WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Not thru hikers, but about 8-10 years ago I saw some backpackers roll into a shelter with 70L packs. Took out a Coleman two-burner stove & 2 pots + 10" fry pan for two people. He used a big 10" piezo lighter/stick to start the stove ("faulty auto-ignition"). Went down to the river for water and came back with a 2+ gallon collapsible water tank full. He cooked up some mean sausages and peppers and mashed potatoes. They set out a plastic table cloth to eat on, took the propane bottle off the stove and screwed it into a huge Coleman lantern that lit up whole neighborhood. They took out a hatchet and cut up some logs to make a fire. She made herself busy setting up the tent (had to sleep at least 4) and inflating the double sized air mattress (battery pump). They were very nice but loud as all get out during all their preparations, and asked if we would want a little music and took out a little battery FM radio. Luckily there wasn't anything good playing and they turned it off. They said they were spending a week hiking the park. It was the end of their day 2 and she was jokingly saying the camping part is fun, the hiking part is too much work. I suggested they try lighter gear next time. They were amazed with my stove, I think it was a pocket rocket at the time. I think they got outfitted at Walmart without realizing they had car camping gear.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyFeet View Post
    Not thru hikers, but about 8-10 years ago I saw some backpackers roll into a shelter with 70L packs. Took out a Coleman two-burner stove & 2 pots + 10" fry pan for two people. He used a big 10" piezo lighter/stick to start the stove ("faulty auto-ignition"). Went down to the river for water and came back with a 2+ gallon collapsible water tank full. He cooked up some mean sausages and peppers and mashed potatoes. They set out a plastic table cloth to eat on, took the propane bottle off the stove and screwed it into a huge Coleman lantern that lit up whole neighborhood. They took out a hatchet and cut up some logs to make a fire. She made herself busy setting up the tent (had to sleep at least 4) and inflating the double sized air mattress (battery pump). They were very nice but loud as all get out during all their preparations, and asked if we would want a little music and took out a little battery FM radio. Luckily there wasn't anything good playing and they turned it off. They said they were spending a week hiking the park. It was the end of their day 2 and she was jokingly saying the camping part is fun, the hiking part is too much work. I suggested they try lighter gear next time. They were amazed with my stove, I think it was a pocket rocket at the time. I think they got outfitted at Walmart without realizing they had car camping gear.
    That's pretty funny!
    Now imagine the opposite:
    Couple of serious backpackers show up at the church/company/family picnic, unload a tiny little stove, boil some water from their Nalgene, and pour it into some zip-locks to "cook". Meanwhile everyone else is hauling coolers, ice chests, chairs, canopies, etc from their vehicles. About the time the tablecloths get spread, the backpackers are sitting on a couple of rocks finishing their meal, and gathering a gawking crowd. LOL

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyFeet View Post
    Not thru hikers, but about 8-10 years ago I saw some backpackers roll into a shelter with 70L packs...
    Sheesh, that's more gear than I usually bring car camping!

What's the most obsolete/useless/inappropriate item I saw on the A.T? Easy... my hiking buddy Filthy. It's also why I like hiking with him.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    What's the most obsolete/useless/inappropriate item I saw on the A.T? Easy... my hiking buddy Filthy. It's also why I like hiking with him.
    Now that's funny...I gots a bud like that...bless his little pea pickin' heart.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Now that's funny...I gots a bud like that...bless his little pea pickin' heart.
    ...useless as tits on a bull he is, but we like him.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    A guy hiked the whole way with a tuba.

http://www.journalnow.com/relishnow/...043992aba.html
    This is the guy that hiked SOBO with the barefoot sisters.

Images

di see a bowling ball in a shelter i think it was no business knob shelter, only reason i could ever think of is maybe somebody put it in his partners pack, hopefully not a wife's pack. but that would be funny. for about 10 seconds

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++