WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is there anyone doing custom cuben/bugscreen tents

As I have posted earlier I have a 11x8 1/2 foot cuben tarp. I would like to have made a cuben bath tube floor/bug net tent to work with my tarp. I have checked with most cottages and I get the same response ...we dont do that. ... we dont do custom work. So my question is does anyone know of someone who does custom work with cuben and bug netting. Thanks for the help

Default yamamountaingear.com

they might do it. they offer bug shelters in silnylon, and have cuben on hand. worth a shot if they haven't said no already

Journal Entries

Z-packs makes 3 different sized cuban bathtub floors, I believe you could get a bug net 'bivy' somewhere to pair with that. My understanding is the older model Heximid tend used a separate bug screen, so they might be willing to work with you since they have the pattern already.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Joe at Zpacks on his site says they do custom work with cuben. Give them a ring and see what they can do for you.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

thanks scudder I will look at yama, Star I am looking for something bigger than a bivy but z pack is on my radar. Farmer, I d would like to talk wth joe but he is out of the country for May.

Images

I made one for myself but I would recommend not limiting yourself to cuben. Since the majority will be net the cuben will primarily be the floor. In my mind cuben is a toss up for the floor. The weight difference is minimal and cuben is less than ideal for abrasion. I justified it because I can easily repair it or sew a new one in.

Journal Entries

Though Cuban may not be as durable as other fabrics for a floor, I have used the z-pack bathtub on my entire thru. it did get 2 pin holes which were easially taken care of by cuban repair tape (duct tape works well too). I used it for my tent (which had a bug screen below it, so there was 'some' additional protection) and also in some shelters under my sleeping pad, including a few times on concrete. So it was 'durable enough', and having almost no sowing skills repair by tape works great for me. YMMV

++ New Posts ++