WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What state have you seen the MOST rattle snakes in?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

https://m.facebook.com/Bob1069/photo..._t=share_reply

Don't know if this will show up but a fellow hog hunting came across a rattle snake 9 FOOT LONG, 5 INCH HEAD, 2.5 INCHES FANGS!!! Holy mutant rattle snake!!
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I recall years ago it was fairly rare to see a rattlesnake in New England outside of a couple of protected den sites (one being in the Schaghticoke mountain area just off the AT). Lately it is becoming more common to see them along the AT out of NY state into Southern MA, especially on the Riga plateau on a summer morning. Could be climate change is creating a better environment for them to survive better in this area or the population has expanded and there are new den sites that allow more propagation. Fortunately these are timber rattlesnakes that are fairly non aggressive, but will give you a good scare if they rattle as you walk up on or next to them.

No, not climate change, they are part of that ecosystem, period http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/con.../rattlesn.html Some even extend to Southern Canada.

If, in fact, their population is increasing, it's probably for the same reason as many other animals, such as the bear, cougar and numerous others. We have become more mindful of preservation. It was a very common mindset when I was growning up to automatically kill things, like rattlesnakes, because they were seen as "dangerous" and a threat.

Fortunately, that mindset is changing.

Three of us were hiking the AT near Bulls Bridge, CT and came across this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvtW-0x2ltU (my son's YouTube page)

My 11 year old son was leading us by about 100 feet and came to an abrupt halt and said "I hear a strange buzz".

Did he ever!

I've only ever seen one rattlesnake on the trail. It was a baby snake on the trail in CT and not the usual PA locations.

1 at/in sunfish pond [DWG'] swimming along the edge by the AT [I must have scared/chased it because that water is real cold], 3 along the fire road by Rattlesnake swamp on the way to catfish fire tower. All in the fall, late September early October.

Saw one hiding in the rock wall, by the furnace near the AT museum in PA a few weeks back.

RUNT ''13''

Personally I just give them a wide birth if I see them and would be happy not to see a rattler while I'm in the USA. But being Australian, snakes don't bother me, most get out of your way and if they don't you go around them. The rattler is a long way down the list of venomous snakes so I'm not particularly worried about them.

There are lots of different list for which snakes are the most venomous and a lot depends on how much venom is injected, if any, if the snake makes multiple strikes etc. Here is a list that actually measures the toxicity of the venom. Bugger we have lots of things that can bite and kill you here. http://www.avru.org/general/general_mostvenom.html
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Personally I just give them a wide birth if I see them and would be happy not to see a rattler while I'm in the USA. But being Australian, snakes don't bother me, most get out of your way and if they don't you go around them. The rattler is a long way down the list of venomous snakes so I'm not particularly worried about them.

There are lots of different list for which snakes are the most venomous and a lot depends on how much venom is injected, if any, if the snake makes multiple strikes etc. Here is a list that actually measures the toxicity of the venom. Bugger we have lots of things that can bite and kill you here. http://www.avru.org/general/general_mostvenom.html
    I was worried to death when my daughter came over there jjozgrunt and spent 5 days in the backcountry. You all have some wicked creatures over there. Fortunately she survived all the perils
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post

Most lists of venomous snakes also list the Black Mamba at or near the top. Curious as to why it is not even mentioned on this list??

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Most lists of venomous snakes also list the Black Mamba at or near the top. Curious as to why it is not even mentioned on this list??
    From what I understand the list is just how toxic the venom is in relation to the amount in mg needed to kill a mouse. Some snakes are more deadly even though their venom is not as toxic, because they inject a lot of venom when they bite or habitually strike a number of times. Also how the venom works on the victim comes into play. The Inland Taipan is usually at the top of most list because it's venom is very toxic and it usually bites repeatably and injects a large amount of venom with each bite.

But if you leave the wriggly sticks alone then you avoid being bitten in the first place.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Not on the trail, but I did see one about 10 years ago near the Blue Hills while I was working in Westwood, MA. The Blue Hills are in Canton, but not too far as the snake slithers...

Many years apart..
    Medium sized black phase about six miles south of Port Clinton.
    Years later, one yellow phase and one black phase, both huge, and one being used as a pillow by an equally huge copperhead north of Eckville. The next day I stepped right over a small copperhead before I knew it was there.

My AT section hiking included most of PA in snake season but never saw nor heard a rattler.

Only saw 2 copperheads: one in Shenandoah NP in early May, one in PA near Wind Gap in September.

Saw a big rattler on the Allegheny Trail in WV, heard but didn't see one on a trail in Ramsay's Draft Wilderness in VA.

Images

Heard and saw 2 rattlesnakes in Nantahala on the way down to the NOC heading north on the AT in NC.

In PA, a few miles south of DWG.

The authorities in New England have busted a couple of groups of folks who clean out dens and sell them. They post on outdoors forums and act like newbies asking specific questions on locations. Apparently if someone knows what they are doing they can wipe out a population in a very short time. Generally if one of those posts appear they get shut down pretty quickly. I saw some one post an obvious photo of timber rattler in an usual location once and the post disappeared quite quickly. (Nothing wrong with an informational post like this one, just avoid given exact locations).

One of the bigger timber rattler dens in southern VT was purchased by a individual specifically to protect them.

On my sections saw a couple in NY and NJ. North of DWG seems to be prime habitat.

Images

New York State on rocks above Greenwood Lake. Three (or possible more that I didn't now of) as I passed through. Otherwise, almost never. It is generally a non-issue.

Journal Entries
    Images

Large Rattler right out front or Double Springs Shelter in the Smokies
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Saw a 3-4 footer this past weekend right on the trail while climbing Kelly Knob NB in GA. Good thing he rattled, otherwise I would probably have stepped on him.

Images

My close call with a timber rattler was at one of the shelters in NC. Sat on the edge with legs hanging down and heard him rattle directly under me. Hopped up, moved to the other edge and looked under the shelter and there he was all curled up. But I have seen them in GA, NC and PA.
    T-Shirts for hikers: www.trailthread.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++