WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If it is desirable gear and you take really good care of it, it will resell for as much as 50%-75% of best new gear price you can find. That said, a thru hike is a lot of miles to keep gear in excellent condition. Know yourself and it will help you in this planning process. Another option is to buy it used, rather than new. I've occasionally bought gear used, taken good care of it over a few years of use, and sold it for the same or more than I paid for it. I take really good care of my gear. Not everyone does.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    I'm not trying to give you a hard time, and I love buying a shiny new piece of gear as much as the next person! But I'm saying that for $225, I would rather buy a zpacks Arc Blast that I believe is worth the money, instead of a rain jacket
    Yeah, that was my first thought, too, and I actually own a $200 rain jacket. Along with a cheap silnylon poncho and some DriDucks.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

This last exchange hits close to something I've always known about UL. Like BigCranky said, it's a system. It's something of a plan of action, too. The goal is to cut your base weight down as low as you can go, taking account of your routes, the weather forecast, etc. Your budget plays a role in it, too. If you want to go UL, then set a goal of going as UL you can afford.

Personally, I shake my head sometimes when I see what's sold/purchased as UL gear-- not worth the prices, IMO.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    I'm not trying to give you a hard time, and I love buying a shiny new piece of gear as much as the next person! But I'm saying that for $225, I would rather buy a zpacks Arc Blast that I believe is worth the money, instead of a rain jacket
    Quote Originally Posted by denefi View Post
    Haha point definitely taken. I'll check to see if I have the receipt at home. I bought it at REI about a month ago, so they could probably just look it up as well.
    Found the receipt! Really glad that I posted on here and that you guys have all chimed in. There's a lot that I haven't considered.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    ... Use a $10 closed cell foam pad instead of a $200 Neoair.

Good luck and happy trails.
    Some folks can sleep on blue foam. I have owned a blue foam pad since forever. I can't sleep on it alone. So I added a Ridgerest. Can't sleep on those 2 foam pads alone. So I added a 1" thick Therm-A-Rest self-inflating pad. The Therm-A-Rest wasn't much better than the two foam pads together. All 3 together was tolerable. Heavy as lead.
    I just ordered a large Xtherm and an Exped air pillow. If that combination doesn't work for me, I will become a dedicated car camper.
    Bottom line: Blue foam is only an option for some.
    Used quality gear, on the other hand, is viable for all.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by RodentWhisperer View Post
    Personally, I shake my head sometimes when I see what's sold/purchased as UL gear-- not worth the prices, IMO.
    Yes indeed. Don't go to REI and tell them you want their finest UL kit. You will spend thousands of dollars on 20 pounds of gear. Those guys will tell you a 3 pound pack is "ultralight!!" I like REI but you should do your research before buying something expensive from them.

And let's talk about durability ... the Mariposa Plus that I used on the AT in 2008 now has 2,000 trail miles on it, as well as thousands more backpacking around Europe and Asia. How many people can say the same of their "durable" six pound monster packs? (full disclosure, the Mariposa has extensive duct tape repairs on the mesh pockets) The many extra features you see on traditional packs are often the first point of failure, especially zippers. UL packs are basically a bag with a drawstring - no zipper to break. Simplicity = durability!

People say that gear isn't everything, which is true, but there's nothing wrong with *ahem* obsessively weighing every item and making spreadsheets and reading backpackinglight.com!! (not that I would know anything about that kind of crazy behavior!!) I think it is great that you are jumping right into UL without the needless suffering and expense of a heavy pack first. Living in Boston, you have easy access to many great hikes. In NH I saw a lot of Harvard and MIT students. I even talked one into trading his Snickers bar for my bag of banana chips! What a sucker! PS, here's a video of my PCT gear after I finished California last year, featuring the 2008 Mariposa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtVx6y_Stac

On the PCT I had transitioned away from geeky gram weenie to the "Extra socks? Camp clothes? Who needs em?" school of UL.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I just ordered a large Xtherm and an Exped air pillow. If that combination doesn't work for me, I will become a dedicated car camper.
    Bottom line: Blue foam is only an option for some.
    Absolutely true. The original poster has the advantage of youth -- back then I could just about sleep on bare rock. The combination of youth and low budget suggests that the blue foam pad, or the slightly more expensive Ridgerest pad should work fine for now.

