WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Groundsheet/Poncho combination

I'm intrigued by the zPacks Groundsheet/Poncho combination: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/gr...t_poncho.shtml

I already have a Hexamid Twin with the regular twin groundsheet (4.3 ounces) and the Twin poncho/groundsheet is 6.1 ounces, only a 1.8 ounce weight penalty. However, that is nearly fully offset by eliminating my pack cover at 1.5 ounces. Beyond that, I would potentially save over 10 ounces if I can eliminate my rain jacket and rain pants.

However, I have a few concerns about the tradeoffs involved:

1. With the poncho/groundsheet in groundsheet mode in camp, what would one use as rain gear if needing to move around camp in a rain storm after the shelter is already set up?

2. Is the poncho/groundsheet usable when not wearing a pack or is it just too roomy (it is designed to go over the hiker and a pack).

3. I haven't experienced much mud accumulating on my standard groundsheet but it might be a concern if using it in poncho mode.

4. I can see potential issues with water when setting up and taking down shelter in the rain. It would be necessary to remove the poncho to get into the pack (vs leaving a pack cover on) since the ground sheet would have to come off before finishing the shelter setup and getting into the shelter.

I'm thinking of the poncho/groundsheet mainly for my 2015 PCT thru hike where there shouldn't be tons of rain, but still a bit concerned... I don't think this setup would work very well on the AT or on my Colorado Trail thru hike this summer since daily rain is more than norm than the exception. Any first hand experience with the poncho/groundsheet combo would be helpful. Thanks.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

I've been using the Hexamid Plus this last year for about 30 nights in all sorts of weather and it has done really well.
    1) if it's raining in camp, i have all my stuff in the tent sitting in/on my pack in their individual ditty bags and of course my clothes and sleeping bag stay in dry bags till i need them...it is nice to have sitpad or something to kneel on while getting that poncho groundsheet back in the tent, but other than that it's not that big of a deal.
    2) I wear my pack over the poncho/groundsheet but my back is CF with drybags in it and an umbrella over everything...poncho/groundsheet comes out for freezing rain/snow only really...windshirt/umbrella for regular weather.
    3) that cf is pretty slick and the mud sticks to it about the same rate as silnylon...not much of a concern...slept on the AT muddy treadway several times in storms...lil mud on the screen and groundsheet but it dissipated without much effort or notice.
    4) Buy a CF pack with a rolltop closure or at least put essential gear in drybags and or continue using a packcover...or position your umbrella to cover your pack while you setup (if it's not too windy-for which I have a cord to stake down the umbrella with)...

I used to use a light rainjacket/windjacket/umbrella combo with a cf tarp/spinnaker groundsheet/half bug net, but the Hexamid's full bugnetting, ease of setup (already have the pole with me versus finding trees or sticks near camp), and poncho/groundsheet has been a gamechanger at only 1.5oz more (with .5oz of that being 2 additional stakes)-still have the umbrella/windjacket just losing the rainjacket and tarp half bug net...

This setup has been one of the nicest setups I've had and I'm very much considering it for my CT thru-bike this summer even though it comes in about 1-1.5L larger than my other combo. The one thing that I have issue with----Poncho's aren't as stylish, aerodynamic, or form-fitting as rain jackets but they seem to be better ventilated and "wetting-thru" isn't as much of an issue since it isn't meant to be breathable material and it's not next to your skin like the jacket. Even without the umbrella, and the goofy looks i might get wearing a poncho while riding a bike...I'm seriously considering it. I also cut two cords so i could set the groundsheet up into a lean-to for afternoon storms...regardless, it has enough room to huddle under solo and pull your arms inside. (I hobbitized myself in the smokies this year to make myself look like a boulder...no one ever saw me). Holl'r.
    See ya when I get there.

I've seen this product and have always had one big question: Doesn't water get through the head hole when in groundcover mode? It's like having a big hole in your boat to allow water to get into if your tent site is inundated with a torrential downpour? Am I missing something with this design?

Thanks for the feedback on this. Will have to give it some more thought but at least I have a lot of time to consider.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

One night it was raining quite a bit and the trail treadway which I camped directly on was saturated. A small bit of water did push up under my pad thru the groundsheet/poncho head hole, but it was probably less than a few tablespoons. As usual if your tent is providing proper coverage, short of a river flowing under you, things under the fly aren't getting wet and any ground saturation is minor and not a problem if you use a pad. However if I was going somewhere perpetually boggy, i'd have the full bathtub and separate rainjacket.
    See ya when I get there.

How do you get out to pee in the rain?
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    How do you get out to pee in the rain?
    I guess you open the head hole of your poncho-groundcloth and let 'er rip.

++ New Posts ++