Let us know how it works. In horizontal rain. Let us know how a smaller tarp protects you, your gear, and offers a sheltered place to cook.
    This is the Moss Heptawing. About the only thing smaller than 8x10 that provides decent shelter. Very aerodynamic. I'm not sure that I would trust it, or any tarp, in a wet gale.

sphinx28.jpg

I seem to be a minority of one. I happen to like a poncho for rain gear while backpacking. YMMV.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Make that two. I like a backpacker's poncho, too. One more barrier to keep the gear dry, and me as well. Also provides some ventilation when hiking, to keep you at least a bit cooler. Plus it's a smaller tarp to supplement my larger 8 x 10 tarp.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Duke93 View Post
    I guess it depends on where and when you hike. Out West, where it doesn't rain very often or for very long, cowboy camping is normal and a tiny tarp is likely sufficient. Here in the South, when it can rain for days on end, an 8x10 tarp isn't really overkill. I did cut mine down to 6x10 and pitch it in a half-pyramid style, and that works pretty well.

The only way to find out is to go do it. Experiment. Play around in the yard in bad weather and see what you think.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The only way to find out is to go do it. Experiment. Play around in the yard in bad weather and see what you think.
    There you go. The old ways worked then and still do.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    There you go. The old ways worked then and still do.
    Who are you calling "old"?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Gatewood cape. It is a good piece of gear. Kept me dry and warm last spring on the AT.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Who are you calling "old"?
    Certainly not you, sir. The old ways I am talking about predate both of us.
    Grinning.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the Gatewood cape. It is a good piece of gear. Kept me dry and warm last spring on the AT.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
    http://sixmoondesigns.com/raingear/GatewoodCape.html

A bit fancier than your basic poncho & more expensive. I think Mags said that he used one on his CDT hike. Worth looking into.

Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The old ways I am talking about predate both of us.
    Very true.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++