Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Makes me wonder what women did for all the millenia before disposable pads.
    I have a friend who's into civil war stuff. makes her own clothes, the knickers/underwear she makes are too loose to hold a pad in place,
    I plan on bringing along the bottom half of a 1/2 gallon milk jug for washing out stuff, inc. personal hygiene.
    Washing my feet every morning and evening would be a good thing to do, but that's a different post.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

To the extent that you can believe wiki.answers, tampons are NOT a modern invention.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Here's something to consider... using a period-halting form of BC causes your body to operate a bit more like the way it was designed for...

As for a specific form of BC, I would suggest you at least research Mirena.....
    Great response. I think your summary is spot on, especially with breast cancer risk assessment.

Being an obstetric nurse, just want to mention Mirena (IUD) is contraindicated for someone who doesn't already have at least one living child; the risk of uterine damage preventing any future pregnancy is very minimal (i.e. scarring or uterine puncture), but it could happen. No medical procedure is without risks, even a simple blood draw
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

For any info, you can easily ask google. Thats what I did to begin my research and then if I need to clarify somethings I ask. As for pads/tampons. I've read a lot about a variety of options including a diva cup and a sponge....but I think I am going to keep it simple and use tampons. I would take caution re-using anything, and that just personally grosses me out....

I'm also a happy Diva Cup user for about 2 years now. I had no trouble getting used to it, but I'm pretty comfortable with my body and do not get grossed out easily. My sister on the other hand has asked me about is several times and can't get past the method of insertion without freaking out.

It's all about what makes you comfortable. Chances are you're already a little uncomfortable at that time of the month anyway, so being confident and comfortable with your chosen method is super important. If you're planning to switch to something new, start a few months (at least) before your hike to make sure you can use whatever you decide on out in the woods.

I've used my DC while hiking, camping, at music festivals, and when I'm home too. Personally, I switched for environmental reasons as well as health ones. My philosophy is to keep an open mind, try new things, but stick with what works...even if in the end it's what you started out with.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I used tampons instead, with a light panty liner.
    This was my system as well and will be again next time.

I hear so many positives about the diva cup (or the like) that I might just try it out sometime. I have always been so hesitant for the fear of not having it function properly. It will definitely save money from the organic cotton ones I buy.
    Thank you all for your insight.

After further reflection I've decided to try the Diva Cup.
    Just wanted to thank you ladies for introducing it to me as I'd never heard of it before.
    Thank you.

^^^ Good luck! I was just about to post another +1 for the Diva Cup when I saw your final post that you're trying it. Yay! I hope you love it as much as I do.

I've never had to use it while hiking (I got an IUD abuot a year ago and don't get much of a period anymore, but I do carry it just in case), but I used it while camping and at festivals in the past very successfully. As long as you have some TP and soap, you'll do just fine.

Images

I've been using a divacup & light weight reusable liner pads from new moon pads. Have used this combo for two years now. 1300 miles into my sobo thru it's worked well on the trail. Two pads & divacup weight only 1.65 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by ams212001 View Post
    You can also look into the Diva cup.

Steep learning curve for a couple of months but I find it worth it!
    Diva Cup ALL THE WAY! It was a little...different the first period I used it for. That's because it is different, but you get used to it quickly. I've been using mine for over a year now, and I cannot imagine ever going back to tampons or even pads for that manner. I highly recommend trying it out. I've used it for many short and long excursions. No trash, just used your cooking device to boil some water to clean it out when needed. It's also very light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    After further reflection I've decided to try the Diva Cup.
    Just wanted to thank you ladies for introducing it to me as I'd never heard of it before.
    Thank you.

Whoops, didn't read this before my last post. Yay, hope it's going well.

So I have been using a DivaCup for a couple years now and I am still trying to figure out how to use it on a thru-hike. Say you are out on the trail with no town near and it is full. What would be the most LNT method of cleaning it? Dig a hole and bury the contents and use a wipey to clean it out in order to reuse it has been my best theory so far... Any other suggestions out there that I am not thinking of?

Just a thought, but the large amount of physical activity on a thru could naturally cause you to have a slightly lighter period than normal. I definitely experienced this on my Long Trail thru. While it doesn't help the technical aspects of dealing with menstruation on the trail, I can't deny that it was pretty awesome. There isn't really a solid way to know if this will happen to you on the trail, but none the less, its a nice perk to possibly look forward to

Hope you have a great hike!

Have you used the Diva Cup on trail? That's my method of choice but how and where do you dump/rinse, since you can't pack out? If you don't mind me asking!

Woops, just kidding, need to read to the end. I'm glad to read ladies who have experienced the DC while hiking. Yay!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this (or if you are comfortable doing it) but certain forms of birth control like implanon can eliminate periods. It lasts for 3 years though...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++