The Xtherm, on the other hand, is freaking awesome, as the kidz say. My lovely wife has one, and it solves two major sleep problems for her -- cushion and warmth. The big downside is the $175 cost, and the need to inflate it with a lot of breaths. (Take it slowly, trust me.) I really hope you like it as much as she does. (Also, like the self-inflating pads, don't blow it up too hard, it should cradle you, not feel like a balloon. We got that wrong the first time, too.)

I have so far avoided the siren song of the Xtherm. My full length Prolite 4, which is ten years old or more, has done me very well. But just last month I got a 3/4 length Prolite, the 1-inch pad, and spent a miserable night in the backcountry on it. Too thin, but the 11 oz weight was nice. So I traded it for a new 3/4 length Prolite Plus, which is the newest version of my old Prolite 4, but which weighs only 15 oz instead of the 24 of my old pad. Trying it out next weekend, but I think it'll be great for summertime use.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

My best recent gear addition involved making a sit pad out of the Wal-Mart blue foam. A 13"x16" sit pad weighs just 1.75 ounces and added a lot of comfort to my recent section hike. And for the $8 I spent I have material for many more sit pads.

I use a Prolite 3 (1 inch pad) full length which weighs a bit over a pound. I'm thinking about switching to a 3/4 length prolite and using the sit pad and my pack for my legs. That could save about 5 ounces off my pack weight. I find the Prolite comfortable plus the way I pack it adds some cushioning to the back panel of my Circuit.

UL gear can be expensive but even with the lightest UL gear backpacking is not an expensive activity compared to many outdoor activities, especially considering that the gear can last a long time. Sure my Hexamid Twin cost $525 but I have 35 nights in it so I'm under $15/night and I'm pretty sure that the figure will be under $3/night before the shelter wears out entirely. And we should keep in mind that hiking itself is free or near-free, something not true for many outdoor activities.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I'm thinking about switching to a 3/4 length prolite and using the sit pad and my pack for my legs.
    This is exactly what I do with a 3/4 pad and my sit pad. Try putting the site pad *inside* your sleeping bag (or quilt's footbox), that way you won't have to worry about keeping the two pads lined up properly.

And I 100% agree with the utility of a small closed cell foam sit pad. Been carrying one for years. This year I am adding one more use to this fantastically multi-use device by taking a Sharpie and writing "Hiker to Town" and "Hiker to Trail" on the sit pad so I can use it for hitching. Thanks again to whomever suggested that here on WB.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

This is exactly what I do with a 3/4 pad and my sit pad. Try putting the site pad *inside* your sleeping bag (or quilt's footbox), that way you won't have to worry about keeping the two pads lined up properly.
    Great idea!

And I 100% agree with the utility of a small closed cell foam sit pad. Been carrying one for years. This year I am adding one more use to this fantastically multi-use device by taking a Sharpie and writing "Hiker to Town" and "Hiker to Trail" on the sit pad so I can use it for hitching. Thanks again to whomever suggested that here on WB.
    I actually wrote "Hiker to Town" and "Hiker to Trail" on the sit pad but I think that I need to pick a color other than black since it isn't that visible against the blue foam background. I didn't hitch on my last hike but definitely will be hitching on my next hike.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

