WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A really good (or a really bad) idea.

Seeing it's already hot in southern Virginia and it's only going to get hotter, I'm having second thoughts about bringing my 40 degree down bag. So, I'm thinking of using my silk liner and a really light fleece blanket.

I found some nice thin fleece at Wallyword for the blanket. After trimming it to size, weighs 1 lb, 8 oz, about 7 oz lighter then the down bag. I would bring the liner anyway, so that isn't a factor in the overall weight. (I would normally use the liner to keep from sticking to my pad and use the bag as a quilt when it cools down early in the morning)

Not a big weight savings and the bulk is about the same, but I think overall I'll be more comfortable during the hot and sticky nights which can be expected over the next 4 weeks hiking through Virginia. I have a warm shirt I could put on if I happen to get an unusually cold (damp) night.

Worth a shot, worse that could happen is I'll freeze to death
    Actually, if I wake up cold early in the morning, might as well get up and start hiking. Could be a good alarm clock.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

It's not forecast to be hot from what I've seen. We are going to grayson highlands next weekend and highs are 60 ish. But you never know in Virginia

I would never do that.
    Keep in mind the altitude of the AT.
    It's a lot colder on top than it is down where those airports and cities are.
    But, to each his own.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Humm, I looked at the forecast starting next week for Pearisburg. I might be a few weeks early for this idea.

I've done that same thing before with success, but I am what they call a "hot" sleeper. I get too warm easily in a sleeping bag. You might consider the "flip" sleeping bag which has more insulation on one side than the other--I think they are rated 35 degrees on one side and 50 on the other. I have one made by Mountain Hardware;
    http://www.mountainhardwear.com/down...ml?colorID=372
    It can serve as a blanket as well if you want.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I've hiked most of the AT with a 50 degree rated fleece liner. So have my wife and kids. We were perfectly comfy. But, as they say, it all depends on your sleeping comfort level.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Humm, I looked at the forecast starting next week for Pearisburg. I might be a few weeks early for this idea.
    Hey Slow, you may have realized it but the one thing to think about is that at this time if year in Virginia the temperatures can swing widely; especially between day time highs and night time lows. As much as 30 to 40+ differences. Yesterday it was 91 degrees by 3pm but dropped down to 60 over night. I am sure the southwestern part of the state can be a bit cooler and night time lows easily in the low 50s and high 40s.

It is not really until July and early August that nighttime lows are near to the highs.

Just for myself personally I'd be prepared for cold nights.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 05-09-2014 at 09:12.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Yeah, I tried the fleece liner thing once in July in Grayson Highlands and froze my butt. Last summer I got a 45-F down quilt from Jacks r Better and it's just perfect at 17 oz.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 down bag is 19 oz. I love mine. List price is crazy but major discounts often available. Got mine ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Yesterday it was 91 degrees by 3pm but dropped down to 60 over night. I am sure the southwestern part of the state can be a bit cooler and night time lows easily in the low 50s and high 40s.
    If it only went down to 60, I could handle that easy enough. It's the low 50's and high 40's predicted for a few nights at Pearisburg which got me worried. Of course, those are the rainy days too, of which their calling for a number of. Now I'm also worried about the new, non-waterproof low cut boots I just bought. I really hate wet feet, but most of the days will be too hot for my GTX boots.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go with tried and true. No sense shivering all night just to shave half a pound off the pack.

Images

The only time I wear waterproof shoes is in the winter when there is snow on the ground. Otherwise I wear mesh trail runners with wool socks -- the magic combo for foot comfort. Sure, my feet get wet crossing streams, in wet grass, in the rain, whatever. But the wool socks keep them comfortable, and the mesh trail runners dry way faster than any waterproof shoes. YMMV, of course, but you might just try the mesh shoes and see what you think.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

If it only went down to 60, I could handle that easy enough. It's the low 50's and high 40's predicted for a few nights at Pearisburg which got me worried. Of course, those are the rainy days too, of which their calling for a number of. Now I'm also worried about the new, non-waterproof low cut boots I just bought. I really hate wet feet, but most of the days will be too hot for my GTX boots.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go with tried and true. No sense shivering all night just to shave half a pound off the pack.
    At normal trail altitude the 50 degrees in Pearisburg will be in the 40's. I carry a 20deg down quilt year round. At 20oz. I hit the point of diminishing returns to go much lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    At normal trail altitude the 50 degrees in Pearisburg will be in the 40's. I carry a 20deg down quilt year round. At 20oz. I hit the point of diminishing returns to go much lighter.
    No, there's not that much temp difference. Pearisburg is at 2000 feet and the near-by ridges are 3000. You rarely go above 4000 feet in VA and your usually at 2500 to 3000. And since cold air sinks, it can actually be colder in the valleys then up on the ridge, but that effect is usually more noticeable in the winter.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Seeing it's already hot in southern Virginia and it's only going to get hotter, I'm having second thoughts about bringing my 40 degree down bag. So, I'm thinking of using my silk liner and a really light fleece blanket.

I found some nice thin fleece at Wallyword for the blanket. After trimming it to size, weighs 1 lb, 8 oz, about 7 oz lighter then the down bag. I would bring the liner anyway, so that isn't a factor in the overall weight.
    You're down bag is rated for 40 F and weighs 1 lb 15 oz...holy crap! Not trying to be a smart a$$ but my 20 F down bag only weighs a couple ounces over that. What kind of bag is it?

As to your question, if it stays hot you'll probably be comfortable but if we get a cold snap you might have a few cold nights.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    You're down bag is rated for 40 F and weighs 1 lb 15 oz...holy crap! Not trying to be a smart a$$ but my 20 F down bag only weighs a couple ounces over that. What kind of bag is it?
    Lafumma. 650 fill. Actually, its a 32 degree bag, but 40 is it's comfort rating.

I did that once. Dead of summer, August, 98* during the day, brought just a fleece and a silk liner. Nearly froze to death that night (OK, not to death, but I was really miserably uncomfortable). Sure, at first I was really comfortable, but some time after midnight the temp dropped just enough that I was the most unhappy of campers.

So my advice is to bring a sleeping bag.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Factoring wind at elevations also must be taken into account. I"d definitely do a 45 degree bag / quilt for awhile since cool nights at elevation are always a possibility this time of year .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I'm not sure what the temp change rule is, but last weekend,we parked one car at the James River footbridge, and drove up to Sunset Field parking lot to begin, and the temperature dropped 12 degrees! I believe it was 800' at the bridge, and maybe 3200' at the parking lot

Images

I've heard 3 degrees for every thousand feet of elevation gain.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

It snowed on May 21st 2002 just outside of Pearisburg, VA. I was cold.

++ New Posts ++