Default Female Hammock hangers

I'm considering using a hammock for my next trip (it's on the SHT, and we don't have shelters) and I'm just wondering if there are any ladies out there who've done this before? From what I read, it seems to be comfortable in rocky sections or cruddy sections and lighter than a tent (at least my tent). Just don't hear a lot of ladies talking about using them and I'm wondering why not? Is there a down side?

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Superbugz, I just posted about considering switching from tent to hammock for my thru next year. Ran into a couple who both hammock camp camping up near Stockbridge shelter. They let me climb in and try them out. I liked them. Both Henessey asymmetrical hammocks one with a side zipper closure, one with bottom Velcro closure. I liked the side zip best. Looking to pick one up shortly to give it a swirl. Liked the idea of not having to worry about wet tent bottoms, rocks where I want to pitch, setting up in the snow - I'm heading out in March. Be interested to see what everyone says. The wife really liked hers, though she says she was prepared not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

Check out HammockForums.net All hammocks all the time. They will be able to guide you and help you out
    Blackheart

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Yes check out HammockForums.net. There are several lady hammock hangers there. Sue "Hammock Hanger" Turner and "Redhat" both thrum hiked the AT using hammocks as well as the JMT. "Sparktofire" also thru hiked the AT with a hammock.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

I've been using my hammock for almost three years. At first, I used a Hennesey with the Velcro bottom. It was okay. Then my hubby bought me a Warbonnet. It's fabulous! I love this thing. It's like sleeping on a cloud. Weight wise, I think it's pretty equal to most light tents. I like that I can hang in spots where you can't comfortably tent.
    ATT_1401796203853_photo.JPG

I'm not thru this year (my husband is) but we picked up a Hennesey Hammock (deep jungle xl) at trail days (best sale EVER) and I will get a week on the AT to use it in July. I decided to do a hammock because I've had four kids and my hips are no longer up to the idea of sleeping on the ground. I've set it up several times and have taken wonderful naps in it. Can't wait to camp with it. I've only done tent camping before now so this will be an adventure.

+1 for heading over to hammockforums.com

Be prepared to spend countless hours researching, best to do it BEFORE you buy a hammock though.

While we don't have a separate forum section for women hangers, here's a link to an upcoming women only group hang. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...All-Women-Hang

or you can find other threads about specific questions some have had about being female and hanging.

Thanks everyone for the advice and awesome leads for more information. I will definitely check them out. I guess my main question is if you have a hammock where do you change or clean up or do some of those personal things that you'd otherwise do in your tent?

Quote Originally Posted by Superbugz View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice and awesome leads for more information. I will definitely check them out. I guess my main question is if you have a hammock where do you change or clean up or do some of those personal things that you'd otherwise do in your tent?
    I made sure that my tarp is large enough and has doors so that I can have room and privacy. If you're trying to just carry a minimal tarp then I can see it becoming a problem. Some of the guys with minimal tarps change their clothes lying in their hammock but I can't see giving myself a sponge bath laying in the hammock and then trying to sleep in the wet spot....

With my tarp I have more room than I would ever have in a backpacking tent. I can stand up under it when it's hung high enough and I never have to crawl around on my knees.

Hammocks are wonderful for those of us who just cannot do ground sleeping any more! I even have my grandchildren camping in hammocks (age 4 and 7). I will be taking a short hike in july in Maryland's section of the AT and the hammock will be my best friend...don't do shelters if I can help it...too noisy!!

I have 5 hammocks, 2 different Hennessey, Skeeterbeeter, ENO and a Tentsile type I sewed. They're all different and have their own purpose. Sometimes I use the rain fly ' s that came with "the system" other times I carry a larger tarp for more coverage and privacy. I use "snakeskins" on all the packing tents for convenience. Let's you get the hammock out of the way to use the rain fly as a shelter for cooking etc. Also changed out the suspension systems for convenience and weight. I probably don't save any weight by going with a hammock, but like being up off the ground.

Images

For privacy when changing, I drop the sides low on my rain fly. The most anyone will see is my bare ankles

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I hike regularly with two ladies. We never have a problem cleaning up or changing. We just respect each other and just do not look when one is changing or whatever. Sometimes we will just say "changing" so the others will know.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

I use my hammock when not hiking with my dog. I have a Warbonnet Blackbird and Darien Ul. Both are asymmetrical lies and both have integrated bug nets! I sleep much more comfortably in a hammock than a tent!
    As for weight, about the same as my Tarptent Notch!
    I have a Hammock Gear cuben fiber tarp with doors that provides for privacy when hiking in mixed company.
    I highly recommend you give one a try!

Superbugz, in my Hiking Club, Trail Dames, I can count at least 20 female hammock hangers. More I am sure that I just haven't met yet. It seems to be catching on like wildfire and I personally think that is for many good reasons.....Comfort and versatility being at the top of my own personal list. I highly recommend that you give it a try as as many have said, Hammock Forums will be an indispensable guide to help you navigate thru the maze of more Hammock stuff than you ever thought possible. Happy trails and good luck to ya!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the great advice and support. I bought a ENO single hammock and rain fly, need a bug net and I should be set. I got a great deal at REI, figure I can upgrade after the season if all goes well and I want to invest more.

I recently started a thread on Hammock forums for the ladies. Its not a separate sub-forum, just a thread. We have had some great talks on there about privacy and other ladies/hammock concerns. I love my DIY hammock that my husband made me. Hammock and tarp together only weigh 35oz, and its a full four season tarp with doors. So much lighter than the Hennessy. Try things out!

On Hammock Forums I'm known as lil'princess.

Images

Also check out the trip planning subforum for group hangs in your area. These are a great way to see what your options on all things hammock are, and the knowledge and generosity of hammock hangers is legendary.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Another hanger of the female variety here! My daughter also tags along on some backpacking trips and hangs. I have 4 hammocks and 2 tarps.

You should look at the trip planning section of Hammockforums.net for an upcoming hang. Minnesota is famous for the "Frozen Butt Hangs" in the winter, and there are a lot of hangs nationwide during all times of the year. Hangs are an opportunity to meet other hangers, check out other people's gear and set-up, ask questions, learn DIY stuff related to hammocking, and an all around good time! There are usually a lot of women at the hangs as they tend to be family affairs.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I hang, and try not to sleep on the ground.....trying to convert the rest of the family.

I just change under my asym tarp with the sides down. No problems. I have two hennessy's and a BIAS. Looking into getting a blackbird if I can snag one FS on hammock forums. Glad you took the plunge! Happy Hanging!

++ New Posts ++