You're new to hiking, and it sounds like, UL hiking gear? I assume that's correct! ZPacks is at the rather extreme weight saving end in UL w/ higher gram saving price tags to go along with somewhat limited durability in both the Hexamid and Arc Blast although you could get these gear pieces in slightly heavier CF versions w/ expected greater durability. AND, you're doing this on about a $1000 or so budget. In the hands of a Newbie using the lightest wt Zpacks gear you'll get even less durability in my frank opinion keeping in mind that you said you want to sell it post AT thru-hike attempt. IF you want to use UL gear in your situation and then sell it post AT thru-hike I sincerely recommend you don't go the route of ZPacks gear OR, at the least, the lightest wt Zpacks versions of those gear items you mentioned. Although Zpacks gear is great and they are a popular cottage industry UL company right now doing some cutting edge UL gear designs and construction in YOUR SITUATION based on what you said I would look at somewhat med to higher wt UL gear companies that will save you the wt, and possibly some do re mi, on the purchase prices on the front end, but ALSO provide a better chance of in USED CONDITION resale value! The other $$$ and wt saving options I see for you is to look into UL DIY projects or buying, either new or in used conditioned, UL gear without the intention of selling it after your hike. Heck with $1000 to spend on lightening your load I can help you drop some serious wt by going with a more durable less expensive UL shelter, sleeping bag/quilt. sleep pad, and backpack with excellent resale value. I will mention this though because it is, I believe, a MISTAKE for Newbie ULers, AND IN MY HONEST OPINION YOU ARE MAKING THIS MISTAKE, to think going UL, is ONLY about gear. NOT SO! UL is a philosophy encompassing MORE than gear! For one, the UL philosophy also encompasses what's going on between your ears. Most build up to a hardcore UL kit through experience/trail miles/nights on the trail.

Respectfully, not all of us are in the same place as hikers or in gear use/gear knowledge. I can think of a myriad of ways that someone who is new to backpacking AND new to UL(actually new to backpacking gear!) can run into difficulties with gear in general especially when that gear is on the extreme end of UL. Now, add in the idea that this person has the desire to possibly resell this gear after an AT thru-hike....

Dogwood, great response, thanks! Just to clarify I don't have a targeted top end on my budget. I had figured that if I wanted to go with really good UL gear, that that would cost about $1k in addition to what I'd otherwise spend to use what I currently have plus lightweight (not UL) alternatives for what I don't. 1k was just the marginal increase that I'd roughly estimated. That said, I am trying to be cost conscious and, frankly, didn't realize there were all of these MUCH less expensive yet still light gear. Already learning a lot!

Also, going to do a lot of that other thing to make my pack lighter... get stronger

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Prioritizing might help. It sounds like you want to save some kit wt but might want to sell gear if your thru-hike doesn't totally happen. BUT KEEP YOUR SIGHTS SET ON THE MAIN GOAL which is to thru-hike the AT! You DO NOT need to have the lightest wt kit to happily and safely thru-hike the AT(don't fall into that UL hiking mentality especially as a Newbie backpacker). NOR do you necessarily need to have the highest end most extreme lightest wt gear to sell on the back end IF for some reason you do decide to sell that gear. AND, as I previously said, but I think it worth repeating, IMHO UL gear, especially UL gear that is rather on the extreme end of the UL gear spectrum, will probably not suit your overall goals! You might strongly consider light wt BIG 4 gear pieces that have a med range $ tag and then nip and tuck at the smaller items. All the gear in the world means little if you, as a backpacker, don't mesh with it though! YES, every perspective AT thru-hiker should spend time getting familiar with their kit, hiking style/hiking philosophy, expanding their comfort zones(no matter what kind of kit they use!), etc pre AT thru-hike experience. REMEMBER, the MAIN GOAL! Get in the yard, out near home, out in the rain, out in the cold, on overnights, over weekends, over the course of a week, sleeping in your shelter/cooking with your trail stove/wearing your backpack, putting up/breaking camp, setting up your shelter, walking, walking, walking up hills, etc pre AT thru-hike.

Hypothetical :
    "For sale. Pack, tent, quilt, etc. used for AT Thru-Hike. "
    WhiteBlaze shopper translation: "Worn out. Used up. Give you $10 apiece. "

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I have several gear lists with weights and costs, if these might be helpful send me a PM with your email and I will forward. I was making good bucks when I bought my backpacking/mountaineering gear. The number can get large for sure. Now that I am broke, glad I spent the money, this stuff generally will last quite a long time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++