WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default trangia mini burn time

www.trangia.se/english/2924.mini_trangia.html

is their anyone here who could tell me how many ounces of fuel it takes to burn 1 liter with this stove? or alcohol in general really if thats possible.
    Novice in All Things blog writer
    http://noviceallthings.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by charliethruhike View Post
    www.trangia.se/english/2924.mini_trangia.html

is their anyone here who could tell me how many ounces of fuel it takes to burn 1 liter with this stove? or alcohol in general really if thats possible.
    Your question is not exactly intelligible. Are you asking how much alcohol it takes to BOIL a liter of water on this stove? If you are, then I'd have to reply that it depends. It depends on the type of alcohol, it depends on the temperature of the water you're trying to boil, it depends on the shape of your pot, it depends on how cold it is outside, it depends on how windy it is outside, it depends on the altitude.

It depends. It's just one of those things you have to figure out by using it.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice post Hot Flash! You have to buy it and try it out in the back yard. Also keep in mind tap water is warmer than spring water so you might want to chill a few cups and grab a stick digital thermometer.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Is this for the AT or the Himalayas?

http://www.amazon.com/Trangia-327508...ia+Stoves+Mini

(covering up for a double post)
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

About 24 grams of denatured alcohol in summer conditions. As others said, you need to try it to see what your setup uses.

Recently, I switched from a SVEA 123R stove which uses white gas or gasoline to a Trangia. That takes about 7 grams to boil 0.3 liters of water with the SVEA and the Trangia takes 12 grams to boil the same amount of water. Including priming time for the SVEA, it takes about the same time. I enjoy the simplicity of the Trangia and it is wind resistant with the windscreen I use.

I use a .7 liter IMUSA aluminum cup you can buy at WalMart for about $5.00. It weighs 78 grams. The Trangia stove with fuel weighs around 135 grams. The windscreen weighs 81 grams. This is a total of 294 grams for my cook kit plus about 10 grams for my plastic spork.

Here is a video of me using the Trangia stove to boil water. It is a little more efficient if the food is in the water when cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&vid...id=Ikb_eo1OVQ4

Quote Originally Posted by gram cracker View Post
    About 24 grams of denatured alcohol in summer conditions. As others said, you need to try it to see what your setup uses.

Recently, I switched from a SVEA 123R stove which uses white gas or gasoline to a Trangia. That takes about 7 grams to boil 0.3 liters of water with the SVEA and the Trangia takes 12 grams to boil the same amount of water. Including priming time for the SVEA, it takes about the same time. I enjoy the simplicity of the Trangia and it is wind resistant with the windscreen I use.

I use a .7 liter IMUSA aluminum cup you can buy at WalMart for about $5.00. It weighs 78 grams. The Trangia stove with fuel weighs around 135 grams. The windscreen weighs 81 grams. This is a total of 294 grams for my cook kit plus about 10 grams for my plastic spork.

Here is a video of me using the Trangia stove to boil water. It is a little more efficient if the food is in the water when cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&vid...id=Ikb_eo1OVQ4
    How many 0.3 liter boils do you get with the fuel in your 135 gram stove + fuel weight? Since you have a Svea 123 like me, and I am interested in the Trangia burner, have you figured out a cross over point for the Svea? How many days on the trail before the Svea becomes a better option?
    Thanks!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I think that the actual alcohol stove is the same for all Trangia models, but the windscreens and pots vary. I've read tests that show that the Trangia stove is pretty efficient, comparable to the best alcohol stoves. But, it is heavier than many other alcohol stoves, especially when you add in the weight of the wind screens. You could just use it with the kinds of pot supports and wind screens that people make for homemade stoves.

Journal Entries

Vencha,

I've been using the SVEA 123R since 1977. Until 3 or 4 years ago, I never paid attention to what other people used, so I didn't know about alcohol stoves. When I learned about them, I was attached to my SVEA, so this is a change for me. I'm biased towards the nostalgia of the SVEA.

I haven't hiked the AT, nor do I plan to. Although I backpack often, it's mostly 1 or 2 nights with the occasional 3 or 4 nights. I do plan to eventually thru-hike the Colorado Trail, but that's just a series of 3 or 4 night trips.

It would be difficult to determine a cross-over point without testing. It depends on your style of cooking and how much you cook at once. I think the alcohol stove wins with me because I don't cook much at a time. As the Trangia burns fuel, it also tends to start burning hotter. That works fine with me since I cook my food and then heat water for coffee as I'm eating.

I'll take the SVEA on any hike where I have to resupply. Gasoline is almost always available, and I've noticed many of the stores here don't carry the yellow bottles of HEET which they say you can use for alcohol stoves. From what I've read, alcohol is available on the AT, so it may not be an issue.

My opinion is the crossover point will be longer than the number of days off food a person will carry. I did once do a 9 day solo winter hike in Yosemite with the SVEA and used less than a liter of fuel. If I planned my fuel use, I could probably do the same thing with the Trangia.

For $16.99 or so, it's worth testing the Trangia, but I'm not saying it's the best option. There may be another crossover point that is useful. If you can make a Pepsi can stove that works well, then your stove weight drops to a few grams. The disadvantage is you may not be able to put it out to save the unused fuel. However, the amount of fuel used is consistent, so it's possible to only waste 2 or 3 grams each time. Yeah, the coffee might not be as hot as I like, but that's no problem.

The SVEA is easier to light in temperatures below 40, but it's not a big deal. I've used the Trangia down to temperatures in the mid to high 20's and have gotten it lit. It just took a few extra tries with the lighter. Now I know to pour a few drops of alcohol around the rim to help light it in cold temperatures.

I've never had the alcohol stove blow out with the windscreen I'm using. I have had the SVEA blow out in similar winds.

A tip on the SVEA: I use lighter fluid to prime it. Fill the spirit cup - that bit around the bottom of the burner - with lighter fluid and squirt a bit on the top of the tank so it's easy to light with the windscreen on. About the time the lighter fluid goes out, it's ready to turn on the gas. You may have to use a lighter to light the gas.

The gram cracker in me tilts toward the alcohol stove. The nostalgia factor in me tilts toward the SVEA. You can't use alcohol in national forests when there are burn bans, so I'd probably take the SVEA on a thru-hike if they were likely.

Thanks gram cracker.
    My Svea 123 is a tad older-1974 or 1975. While I own 3 other stoves, I too appreciate the Svea's dependability. It's going to be a tough decision when I finally get back on the trail. Any trail.
    Burn petrochemicals. They fund my habits. Drink alcohol!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Thanks gram cracker.
    My Svea 123 is a tad older-1974 or 1975. While I own 3 other stoves, I too appreciate the Svea's dependability. It's going to be a tough decision when I finally get back on the trail. Any trail.
    Burn petrochemicals. They fund my habits. Drink alcohol!

Wayne
    One advantage to alcohol stoves is you can use any type of liquor that is over 90% alcohol and drink any extra the night before resupply.

Very good to know. I actually debated long and between the Svea and Trangia back in the Dark Ages.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

++ New Posts ++