WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My pack weight is almost always about 35 pounds for a 3 or 4 day trip. 6 pounds of that is my gregory baltoro pack. The baltoro is a great pack but it feels heavy even when its empty. I would like to get below 30 lbs for a long weekend hike. I think that its achievable however my hammock gear which is on the heavier side (hammock + tarp + suspension + top and bottom quilts = around 7.5 pounds) makes it challenging. My old big agnes seedhouse SL 1 and my tarp camping days 40 years ago made having a lighter pack pretty easy.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    however my hammock gear which is on the heavier side (hammock + tarp + suspension + top and bottom quilts = around 7.5 pounds) makes it challenging.
    Or easy as you identified where you can cut significant weight. I'm not a hammocker but my tenting equivalent is 3.5 lbs (or a bit less) for equal functionality.

Images

Can certainly cut weight on the hammock setup. Mine is 3.75 pounds total. I use a homemade pack which is similar to the ULA Circuit, however it only weighs a third as much at 13.5 oz. It also cost me about $180 less than the Circuit. Between the two that would cut your weight by 8+ pounds.
    I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

I'll check it out more closely. Thanks. My initial impression was that it's more for an ultralighter than a light weight backpacking guy, but I didn't look that closely.

I caught the outdoor bug in the Allegheny National Forest and the Tionesta River not far from you. I'm from NW PA.
    I'm in the ANF quite often. In fact, the annual A-100 endurance event is coming up in a few weeks (100 miles of the North Country Trail in the ANF). If you decide to get the Mariposa, visit my Special Deals page; you'll be glad you did.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I'm in the ANF quite often. In fact, the annual A-100 endurance event is coming up in a few weeks (100 miles of the North Country Trail in the ANF). If you decide to get the Mariposa, visit my Special Deals page; you'll be glad you did.
    We had a cabin on the upper sheriff run and PA 666 when I was growing up. It was just a few steps from the tan bark or north country trail (don't remember which, but memory tells me that they both shared the same path back in the 70's - could be be wrong). Anyhow I miss that place and the hemlock trees. North Georgia is nice but the "Big Woods" in NW PA will always have my heart!

I will check out your special deals page. Thanks

Images

I went ULA a couple years ago and am completely satisfied.

I was torn, however, between the Circuit and the OHM 2.0. So I called, and the ULA guy (Chris?) suggested I simply buy both, try 'em out and ship back the one I didn't want in the original box (one box had both packs). He even included a paid return shipping label. I wound up with the OHM 2.0 because it was plenty of pack.

Because you want a larger pack, perhaps you could do the same with the Circuit and the Catalyst? If it turns out you want neither, the ULA guy will of course accept returns. I betcha the Circuit will do ya, but this is just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick3y View Post
    Can certainly cut weight on the hammock setup. Mine is 3.75 pounds total. I use a homemade pack which is similar to the ULA Circuit, however it only weighs a third as much at 13.5 oz. It also cost me about $180 less than the Circuit. Between the two that would cut your weight by 8+ pounds.
    True about cutting weight by using a lighter hammock. I also have a homemade gathered end hammock that weighs about 10 ounces, but I sleep much better in the Clark. I use the homemade hammock before the bugs come back and after it warms up a little. I did a weight comparison of my old tent, footprint, pad and sleeping bag to my clark tx-250 with huge tarp (10' x 11') and quilts and the difference between the two is only about a pound and a few ounces which I can live with.

I have considered making my own backpack. The G4 is a little too light weight for me, but its the only published plan that I could find that was even close to what I wanted to do. Did you design your own pack or use a published design?

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. There are some ideas presented that I hadn't thought about and I will check out all of them. Just to clarify things a bit, I am not an ultralight backpacker and don't see myself ever doing that. I do own a scale and I'm weight conscious. I weigh things and make choices.

I just want to cut my load a bit and a new pack could easily cut 3 pounds. I'd be satisfied with that. I realize a 3 pound pack is really not something ultralighters aspire to, its just I figured that I would get more advice about finding a lighter pack in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I went ULA a couple years ago and am completely satisfied.

I was torn, however, between the Circuit and the OHM 2.0. So I called, and the ULA guy (Chris?) suggested I simply buy both, try 'em out and ship back the one I didn't want in the original box (one box had both packs). He even included a paid return shipping label. I wound up with the OHM 2.0 because it was plenty of pack.

Because you want a larger pack, perhaps you could do the same with the Circuit and the Catalyst? If it turns out you want neither, the ULA guy will of course accept returns. I betcha the Circuit will do ya, but this is just a guess.
    Pretty good idea. Thanks.

Images

I have considered making my own backpack. The G4 is a little too light weight for me, but its the only published plan that I could find that was even close to what I wanted to do. Did you design your own pack or use a published design?
    I looked at several different commercial pack designs and a few patterns I found online. I ended up going with Dyneema GridStop and 200D Ripstop with donor straps from an X-Games pack from Goodwill. Here are a couple of the links still in my favorites from when I was looking for ideas for my DIY:

homemade ultralight backpack | DIY Fun Projects
    Backpack Ideas
    More Backpack Pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Mick3y View Post
    I looked at several different commercial pack designs and a few patterns I found online. I ended up going with Dyneema GridStop and 200D Ripstop with donor straps from an X-Games pack from Goodwill. Here are a couple of the links still in my favorites from when I was looking for ideas for my DIY:

homemade ultralight backpack | DIY Fun Projects
    Backpack Ideas
    More Backpack Pattern
    Thanks. I like making my own gear. I had a similar idea about the straps. I thought I might be able to pick up an old rei ridgeline 65 for a few dollars on ebay and use it as a donor for the straps and hip belt. The pack is really just a bag with some pockets. My goodwill never has any backpacking or outdoor stuff. However, i always check it out since its right next door to rei here. A month ago I picked up a lightweight merino wool pullover sweater (long underwear weight) for $6.50 and a pair of crocs for $2.00. A similar sweater at rei was about $90.

Images

Both good scores. I checked pretty much daily for a couple weeks looking for a bag with good straps. The bag also had a waist belt too. Simple, but functional.

When making a pack you definitely want to determine the volume before you sew it. I made my first pack and when it was all said and done, it was about twice as big as I needed. That basically resulted in double work because I had to tear it all apart and cut the side panels and bottom, then re-sew.

The next pack I made was pretty much perfect for volume because of that mistake. However in my rush to complete it I sewed the side panels on the wrong sides. I finished it and was stoked, then I tested ease of removing/packing water bottles when wearing it and that's when I noticed. Double work, again.

MYOG is a great. Saves a ton of money and in most cases, weight. I made my pack, TQ, UQ, hammock and suspension, tarp, rain gear and several stuff sacks.

Here is a larger pack that I had over looked from Granite Gear.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/grani...er#review31491

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

We had a cabin on the upper sheriff run and PA 666 when I was growing up. It was just a few steps from the tan bark or north country trail (don't remember which, but memory tells me that they both shared the same path back in the 70's - could be be wrong). Anyhow I miss that place and the hemlock trees. North Georgia is nice but the "Big Woods" in NW PA will always have my heart!
    Yes, the SE end of the Tanbark Trail connects to the current path of the North Country Trail; familiar with the area. Would love to have a cabin in that area. Lots of nice trails and scenery.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++