WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Raingear on the trail.

I've found that I get just as wet from sweating inside a poncho as I would w/o one from the rain. Is there any benefit to wearing rain gear?

Personally I only wear Rain Gear in the colder months, November through Early March even then it just a rain coat and Gaitors the rest of the year i don't wear rain gear but i do carry a light weight rain coat for extra layering on the cool nights and early mornnings.

Thanks! That helps

And NO their is no Benefit to wearing rain gear or not, it's all personnal preference.

The main benefit of even nonbreathable rain gear is that it prevents the cold rain outside the rain gear from sucking body heat away from the warmer moist/wet layer inside the rain gear, thereby preventing hypothermia.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Here's an article you might find useful. Bottom line - you will get wet. The objective isn't to stay dry but to stay warm.

http://sectionhiker.com/why-you-shou...e-in-the-rain/

Thanks OMO!

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I agree with QiWiz and OMO. In the warmer months I just use a disposable poncho to cover me and my pack during quick rainstorms. But in the winter I carry along the Toggs to protect me from getting wet and chilled. Though, before putting it on, I'll usually strip off a layer or two to prevent them from sweating out. If I know I'm going to sweat like crazy under the poncho/raingear I want as little to get wet as possible while at the same time staying warm. In my experience, an unvented top stays pretty toasty, especially when climbing hills.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

a little bit side tracked, but if youre out on the A.T. (or pretty much anywhere) and its supposed to pour like crazy for the next 2-3 days, do you still hike and setup/breakdown in the rain? or do you take a few zeros? (or do you look for the nearest motel/hostel for a few zeros?

or hike on? I've been curious as to the most common outcome of hiking in pouring rain
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    a little bit side tracked, but if youre out on the A.T. (or pretty much anywhere) and its supposed to pour like crazy for the next 2-3 days, do you still hike and setup/breakdown in the rain? or do you take a few zeros? (or do you look for the nearest motel/hostel for a few zeros?

or hike on? I've been curious as to the most common outcome of hiking in pouring rain
    Technically, this is a thread in the LT section. But...the answer is "it depends." I've suited up to go walking in the rain but I'm a section hiker and have a deadline. A thru with no place to be at a particular time might choose to zero or at least hike to the next town and get a warm bed to sleep in. It all depends.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

...and then there's the old adage.

"No Rain, No Maine"

in other words, if you want to get to Maine, you'll eventually have to hike in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...and then there's the old adage.

"No Rain, No Maine"

in other words, if you want to get to Maine, you'll eventually have to hike in the rain.

Your avatar scares me.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Your avatar scares me.
    it is a little dark.

...all fixed

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    it is a little dark.

...all fixed

Thanks. Much better. No nightmares now.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Here's an article you might find useful. Bottom line - you will get wet. The objective isn't to stay dry but to stay warm.

http://sectionhiker.com/why-you-shou...e-in-the-rain/
    that is a site I booked marked thanks

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Something I do if it's cool but isn't too-too cold is to keep my dry top and dry rain jacket accessible and just get wet.

When I stop and get under cover I put on the dry top and dry rain jacket and get warm and dry pretty quick. Generally speaking unless we're talking hypothermia weather as long as I'm moving I'm good, even if it's pouring.

On the AT, I find the unbrella hat to be all I need unless it starts to get cold.

I've long ago gotten used to hiking in the rain and getting wet. It's inevitable. I embrace it. Have even learned to enjoy it.

However, I feel that doesn't necessarily mean I need to be wet in all types of conditions or every time it rains on every hike. Not every hike is an AT hike. It doesn't rain the same way in different geographical areas or at different seasons. Rain patterns can and do change based on these factors. Where and how you're hiking plays into this too. For example a light rain or afternoon short duration but perhaps heavy rain at elevation while on the Colorado Tr in August at a higher elevation is different than those all day rains sometimes lasting consecutive days one might encounter in the Pacific Northwest or say thru-hiking the AT in Virginia during typical thru-hiker season or being wet for perhaps days in the Quebec back country when even during summer the nights(and sometimes days) can be downright chilly. I take these factors into consideration when opting for rain wear/a no rainwear system. In general IMO most multi day overnight hikers are best served most often by carrying, intelligently using, and expanding on the use of some form of rain protection.

Personally, I feel the term rain wear/using rain wear can lead to misconceptions as it leads to the ideas like it's used just when it's raining or it will keep you bone dry. In my mind and apparel/kit system I view rain wear in a broader sense. It's something that adds to me being warm for the reason QWiz stated, even if I do get damp or slightly wet, but also is worn dry sleeping in it to add warmth(sometimes using a rain jacket and rain pants as an impromptu VBL like addition to my sleep system), and as a wind jacket to again keep me warm. An UL sub 7 oz highly breathable rain jacket for me is a multi conditional multiple use piece. Others have different systems that can work equally well staying warm.

If you eliminate the rain wear and do get drenched be sure you are able to stay warm which can be complex to accomplish. This is worth consideration and experimentation before encountering back country weather conditions faced with no rain wear from the onset. IMO this even applies to summer hiking as temps and exposures can easily change keeping in mind to not narrowly focus on answers here based solely on summer AT rain conditions or the character of the AT. This probably is even more critical in backcountry Canadian weather conditions. IMO, if you don't do this you are setting yourself up for trouble like creating a very real greater risk of hypothermia or being absolutely drenched multiple consecutive days in a row while long distance or on multi day backpacking backcountry treks. Either situation isn't so great. With no rain protection, even if that rain protection doesn't keep you absolutely bone dry, it can lead to greater problems.

I need to rethink my rain gear after my experience on the Colorado Trail. I used the OR Helium II jacket and Dri ducks pants. While moving, I never had issues staying warm as I produce enough body heat at my pace on most terrain and I don't expect my rain gear to not wet out from perspiration. But what bothers me is that the helium wet out after 30-45 minutes of sustained rain even when stationary (in camp or waiting out a downpour). As a result, I couldn't use my down parka layered under my rain jacket in camp. In fact the only way to stay warm while not moving was often to set up camp and get into my sleeping bag. I found that out the hard way getting really chilled waiting out a downpour only to have to set up camp to avoid getting into dangerous territory wrt hypothermia. As for the pants, the dri ducks are actually quite serviceable but not durable. They were in shreds by the end of the hike, the victim of small shubs that often encroached on the trail. But the were super cheap and repairable with duct tape.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

It definitely was the Helium II? The OR Helium II was new? and it still wet out? in only 45 mins of sustained rain?

If yes to all four questions thank you for the feedback. I was wondering about these exact things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++