WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do I need bug gear in July?

Hey guys,
    Looking for some input on the CT. Should I bring a mosquito net and spray in July/August, or no? Thanks!

If you are cowboy camping (no tent) a bug net might be helpful but mosquitoes on the CT are rarely very bad. I have one that I used quite a bit in WY and MT on the CDT but never on the CT. As for spray, I would find the smallest and lightest tube or bottle you can find and get that. You probably won't use it much. I hate the stuff - it ends up stinking up clothing and if it gets cold enough to need those clothes at night it stinks up the sleeping bag.

During my 2011 thruhike (SOBO), the mosquitoes were a nuisance for the first 12 days or so (we started July 24), after which they disappeared. I personally don't use insect repellant and resorted to putting on long pants, a hat, and my waterproof windbreaker once reaching camp so their only target was my face. I don't consider a headnet necessary. However, our schedule was up around 5 & on trail by 6, all before they were active. And our hiker midnight was early, sometimes before 7 pm. If you like to stay up later, you'll deal with more mosquitoes.

Images

Best to be prepared and not need any bug protection than to need it and not have it. Only a few more ounces. Video below is not of the CT but you'll get the gist.. You will have midday thunderstorms so do not forget your rain gear.
    Enjoy your hike...

JMT 2012, 2013, CT July-Aug 2014

I hate Deet but I hate mosquito bites more. We always bring a little just in case. In these Sierra's they get super bad in June - Since its our first time on the CT, figure better safe than sorry. Besides, mosquitoes loooooove me!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

If you wish to purchase a head net get this one:http://boutiqueretailer.com.au/produ...-insect-mozzie
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I'll be hiking mostly in August and I plan to keep a head net and DEET in my bounce box just in case. There was a thread a while back which led me to believe that bugs aren't a big issue after July on the CT.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries
    Images

Head nets don't weigh anything.. might as well keep it with you.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I'll be hiking mostly in August and I plan to keep a head net and DEET in my bounce box just in case. There was a thread a while back which led me to believe that bugs aren't a big issue after July on the CT.
    Hiking in August, you probably won't have mosquitoes for more than a week, if that. At least that was my experience.

I only had some minor bites in the first a few days in early August. And that's all. You don't have to worry about it when you are moving except when you settle down at night. You don't need any head net, but a bug net inside a tent will certainly help keep them away.

Images

In all my years hiking in CO, I've never quite found a pattern as to when or where 'skeeters are the worst. There are just too many variables. I will say however that they are simply not a big deal in the CO high country, except occasionally. I carry a small deet spray all the time from June through August, but rarely use it; my small bottle has lasted many years, still plenty left.

Head nets? No way, just not needed. I honestly cannot remember ever seeing anyone on a trail in CO with a head net on. Wyoming/Montana and I'm sure other northern/western states are a different matter. I wouldn't go into, for example, the Wind River range in WY in mid summer without a head net.

Thought I would resurrect this thread - been reading a few trail journals that are stating that the mosquitoes are vicious this year, even as of today (near Salida) - What say you all? I soooo hate Deet, but it is the only thing that works for me on exposed skin - they seem to LOVE me. Hoping that they all DIE in the month of August and soon!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by K6VOI View Post
    Thought I would resurrect this thread - been reading a few trail journals that are stating that the mosquitoes are vicious this year, even as of today (near Salida) - What say you all? I soooo hate Deet, but it is the only thing that works for me on exposed skin - they seem to LOVE me. Hoping that they all DIE in the month of August and soon!!!!
    Just got back from another multi-day trip near the Aspen/Maroon Bells area, the skeeters were pretty bad. Tolerable when moving, but I'd take a small bug spray to use in camp. Should be mostly gone sometime in early-mid August, especially high (>11K).

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just got back from another multi-day trip near the Aspen/Maroon Bells area, the skeeters were pretty bad. Tolerable when moving, but I'd take a small bug spray to use in camp. Should be mostly gone sometime in early-mid August, especially high (>11K).
    Thanks Rob!!!!! It is soooo nice when mosquitoes disappear for good! Hitting the trail in 6 days!!!

I may add DEET back into my pack for the first several days just in case. Few things that I dislike as much as Deet....

K6VOI, looks like I'll be a day or so behind you on the trail!

I know I am a bit late to the party, but might be good for anyone next year.

I spent the July 4th weekend and this past weekend (July 19/20) in the Lost Creek Wilderness portion of the CT (section 4, roughly). Biting flies were pretty bad for most of the trip while stationary. They were not too bad while moving, but even a short sit-down meant shoo-ing off the flies. They are deceptive - they look like normal house flies until the moment you feel their bite. The mosquitoes came out at dusk and were not too bad.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I know I am a bit late to the party, but might be good for anyone next year.

I spent the July 4th weekend and this past weekend (July 19/20) in the Lost Creek Wilderness portion of the CT (section 4, roughly). Biting flies were pretty bad for most of the trip while stationary. They were not too bad while moving, but even a short sit-down meant shoo-ing off the flies. They are deceptive - they look like normal house flies until the moment you feel their bite. The mosquitoes came out at dusk and were not too bad.
    I hate biting flies. I can't remember if Deet deters them. thanks for the update

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I may add DEET back into my pack for the first several days just in case. Few things that I dislike as much as Deet....

K6VOI, looks like I'll be a day or so behind you on the trail!
    See you on the trail Coffee - hope you have a great hike! The worst part for me is flying into Denver - I hate flying...I would have rather walked to Denver from So Cal

Did the CT in July-Aug 2014. Mosquitoes were out in abundance, anywhere damp; with biting flies a lower elevations. The breezes above treeline seemed to keep them down. Locals said it was a high-snow Winter and an unusually wet Spring. The woman at the Twin Lakes General Store said she'd never seen mosquitoes in CO before this Summer. Resorted to DEET once or twice. Never missed my headnet, but many times I was happy to have a tent to retreat to.

I always carry a headnet with me; even when I know I won't need it. That way it stays with my gear and I have it for when I do need it. I've been using this one since my PCT thru-hike in 2009: http://simblissity.net/ultralight-mosquito-headnet.htm
    It only weighs 0.33oz so why not carry it? Its not good for noseeums (which in the mountains out west, I've never seen), but for mosquitos is more than enough. It has better airflow than than a normal headnet so it's not as hot to wear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++